News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

It's not easy being self employed at the moment..

Started by SHADY1, November 18, 2010, 05:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHADY1

Anyone else out there who has to find and do their own work struggling at the moment.

My works mainly seasonal but I do so much more than just the gardening... However everytime theres  bad press about cut backs etc etc it definately has a knock on effect for us sole traders.

Who else out there's feeling it and what do you do .. maybe we could start a "keep it in the family page" and all employ each other ..
we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...

Tonywa

Must say I'm having a really good time at the moment - but who knows what's round the corner.  If only I could get rid of this ruddy virus and laryngytis which has been afflicting me for about three weeks now everything would be looking rosy.

The Doctor

I'm not self employed, but with about 5 months left before your taxes stop funding my PhD I am looking for work.  And there's next to nothing going.  I've lodged one application, and will have to pin all my hopes on that.  Problem is, I'm pretty much limited to public sector work and no-one's taking a decision on how to manage the finances so everything's permanently on hold until someone finds the bottle to take a decision.  Which isn't likely to happen this side of, well, eternity.

So if things pick up for you Shady, give us a shout.  My hydrological expertise should qualify me for pond maintenance and installation

Lighthouse

I think most people know I now work with my Sis as a bookkeeper. We found the last few years very hard as did the few small business people we were involved with. However things are a little better now BUT we still lose the odd new start up company within a few years. Although since my Mum passed on last year we have been stretched at keeping on her place and will have to sell my flat at some point to afford to do the garden of my Mums house plus keeping it from falling down.

When the time comes I will try and put work the way of any FOFER

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fletchino

I'm a central heating engineer is starting to pick up for me now  I have the weather to thank for that I am available for boiler installations and central heating upgrades gas safe registered 10% off for fulham season ticket holders  

WHITEwitch

Yes it's pretty tough.

Our main income was recruitment and our business is always first to go in a recession. We closed the company end of last year and took early retirement although that was health directed as well.

We've been self employed for most of our lives but from what I hear from my kids it isnt any picnic working for big companies either.  Seems like almost everyone is scared the axe will fall.

epsomraver

As some may know I run a tropical fish shop and have done for nearly 20 years,  and I have seen trade drop off over the last three years, first internet and Ebay,  I  become a free advice line , people phone up and ask what product needed then go off and buy it on the internet! there has been a lot of customers shutting tanks down and the only thing that keeps me going is we have a lot of maintenance contracts with Old peoples homes etc, that is now our bread and butter, retail is dead.

Scrumpy

I run my own business involved in marketing and print. We're also suffering from the internet effect, as well as the environmental concerns that people have about the printed word. Times change, and I guess that some whizz-kid somewhere is making a fortune with email marketing or search engine optimisation etc. Is anyone on this board making shed-loads from the new digital age? If so, let's hear from you.

Those of us involved with print or more traditional forms of marketing like direct mail are down to bare bones and working ridiculous hours to keep heads above water. We made a few redundancies last year to keep the Company afloat, but it means that those of us left are doing the work that 2 or 3 people used to do. There is very little margin left in any job nowadays, because there is always someone else who will do the job for cheaper. Still, I would rather work for myself than for someone else. I have friends who work for large Corporates and Banks, and they're all working silly hours too, so that they aren't next in line for the chop.

I guess we're all suffering a bit at the moment. What the hell was Lord Young going on about recently when he said that most people were better off. Get in the real world numb nuts!
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.