watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Post Office

Started by bog, June 09, 2020, 09:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

It's not football but did anyone see the Panorama special last night about the heavy handed Post Office, the £1b faulty Horizon computer system and the suffering sub post office operators? I have been following this disgraceful farce for years. Absolutely  scandalous. The woman at top clears off with a nice fat pay off and is awarded a CBE!    :031: :031: :031:

092.gif 

Fernhurst

Didn't see it Captain, but followed the story with amazement.
Post Office investigaters and management clearly not up to their jobs.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Lighthouse

Other than following the whole disgusting story in Private Eye. Very little has been made of this until the Panorama story. People lost livelihoods, were accused and found guilty of fraud while all along the system and computers were simply not working correctly. Yet nobody will be held accountable for this and yes a failure and a wrecker of lives walks away with a fat pay off.

I always try and see both sides to any story. But when you consider the worry and the sleepless nights post office owners and staff must have had trying to balance the unbalance. Then being thrown to the wolves and accused. Then it was all covered up. It makes one question all and any system that can do that to its staff.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

radio 4 have had an "investigation" series about it for the past 2 weeks, finished last Friday, and it was amazing that the Post Office assumed their staff were guilty and that their computer system couldn't be at fault!?

some have been sent to prison and others have committed suicide due to the pressure they were put under, truly shameful behaviour 

RaySmith

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 09, 2020, 11:50:15 AM
radio 4 have had an "investigation" series about it for the past 2 weeks, finished last Friday, and it was amazing that the Post Office assumed their staff were guilty and that their computer system couldn't be at fault!?

some have been sent to prison and others have committed suicide due to the pressure they were put under, truly shameful behaviour 

0001.jpeg

bog

There were clear facts that when one Indian lady was in court evidence that would have cleared her was held back and she was sent to prison.

092.gif

Twig

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 09, 2020, 11:50:15 AM

I didn't see the Panorama report but have followed some of the previous reports on this.  The attitude of the Board and their snivelling senior management has been completely disgraceful and inexcusable.  How they can escape legal retribution for the harm they have done is beyond me.

Peabody

Yes, I saw it and have been following the story for some time. It amazes me that not one of the executives has been asked to explain themselves.

Southcoastffc

Similar in some ways (incompetence, cover up, brick-wall bashing, disgraceful, life-destroying) was the BBC programme last night "Sitting In Limbo", a true story of one man suffering the Windrush scandal, wrongfully detained by the Home Office when trying to apply for a British passport after living in the UK for 50 years.   See it on catch up if you missed it.

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

This Post Office issue shows how corrupt, dishonest, unscrupulous, devious and deceitful, and a stench under the nostrils of honest men.
They think nothing and do not batter an eyelid to throw these unfortunate victims of their incompetence, inefficiency and negligence under a bus. Their ethics and morals are lower than a snakes belly.
They should be prosecuted for their corrupt behaviour, but I would not hold your breath. I cannot comprehend how some of these executives are paid off with lump sums almost like a reward like giving a dog a treat after he has done a poo on your carpet slippers.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SP

Quote from: bog on June 09, 2020, 01:21:51 PM
There were clear facts that when one Indian lady was in court evidence that would have cleared her was held back and she was sent to prison.

Surely, someone somewhere must be required to follow-up a failure to disclose?

Whitesideup

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 09, 2020, 02:17:48 PM
This Post Office issue shows how corrupt, dishonest, unscrupulous, devious and deceitful, and a stench under the nostrils of honest men.
They think nothing and do not batter an eyelid to throw these unfortunate victims of their incompetence, inefficiency and negligence under a bus. Their ethics and morals are lower than a snakes belly.
They should be prosecuted for their corrupt behaviour, but I would not hold your breath. I cannot comprehend how some of these executives are paid off with lump sums almost like a reward like giving a dog a treat after he has done a poo on your carpet slippers.

I just don't get the rewards for failure. Their huge salaries and bonuses are bad enough. Thing is they don't warrant them in any case. There are many people who can fill those roles well. Many execs get by without making positive contributions. And then those that fail get huge awards on top. Fred The Shred Goodwin was initially awarded a discretionary extra half a million a year pension (yes £500,000 per annum for the rest of his life) by RBS - only public outcry led the government (who now was the major shareholder) to insist they withdrew this ridiculous bequest. It beggars belief that the post office management was not sanctioned - instead they were rewarded.

bog

To me this disgrace is alongside the tainted blood scandal. Where blood was bought on the cheap by the NHS from the USA and had been taken from prisoners with aids or other serious ailments. Many many lives were ruined or ended early as a result. When it became obvious that there was a real problem John Major told Thatcher to keep quiet as 'it would cost a lot of money in compensation'. I don't recall anyone being brought to task there. Don't it make you feel proud to be British. Not.

092.gif

Peabody

Why are not newspapers like The Express, Mail  not running campaigns against this outrage?

bog

Quote from: Peabody on June 10, 2020, 08:06:06 AM
Why are not newspapers like The Express, Mail  not running campaigns against this outrage?

Actually the Mail are Peabody. I originally found out about this farce yeas ago by way of them. They have consistently had right go at the chief executive who took a nice fat pay off then a CBE. The the new one, a German, who was in place for about 2 years trousered about £6m. Most of the time he stayed in Germany.   :031: :031:

092.gif

Southdowns White

We live under a system of self perpetuation of wealth and power for those at the top and those below fighting for the scraps. It has been this way for thousands of years, if you were in receivership of privilege and power from birth until death you would do everything to keep things as they are. This system looks after itself with an unwritten code that is inbred from generation to generation. Of the 55 prime ministers we have had 42 went to Oxford or Cambridge Universities and all but 9 were privately educated regardless of the Political party they stand for. You need look no further than our current Prime Minister to see how far we've come. I am not knocking any political party, just the system that is designed to keep them at the top.

john dempsey

Quote from: Southdowns White on June 10, 2020, 09:45:47 AM
We live under a system of self perpetuation of wealth and power for those at the top and those below fighting for the scraps. It has been this way for thousands of years, if you were in receivership of privilege and power from birth until death you would do everything to keep things as they are. This system looks after itself with an unwritten code that is inbred from generation to generation. Of the 55 prime ministers we have had 42 went to Oxford or Cambridge Universities and all but 9 were privately educated regardless of the Political party they stand for. You need look no further than our current Prime Minister to see how far we've come. I am not knocking any political party, just the system that is designed to keep them at the top.
perfectly put.

Peabody

And, just like The Windrush Scandle and Grenville, no one has paid the price for this miscArriage of justice. When is this going to stop.

bog

In today's Mail they are having a right go at those responsible at the top. Paul Vennells, an ordained priest, left with £4.9m in pay and bonus's in 2019. When an Independent inquiry began to find problems with the Horizon IT system she sacked them all. Perhaps her CBE stands for Can't Be Entrapped.   

092.gif