watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

MOTD

Started by Jims Dentist, April 27, 2020, 11:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims Dentist

I have seen a few of these shows on Sat night's since footie stopped. Lineaker asks Shearer and Wighty to name their top 10 Premiership:
Keepers, Defenders, Strikers etc in each show.
Last Saturday was "The Top 10 most Bonkers Premiership Moments".
Much of it was clips of the nominated 10 moments that included violent confrontations which the three of them discussed.
They went on to talk about other incidents that mostly they had an involvement in.
Lineaker mentioned an embarrassing moment while playing for England.
Shearer, who could likely tell a number of stories mostly kept a reign on what he said.
However Wrighty talked like they were in a bar together, seemingly forgetting that his stories were going to be broadcast.
Did anyone see this show and do you think that it went out uncensored by the BBC

RaySmith

Haven't seen any of these shows, but  interested in what you describe.

Well, to me, it sounds quite an entertaining show. I suppose if the presenters were very guarded in their stories, as we're used to footballers being these days, then it wouldn't have such appeal for the viewer - though not having seen the show it's hard to comment, but you seem to think the show should have been  censored in some way.

One thing, Ian Wright is very open and emotional. I heard his recent  appearance on  Desert Island Discs on BBC Radio 4, in which he  speaks of coming into pro football at a late age, after working as a  building labourer, and playing part time non -league, and having to give up leaving his job some  consideration, with a young family, and other important moments and people in his life, and  he is about the most emotional person I've ever heard on this show - frequently crying.

That's not unusual on this programme, dealing as it does with music relating to personal  experiences, but the tears are usually  more muted, just a  sob in the voice with the presenter quickly breaking in, but Wrighty often sounded close to breaking down with emotion, particularly speaking of a  teacher at his school  who'd been an important  mentor to him.

To me,  this made me warm to  him, but others probably dislike it.

But, as i say, I suppose i can't really comment on your comments on the show fully, without seeing it, and i might try to - you've made it seem worth seeing!

bog

Quote from: Jims Dentist on April 27, 2020, 11:38:19 PM
I have seen a few of these shows on Sat night's since footie stopped. Lineaker asks Shearer and Wighty to name their top 10 Premiership:
Much of it was clips of the nominated 10 moments that included violent confrontations which the three of them discussed.
They went on to talk about other incidents that mostly they had an involvement in.
Shearer, who could likely tell a number of stories mostly kept a reign on what he said.
However Wrighty talked like they were in a bar together, seemingly forgetting that his stories were going to be broadcast.
Did anyone see this show and do you think that it went out uncensored by the BBC

I saw this Jim. There were a few bleeps with Wrighty over language. We got some idea of what he did in that ref's room. I like to hear what goes on behind the scenes, behind the veneer of smoothness. We aint talking about knitting clubs, football is a very emotional game with so many different opinions things explode. I am glad he didn't hold back and they didn't cut some out....mind you if they did we wouldn't know would we.  He didn't mind saying about the time at Oldham when he wouldn't retreat 10 yards for the keeper to take free kick. He only did this to annoy the home crowd. When the ref warned he would be booked he turned to run away, the keeper then took the kick and this hit Wrighty on the back of the head and sent him flat in the mud. The crowd went mad with enjoyment! I do like Ian Wright.
I recommend the programme.

092.gif   

filham

I like Wright, generally says exactly what he thinks.
I must start watching the show.

ScalleysDad

This was the 'barmy moments' programme with the Cantonna incident winning on the pundits score cards. The top ten goal scorers was quite funny in that Shearer voted for himself and Wright had to concede he was right. Roy Keane features in a couple of programmes and as they struggle for topics I thought about a 'Ten despicable moments by Prem players' programme.
Keane on Halland, Saunders on Elliott, Henry and his handball against Ireland for starters

ALG01

Quote from: Jims Dentist on April 27, 2020, 11:38:19 PM

I saw it and did think it was amusing BUT I also felt that wright started out making light of what is extremely loutish bad behaviour. It would not be acceptable in the stree so should not be in a football context. Thugish behaviour to intimidate was being glorified in reality, and that just has to be wrong. There are not two moral codes, one for contact sport and one for everyone else.The game is supposed to be a contest of skill detrmining who is the better, not who is the more unpleasant. Keans approach to the game is repugnant to me and his attitude in life now is also. He should not be lauded but condemned. without his unpleasant aggresive behaviour he is just an ignorant, with it he is allowed to do well by intimidating people.

Keown is another. win at all costs, regardless of the consequence, whether you hurt or seriously injure your opponent has to be questioned. Wright made light of genuinely thuggish behaviour, that is very bad and clearly at the end somebody got him to add a bit of justification.

I generally thought the attitude displayed was very poor.

AND

They missed the most bonkers moment of all. Billy and the red card!

Twig

These have been entertaining and quite insightful programmes. They've provided me with a bit of football relief during these difficult times.