more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Wimbledon’s New Stadium

Started by H4usuallysitting, May 10, 2020, 03:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WONKYTONKY

Quote from: Fulham 442 on May 10, 2020, 05:18:31 PM
Their Chief Executive, Joe Palmer, has been one of the driving forces as he wants to take the fans back to their spiritual home.  I believe the leasehold at Kingsmeadow is now owned by Chelsea as they purchased it in 2015 in order to use it for their women's and youth teams and to help AFC finance their new stadium.
Joe Palmer is a fairly new appointment. I would say Eric Samuelson was more instrumental before him. The fan funding initiative was pretty much driven purely by the fans and not so much Palmer. There was talk of needing to finally bite the bullet and sell the majority of the club to an "investor group." It was shut down pretty hard by the fans who stepped up with multiple crowd funding efforts and then with the bond scheme. The ground is going to be 1 permanent stand and 3 temp stands to begin with. You can see the flats on the old plough lane site from the new ground.

Neil D

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on May 10, 2020, 05:39:51 PM
That's all fine, but, with them back in the area, surely it poses a threat to our fanbase, no?

Maybe retrospectively.  As a Wandsworth boy looking for a club to support in the early 1960s, I would have chosen Wimbledon if they had been a fully professional club (instead of Southern League).  The 'glamour' of the 1st division seduced me away from the lowly Dons.  Oh, how fickle we fans are...

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Carborundum on May 10, 2020, 07:47:38 PM
Not everyone can have Billionaire owners.  The funding model for their initiative, involving a bond where hundreds of people are chipping in, is quite remarkable.  There are some really pragmatic and well-intentioned football people behind what's happening there and I wish them all the best.
Looking at the pictures of the stand it looks like there will be a lot of space above and beyond the seats for non match day commercial money making facilities which you would think would be a large part of their business plan.
For this to work good transport links and adequate parking need to be available.

domprague

It will be 9000 capacity so twice the capacity of Kingsmeadow. In the current ground the seating is sold out to season ticket holders and there's not much available on the day.
As for them pinching our support, won't Charlton and Crystal Palace have more to fear? Merton is on the other side of London.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: domprague on May 24, 2020, 02:43:13 PM
It will be 9000 capacity so twice the capacity of Kingsmeadow. In the current ground the seating is sold out to season ticket holders and there's not much available on the day.
As for them pinching our support, won't Charlton and Crystal Palace have more to fear? Merton is on the other side of London.

Blimey I hope you don't mind me saying this but please do not get a job as a Black Cab Driver, have you ever lived in London or visited long enough to read a Street map. Merton is not on the other side of London, and Wimbledons new ground is even nearer to Fulham than Merton even though it is in the borough of Merton.
Approx distance between Fulham and Merton 4 and a half miles.
Approx distance between Charlton and Merton 12/13 Miles.
Approx distance between  Crystal Palace and Merton 5 and a half miles.
Post code Fulham SW6
Post code Wimbledon/ Merton SW19.
Postcode Crystal Palace SE25
Postcode Charlton SE7
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

domprague

Blimey, my bad as I believe the young folk put it. I thought it was near the site of their old ground.
I see what everyone means now.

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 24, 2020, 06:49:42 PM

Blimey I hope you don't mind me saying this but please do not get a job as a Black Cab Driver, have you ever lived in London or visited long enough to read a Street map. Merton is not on the other side of London, and Wimbledons new ground is even nearer to Fulham than Merton even though it is in the borough of Merton.
Post code Fulham SW6
Postcode Charlton SE7

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: domprague on May 24, 2020, 07:31:09 PM
Blimey, my bad as I believe the young folk put it. I thought it was near the site of their old ground.
I see what everyone means now.

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 24, 2020, 06:49:42 PM

Post code Fulham SW6
Postcode Charlton SE7

Your right it is near the site of their old ground at plough lane, but the distances remain about the same.

Never forget your Roots.

H4usuallysitting

I am a Black Cab Driver....and I've never heard of any of these places......I would say Tooting & Mitcham are going to suffer.... they'll also get support from Kingston & Wandsworth...

Riversider

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on May 24, 2020, 08:17:21 PM
I am a Black Cab Driver....and I've never heard of any of these places......I would say Tooting & Mitcham are going to suffer.... they'll also get support from Kingston & Wandsworth...

Is Wandsworth closer to Plough Lane than it is to Stevenage Road  ?

domprague

I think they will pick up fans who fancy seeing live football without becoming a club member or paying a fortune.

deadcowboys

Quote from: Riversider on May 24, 2020, 08:28:10 PM

Some parts are & some parts are not. In any event the walk from Tooting Broadway or Wimbledon is a long one. Limited bus services from either direction too.

I always thought, though happy to be told otherwise was Wimbledon's demise started when gate receipts stopped being split as they relied on trips to Old Trafford, Liverpool etc to generate income to add to money from their pub & Nelson's night club.  And with a lack of a decent home crowd upped  sticks for MK.

I go past the new building site several times a week & when finished the ground will be surrounded by large blocks of flats. Be interesting to see if they can fill it.

domprague

London is never as the crow flies. I went to the old Plough Lane a couple of times from Hammersmith, once by car and once by public transport, and it took forever.
I would think that, if they were going to pinch from the West London teams they would have done so while in Kingston.
I also think that geography has little to do with who people support these days. That is, unless all the Man City shirts I see in South East England are from people who have popped down from Manchester for the day.

mrmicawbers

Not the easiest place to get to transport wise when it opens.Nothing to fear about them potentially stealing our fan base imo

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Riversider on May 24, 2020, 08:28:10 PM

As I said they'll get support from Wandsworth....from memory (did the knowledge, so long ago)... One side of Revelstoke Road is Wandsworth the other is Merton..... And Wandsworth is a very very big borough......It also appears AFC Wimbledon have been doing a great job with food parcels - with regard to support...if they're successful they'll fill it

H4usuallysitting

Haydons Road Station will be the nearest.....does anyone remember having a night out at Nelson's....with the sticky carpet...and always a punch up about 10 minute's before it closed

deadcowboys

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on May 25, 2020, 09:26:42 AM
Haydons Road Station will be the nearest.....does anyone remember having a night out at Nelson's....with the sticky carpet...and always a punch up about 10 minute's before it closed
You are correct Haydons Road is the nearest station but 2 trains an hour in the middle of winter wouldn't excite. I only went to Nelsons once, it was enough.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on May 25, 2020, 09:26:42 AM

Been to Nelsons as a punter, and I also worked on the door there, often a punch up there, and on the odd occasions there was a player involved. Their crazy gang was just that crazy. I remember after Wally Downs retired as a professional and a couple years later I played against him in a Sunday Sportsman's League Match at the old KLG Ground which is now Asda. It ended 2 2, He was a very very competitive player took no prisoners, and very cute, the sort of bloke you would rather have on your side.

Never forget your Roots.

H4usuallysitting

KLG was a nice ground....there was also a very nice ground at Manresa House..... I used to like a Friday night at Nelson's....and then a Saturday at Sinatra's Croydon..... Cheeky Pete's was another haunt & The Bird's-nest

domprague

I've been to Haydons Road a couple of times. The wait for a train was so long I thought it had been shut down after I arrived.