more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Transfer Deadline Day

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 27, 2020, 09:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on September 23, 2020, 05:02:05 PM
I think the closer to the end of the window we get to, and these players don't have new clubs, the more likely they will come to us, but I think early on in the window they will wait for bigger and better clubs
i would rather a player who isn't mentally up to scrap it out not come tbh,regardless of highly rated he is.
Foolish ham

Deeping_white

Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 23, 2020, 04:58:43 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Todibo won't come. Like I did Luis, Tah and Pique.

It's either a. a waste of time of b. a tactic by recruitment to appease fans (in the way that Wenger was notorious in the end when in consecutive summers they nearly signed Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Vieri and god knows who else).

Other teams are going after targets and getting them in instead of wasting time on targets that don't want to come to us. How long and how many bids for Luis now? 

So we shouldn't try to be ambitious and get really good players but instead just try and get those who maybe better than what we have but might not keep us up? Obviously it's harder to sign better players, they know they're better and can command better terms and will have plenty of interest. Pique was realistically never going to happen anyway, the only people reporting it first hand was a Peruvian newspaper, hardly DiMarzio

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: JimmyConway on September 23, 2020, 12:01:19 PM
Demarai Gray has been told he can leave Leicester. If we are going to continue stockpilling wingers he'd be a decent acquisition and likely to go straight to the head of the queue!
if he turns it on and brings some consistency he could be a special player. The talent is there,but needs consistency. If he knew he was going to start most weeks might give him that confidence he needs.
Foolish ham

BestOfBrede

Quote from: grandad on September 23, 2020, 04:30:06 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on September 23, 2020, 03:30:08 PM
Quote from: mrmicawbers on September 23, 2020, 03:29:05 PM
Quote from: MickeyAdamsFamily on September 23, 2020, 03:07:03 PM
Also, a question (or 3): is it possible that Marlon and Tobido know each other and played together at Barca? Were they in the academy together? Would it be appealing to them to play together again (in the Premier League), and might that make us a somewhat more favorable prospect than some other random, newly-promoted club?

I believe the biggest draw in bringing foreign players to the club is the fact we are London based.Having our training ground where it is must also be a factor.
why would Motspur park area be a draw?

Very close to the expensive players homes in Esher, Cobham, Ripley & easy to get to the Corrage.
Is that the OK Corrage?

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Deeping_white on September 23, 2020, 05:16:06 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Todibo won't come. Like I did Luis, Tah and Pique.

It's either a. a waste of time of b. a tactic by recruitment to appease fans (in the way that Wenger was notorious in the end when in consecutive summers they nearly signed Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Vieri and god knows who else).

Other teams are going after targets and getting them in instead of wasting time on targets that don't want to come to us. How long and how many bids for Luis now? 

So we shouldn't try to be ambitious and get really good players but instead just try and get those who maybe better than what we have but might not keep us up? Obviously it's harder to sign better players, they know they're better and can command better terms and will have plenty of interest. Pique was realistically never going to happen anyway, the only people reporting it first hand was a Peruvian newspaper, hardly DiMarzio

Within reason. Pique, if you remember correctly, had a whole load of folk on here saying why it would or could happen. Of course we should be going for good players, we probably shouldn't bother with a bif for Mpabbe though. It will be apparent early on (as with Luis) that they don't want to sign or are not fussed. That's the point we walk away and look at other options. Watch how fast his Monaco move now happens, that's the difference.

Or, you know, I'm wrong and the others are right and let's mess about all window trying to sign players with no interest in coming, one of which say  comes through on deadline due to lack of other options and mind is not really focussed on being here as it was a last resort. All the others all head elsewhere. leaving us with last minute scrambling in the Primark bargain bin to pick up whoever we can. Or worse, Fosu-Mensah.

Up to you, but I know which I would rather.

Nero

I think Fulham are just being sensible at the moment. No date for fans return premier saying clubs needs fans back. Are we just living within our means instead of throwing all the money at players that  could cripple the club financially. Think that's why we're doing so many loans to buy simply cash flow have money in back to afford to keep playing the wages and not have to sell off players because of no fans and having no money in the bank.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 23, 2020, 05:30:23 PM

Within reason. Pique, if you remember correctly, had a whole load of folk on here saying why it would or could happen. Of course we should be going for good players, we probably shouldn't bother with a bif for Mpabbe though. It will be apparent early on (as with Luis) that they don't want to sign or are not fussed. That's the point we walk away and look at other options. Watch how fast his Monaco move now happens, that's the difference.

Or, you know, I'm wrong and the others are right and let's mess about all window trying to sign players with no interest in coming, one of which say  comes through on deadline due to lack of other options and mind is not really focussed on being here as it was a last resort. All the others all head elsewhere. leaving us with last minute scrambling in the Primark bargain bin to pick up whoever we can. Or worse, Fosu-Mensah.

So...people really think we submit a bid for a player without asking the player and his agent?

If Luis goes to Monaco its because of Benica wanting to hold on to his future rights.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: Nero on September 23, 2020, 05:34:56 PM
I think Fulham are just being sensible at the moment. No date for fans return premier saying clubs needs fans back. Are we just living within our means instead of throwing all the money at players that  could cripple the club financially. Think that's why we're doing so many loans to buy simply cash flow have money in back to afford to keep playing the wages and not have to sell off players because of no fans and having no money in the bank.
not the best climate to be taking unecessary risks in even if our owner is worth 7 billion.
Foolish ham

ByTheRiver

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on September 23, 2020, 05:43:45 PM

So...people really think we submit a bid for a player without asking the player and his agent?

If Luis goes to Monaco its because of Benica wanting to hold on to his future rights.

No, that's kind of the point I made with 'it will be apparent early on...'. Of course those conversations happen. Hence why it should be easy to gauge.

The other point you try and make about them wanting to hold his registration damns the recruitment team even more I'm afraid! So perhaps a poor choice of example. As yes, if it is the case that Benfica never wanted a deal with a buy clause and always only wanted a loan, why in gods name have we wasted the entire window and at least three bids (all with a buy clause in)?

Answers on a postcard...

grandad

Quote from: BestOfBrede on September 23, 2020, 05:17:59 PM
Also, a question (or 3): is it possible that Marlon and Tobido know each other and played together at Barca? Were they in the academy together? Would it be appealing to them to play together again (in the Premier League), and might that make us a somewhat more favorable prospect than some other random, newly-promoted club?

I believe the biggest draw in bringing foreign players to the club is the fact we are London based.Having our training ground where it is must also be a factor.

Very close to the expensive players homes in Esher, Cobham, Ripley & easy to get to the Corrage.
Is that the OK Corrage?

My fat fingers, Cottage. Why don´t they have more space between the keys like the old type writers
Where there's a will there's a wife

BestOfBrede

Quote from: grandad on September 23, 2020, 06:05:22 PM
Quote from: BestOfBrede on September 23, 2020, 05:17:59 PM

Is that the OK Corrage?

My fat fingers, Cottage. Why don´t they have more space between the keys like the old type writers
:005:
I have the same problem, don't worry!

keithh

Can we recruit players who look up before they pass please as we were fortunate tonight. Yes, a good win & progress to the next round but when we get a free kick or a throw in we do we tend to back off a few yards rather than nick a few yards. Did our goalkeeper receive the most passes tonight I wonder?

Sting of the North

You seem to mostly complain now based on little but your own assumptions based on a few media reports. I'll give it a quick try with a few guesses:

- You probably have no idea if it was apparent or not from the start whether our alleged targets wanted to come here.
- You probably don't know how many other options we are looking at simultaneously, or whether looking at one exclude looking at others.
- You probably don't know the process for other teams, how long it took and how many they missed out on. Personally I mostly see the done deals for other teams,and thus it always seems like everybody is getting players in all the time.

Those are just my guesses, and maybe you are in the know.

To add my own thoughts: If we only ever go for players that has Fulham on or very near the top of their list I would guess that we end up with a pretty mediocre team. It is up to our recruitment team to sell the idea, but we cannot only aim for the sure thing. That will continue to be a big hurdle when we are newly promoted, because we have gone from being one of the most attractive teams in our league to one of the least. Hopefully they will manage to pull a few good deals off soon.

Also, we have already signed 6 players I believe, so we are not doing nothing.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Sting of the North on September 23, 2020, 09:18:47 PM

You seem to mostly complain now based on little but your own assumptions based on a few media reports. I'll give it a quick try with a few guesses:

- You probably have no idea if it was apparent or not from the start whether our alleged targets wanted to come here.
- You probably don't know how many other options we are looking at simultaneously, or whether looking at one exclude looking at others.
- You probably don't know the process for other teams, how long it took and how many they missed out on. Personally I mostly see the done deals for other teams,and thus it always seems like everybody is getting players in all the time.

To add my own thoughts: If we only ever go for players that has Fulham on or very near the top of their list I would guess that we end up with a pretty mediocre team. It is up to our recruitment team to sell the idea, but we cannot only aim for the sure thing. That will continue to be a big hurdle when we are newly promoted, because we have gone from being one of the most attractive teams in our league to one of the least. Hopefully they will manage to pull a few good deals off soon.

I pity you, honestly, I can only assume you like the taste of boot polish.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 23, 2020, 06:02:08 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on September 23, 2020, 05:43:45 PM

No, that%u2019s kind of the point I made with %u2018it will be apparent early on...%u2019. Of course those conversations happen. Hence why it should be easy to gauge.

The other point you try and make about them wanting to hold his registration damns the recruitment team even more I%u2019m afraid! So perhaps a poor choice of example. As yes, if it is the case that Benfica never wanted a deal with a buy clause and always only wanted a loan, why in gods name have we wasted the entire window and at least three bids (all with a buy clause in)?

Answers on a postcard...

So, (hypothetically) Benfica a month or two ago....are approached by Fulham to see if they'd be interested in selling Florentino (who knows why)?     Benfica says "sure, if you want to loan him just pay us enough and we'd let him go"

TK "No, not to simply loan...a loan to buy"

Benfica " Well, we greatly value this player.  He's highly looked after.  Other teams would pay us a lot to buy him outright.   He has a high buy out clause"

TK..."ok, here's our first offer"

Few weeks later  "here's our next offer"

Then...Fulham sign TWO players (Reed, Lemina) that can play Florentino's position...not knowing if they would actually get the young player...but still wanting him.   They keep the offer on the table, waiting to see if anyone else gets the player...they offer a 3 bid (still knowing that they have Lemina whose more than cable of being a CDM)..and for whatever reason Benfica continue to play hard ball.

I'm sure TK didn't assume we were the only organization speaking with Benfica, or that Benfica...learning how much Fulham are willing to spend...wouldn't reach out to other organizations saying "hey, Fulham offered this...you've wanted our player in the past, will you beat their offer"

As of now Florentino Luis is a player that the team wants, but he's in no way a player that the team needs, nor have they needed since bringing in Reed and Lemina.  He's a good player that makes the headlines. But he still hasn't signed for anyone else either.

And if he doesn't want to come to Fulham...Fulham wouldn't have submitted the offer.  He can't make Benfica sell.  Heck, he can't even make them play him every important game.

But Tony can continue to play the long game because it doesn't impact the team in a negative way.

Your hypothetical situation implies that Tony is sitting around hoping Benfica bite while he's not doing anything else.

Tabby

absenteeism

White Noise Retweeted
Tony Khan
@TonyKhan
·
11m
Thank you
@FulhamFC
fans worldwide for supporting the Club, & thank you to our squad & staff for our win tonight in the Cup! The recruitment team & I will continue to work every day with Scott & his staff to do our best to support the team in the Premier League! Come on Fulham!

Deeping_white

Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 23, 2020, 09:26:41 PM

He makes plenty of good points and if that's your response then clearly you've got no counter argument whatsoever.

And to reply to what you were saying to me and echo what SoTN was saying - if we want players that only want to be here then we can ring up Rochdale and sign their entire back four and have them in the door by Friday. Good players will need convincing to join, usually means we may have to give them an inflated salary but realistically we can say "we'll put you in the shop window so come and perform for us and get yourself a better move in 1-2 years time". I'm sure Anguissa moving from Europa League finalists to a newly promoted club would've taken good convincing but look at him now, he's our best midfielder by a country mile and we're giving him a platform to show how good he really is. If we stay up and he has a storming season then I fully expect a bigger PL club to be interested in him, which is how we should sell the "Fulham dream" to potential signings who've got bigger aspirations than us

Sting of the North

Quote from: ByTheRiver on September 23, 2020, 09:26:41 PM

This childish response was uncalled for, sorry for assuming that you had any sort of interest in discussing instead of complaining. Maybe if you instead tried to back up your own arguments with some substance, then you wouldn't have to resort to twitter levels of insults.

Just a pointer, the world is not black or white.