watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR. Need some advice on removing a wasp nest

Started by The Swan, May 03, 2020, 06:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

The wooden shed at the bottom of our garden named Craven Cottage used by our two grandchildren during school holidays.
As they have not been with us for a while I just thought I would check inside today.
Everything was fine apart from my wife spotted a small wasp nest on the ceiling.
Its about the size of a tennis ball. I did notice only one wasp entering and leaving the small nest.
As I am allergic to wasp stings I would like some advice on how to remove the wasp nest.
The Swan

OtherHodgson

Like you I'm allergic to wasp stings also. Here in the States our home improvement stores sell a hornet and wasp spray can that shoots a foamy stream 25ft.  Once it hits the nest those inside will start dropping to the floor immediately and dead in less than a minute. The key is to do it in the early evening when they have returned to the nest so you will get the majority of them.  I've used this many times and have never been stung.

Once they are all dead you can scrape the nest off and toss it in the garbage can, problem solved. 

Cheers and good luck!

COYW!

bobbo

Theres a powder available here UK you'll get it in B & Q it comes In a flexible tube point it at the nest squeeze it and it sprays out a jet of powder not only kills em but they can't fly coz it gets on their wings .
I've done it a couple of times very successful . But sorry can't remember what it's called.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

filham

I painfully remember having a wasp nest the size of a large coconut in my loft and in trying to remove it , it broke and I was in the loft with hundreds of angry wasps.  I did have some PPE on and survived with only 3 stings.

Deal with the matter before the nest becomes large but be sure to wear personal protective clothing.

bobbo

Swan just checked B & Q not got powder but there lots available on Amazon or eBay .

Don't touch it till you've belted it with the powder.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

70sPimlico

Dont mess about. Employ a pest controller. Nests this part of the season are pretty docile. The later in year it gets the more angry they are.

Don't do it yourself. Should be about £80

Woolly Mammoth

I have an old Flame 🔥 Thrower you may borrow.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

mrmicawbers

Blindfold the wife and tell her to hit the Pinata

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Swan on May 03, 2020, 06:22:44 PM
The wooden shed at the bottom of our garden named Craven Cottage used by our two grandchildren during school holidays.
As they have not been with us for a while I just thought I would check inside today.
Everything was fine apart from my wife spotted a small wasp nest on the ceiling.
Its about the size of a tennis ball. I did notice only one wasp entering and leaving the small nest.
As I am allergic to wasp stings I would like some advice on how to remove the wasp nest.

Who is a Wasps favourite singer ?
STING
If you come across this WASP do not kill him, let it 🐝 BEE.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Dead easy. Two good points made above: 1. do it while it's small 2. do it in the evening or when it's cool.

The cheap puffer-bottle of powder you can get in hardware shops for a couple of quid works a treat. Just puff a good quantity in through the entrance, the wapsies get it on them as they go in and out and it poisons those and the brood inside. Repeat after two or three days.

No need to pay crazy money for someone to come in.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

The Swan

My thanks to all for the useful tips for removing the nest.
I will have a look on line for some of that powder. If I can't find any I will  phone the local bee keeper.
Once again thanks to everyone.
The Swan

Plodder

As you are allergic to stings, I understand in your case, but for the information of others, unless a wasp nest is inside a room in the home or a small shed where people are spending time, you may not need to destroy them and their nest. They will not bother people as long as people don't bother them. If they are a nuisance in the home, fair enough, but otherwise they can be be left alone.  Wasp nests only last one year, and most nests are not treated but die out naturally. Consider whether or not it is absolutely necessary to destroy a nest; how much of a problem is it causing? Could you safely leave it alone? Wasps are beneficial to your garden helping with pollination and keeping other garden pests under control.

Andy S

I agree with plodder. But if you have to remove it then always wear Ppe, especially if you have allergies. Tape up sleeves and trouser legs and wear a mask. Then read what it says on the tin as they say and go from there. Good luck

Ronnief

I had a large wasps nest in my shed about the size of a football. I used a spray from B& Q which killed the wasps but I left the old nest in place to put off wasps returning. Apparently they won't return to an old nest site.

Colton F.C.

Advice from the RHS:

'Wasps are beneficial in gardens, they feed their grubs on caterpillars and other insects and can reduce pest populations. Wasps can be a nuisance mid to late summer and may damage ripe fruits. Disturbing a wasp nest when weeding or hedge trimming can result in multiple painful stings.'

'Where possible wasp nests should be left alone, they can help control nuisance invertebrates. The nests die out in late summer or autumn. Although never re-used the papery constructions can last several years.'

There is a dearth of insects in this country caused by bad farming practise. If your fruit is undamaged and they are not causing a nuisance do, your bit for nature and leave alone.

rebel

I got stung by a wasp or bee on the forehead. I had a BCG injection on the same day. To this day I have a small scare on my forehead from the wasp / bee.

There is another bee story, another day.

filham

Quote from: Andy S on May 03, 2020, 10:14:34 PM
I agree with plodder. But if you have to remove it then always wear Ppe, especially if you have allergies. Tape up sleeves and trouser legs and wear a mask. Then read what it says on the tin as they say and go from there. Good luck
Be sure to take a selfie of yourself in action and let us all know how you get on. We need some excitement to replace these lost football matches.

gang

They don't like detergent (washing up liquid) I have used that with success in the garden on a nest and they never returned.

rebel

mrmicawbers

Quote from: filham on May 04, 2020, 03:00:40 PM
Quote from: Andy S on May 03, 2020, 10:14:34 PM
Be sure to take a selfie of yourself in action and let us all know how you get on. We need some excitement to replace these lost football matches.
This has a possibility of going viral. Good Luck