watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Foreign Football Teams

Started by Russianrob, June 03, 2020, 11:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russianrob

Having lived in a few countries in my lifetime and being addicted to football l have adopted other teams because they remind me of Fulham.A strict rule l have is that must play in black and white like my first love Fulham.ln Greece for a few years regularly watched a team called PAOK.Anyone else adopted a foreign team seriously or seen the mighty PAOK play?

Ronnief

Some time ago I used to watch Torrevieca play in a Spanish lower league. As the ex-pat community increased many English fans started attending matches there and I really enjoyed sitting in the sun watching their matches. Some very poor referees resulted in many dismissals at least 8 in one match including the managers. So Torrevieca became a favourite team of mine alongside Kingstonians. However Fulham will always be my number one. 092.gif 

keith

Quote from: Ronnief on June 03, 2020, 12:25:34 PM
Some time ago I used to watch Torrevieca play in a Spanish lower league. As the ex-pat community increased many English fans started attending matches there and I really enjoyed sitting in the sun watching their matches. Some very poor referees resulted in many dismissals at least 8 in one match including the managers. So Torrevieca became a favourite team of mine alongside Kingstonians. However Fulham will always be my number one. 092.gif 
Yep, I watched Torrevieja for a few Seasons but, as you say, the atrocious Refereeing put me off.

sunburywhite

I started following Royale Union Saint-Gilloise about 10 years ago for the stupid reason I noticed they had 2 Ghanaian players on loan from Fulham (who I never had heard of and had never played for Fulham)

http://www.rusg.brussels/albums/1/en

When I looked at the pictures of the main stand it struck me how much it looked like our ground

http://www.rusg.brussels/article/le-stade-joseph-marien/en
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Cambridge Pete

092.gif ::off_Topic: Used to work for Chicago Tribune who owned the Cubs. Wrigley Field always reminded me of Craven Cottage in that it was old, full of character and homely. Bit of an anachronism in today's game but beautiful in its own way.

Penfold

Follow NEC from Nijmegen and try to get out to a game most seasons but haven't been since September 2018 (managed to pop across to Dusseldorf for a game the following day). Quite a few NEC'ers follow our results still (some may recall their supporters club trips to Fulham in early to mid 200s).

City is not exactly old world Netherlands that many people love due to serious damage in World War II. However, plenty of good bars and eateries. Goffert Stadium is quite compact having been modernised about 20 years ago (capacity of 12,500). Nice setting in the Goffertpark.

They are not having a great time of it as present (mid table in second tier, whereas top half in Eredivisie not so long ago).

Well worth a trip, and with second tier games often on a Friday, gives you a chance to do another game elsewhere on the weekend. As mentioned above, did Fortuna Dusseldorf last time I was there. Previous year, went to the nearby town of Groesbeek and watched Achiles '29 who were then in Dutch third tier on the Saturday evening.

AnOldBrownie

So...since I'm in Los Angeles I'm confused as to whether or not you find my supporting Manchester United or LAFC as being foreign squads.

If you meant foreign to English squads...LAFC fits the bill.

If you meant foreign to my home country...Fulham and Manchester United fit that bill.

If you mean in general...I like Dortmund as well.

fulhamtom

Lens in France. Been about 15 times.  Great atmosphere and quite essy to get to a game via the tunnel or ferry. Not been for around 5 years though. Also Herha Berlin as my oldest now lives there and it's her husbands tea. They are unveaten in 3 since Covid stopped games started up again. Hopefully we can match them.

fulhamtom

Sorry shouldn't type a response on a mobile!

Stef 73

Karpaty lviv. Poor top flight Ukrainian team but grandad was born and lived there until end of ww2 when he was brought to England as a prisoner of war

SP

Valencia, been a few times as its reasonably close to where we go on holiday.

Tempest

Not football but handball, Győr Audi, very good team in what I think is an excellent sport

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

FFChris

Orlando City in the MLS.  Mainly for the reason my 'bestie' lives in Florida and when I visit and we go to their games it brings back great memories of going to football together when he lived in the UK.  Nice stadium with some quite knowledgeable and very friendly fans.

Mince n Tatties

Always liked Benfica,because of the great Eusebio.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 04, 2020, 04:49:57 PM
1860 Munich, Bray (IRE),
Angers. Used to get to games for the first two. Only went to Angers twice but look out for their scores.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

sunburywhite

Quote from: Vinnieffc on June 05, 2020, 08:27:28 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 04, 2020, 04:49:57 PM
1860 Munich, Bray (IRE),
Angers. Used to get to games for the first two. Only went to Angers twice but look out for their scores.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

1860 Munich and Slovan Brataslava were my Subbeteo teams back in late 70's
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Cambridge Pete

If it has to be a football team then St Pauli. My son and I went to the new stadium about five yeas ago. Fantastic atmosphere. Outside a lot of people smoking funny cigarettes!

sunburywhite

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on June 05, 2020, 09:55:55 AM
If it has to be a football team then St Pauli. My son and I went to the new stadium about five yeas ago. Fantastic atmosphere. Outside a lot of people smoking funny cigarettes!

Plus Moritz Voltz joined them after he left us

Jim©

Feyenoord due to dutch family ties. What a place the stadium is and hard to beat for atmosphere.

bog

Many, many years ago I learnt of Torino's horrific plane crash in 1949. They were a top club in Italy then, every player was killed and they have never really recovered from that tragedy. I like to keep an eye on their results.