watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

1966 at 1:30pm today

Started by filham, June 07, 2020, 11:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Channel 4 at 1-30, the complete England v West Germany world cup final, in colour I believe.
When did we last see a Fulham player in the England team doing so well.

KJS

filham

Quote from: KJS on June 07, 2020, 12:46:38 PM
We win 4-2 aet
You didn't have to mention that, there may be someone somewhere who you have just spoilt things for.
However later this afternoon we will again discuss if our third goal was over the line.

gang

I will watch the first 90 minutes. 😭

filham

Well just learnt that George Cohen was England's vice captain in that match.

filham

What a match, what a win and how sporting every player was.
Those were the days.

bog

Good to watch again, but why did they keep on breaking into the film with interviews? Did we really need to hear what Jo Brand made of the occasion? Alan Ball was phenomenal in extra time. I had forgotten his cheeky back heel. 

Only gripe I had at the time was that Johnny Haynes was not given a game to be considered before the original 27 was named and then whittled down to 22.

092.gif   

bog

Quote from: filham on June 07, 2020, 02:37:30 PM
Well just learnt that George Cohen was England's vice captain in that match.

Me likewise.

filham

Quote from: bog on June 07, 2020, 04:45:12 PM
Good to watch again, but why did they keep on breaking into the film with interviews? Did we really need to hear what Jo Brand made of the occasion? Alan Ball was phenomenal in extra time. I had forgotten his cheeky back heel. 

Only gripe I had at the time was that Johnny Haynes was not given a game to be considered before the original 27 was named and then whittled down to 22.

092.gif   
Remember the Ramsey formation was without wingers and somehow he must have felt that Haynes would not be fully effective under this situation. I Always felt that the 1966 team would have been even better with Haynes and Greaves in it.

Dr Know

Quote from: filham on June 07, 2020, 04:59:38 PM
Quote from: bog on June 07, 2020, 04:45:12 PM

092.gif   
Remember the Ramsey formation was without wingers and somehow he must have felt that Haynes would not be fully effective under this situation. I Always felt that the 1966 team would have been even better with Haynes and Greaves in it.
Jimmy Greaves was quoted as saying he thought Haynes was a better player than B Charlton.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on June 07, 2020, 01:35:40 PM
Quote from: KJS on June 07, 2020, 12:46:38 PM
We win 4-2 aet
You didn't have to mention that, there may be someone somewhere who you have just spoilt things for.
However later this afternoon we will again discuss if our third goal was over the line.

I was at Wembley that day and I happen to have had a tape measure on me and i can confirm it was over the line, and you can also ask the Russian Lino.
But it's irrelevant as it happens as the 4th goal was definitely over the line, no question about that.  ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Johnny in for Nobby Stiles?

092.gif

filham

Looking at that replay brings to mind how much we enjoyed football in those days and such value for money.
Of course football was so different in 1966. Not so much diving, players payed much less, the game more open, grounds in need of development, more affordable to the fans, not many players from overseas, no VAR, no substitutes etc. etc.

Yes, there have certainly been many changes but I am not sure the game has really changed for the better.

Woolly Mammoth

In those good old days if you broke your leg you had to stay on the pitch and play on, everyone played the full 90 mins or in 1966 the full 120 minutes, nobody mentioned tiredness until the snowflake generation appeared.
The beautiful game has turned into the ugly game. But I am grateful that I was around in those days to witness what was once a beautiful game.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.