watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If you could point to one player...

Started by AnOldBrownie, June 23, 2020, 08:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOldBrownie

...who has been the most disappointing this season, who would it be?

This isn't a thread to tear down a player.  It's more about an observation of how the players impact wasn't/isn't what you thought it would be at the beginning of the season.

There are two players that make my list...but one of those two I think has impacted us more in our ability to score than the other...and I think we've under performed when it comes to scoring goals.

Mind you, I like this player...but as a person whose favorite position on the pitch is the attacking winger spot...I think Anthony Knockhaert has been a huge disappointment.

I love his work rate...  I love his fight.. I love his skill with the ball at his feet.

There is just something off with him fitting in with Scott Parker's adopted style of play.  Personally, i'd take a player with half the ball control, but more pace and crossing ability as a starting RW than I would Knockhaert.

Bobby Reid was a close second, but I think Bobby has been played out of position most of the season so I'll give him a pass.

I just don't think our style of play will ever be a good fit for what Anthony brings.

john dempsey

In my humble opinion I think the system is at fault
more than any individual, it is a team game and to try and scapegoat a
single player is dreadful and spiteful

Statto

I agree that Knockaert has been the biggest disappointment, and agree with your analysis.

Mawson's recurring injuries have also been disappointing, as has Bryan's inability to defend.

I've been pleased with Bobby Reid, however.

And I also agree with the observation above that, with so many disappointments, you have to assume there's a general problem with the tactics or coaching, rather than all these individuals coincidentally having poor seasons.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: john dempsey on June 23, 2020, 08:19:34 PM
In my humble opinion I think the system is at fault
more than any individual, it is a team game and to try and scapegoat a
single player is dreadful and spiteful

....not going to be confrontational.

I don't like the system either...but it's Scott Parker's system.  We're 3rd in the table with a chance for a higher finish.  It's not going to change.

I do however, think a player like Ryan Babel would be a more productive cog in that system than Anthony has been.   I think Ryan Sess would have been more productive as well.

Hindsight is 20/20, and I don't think Anthony has been poor.   I just don't think he's been that good in our manager's system.

@jolslover

Mawson, thought he would be a top CB at this level

Close second Knockaert as I thought he would destroy Champ like last time .. but only had a couple good games.

But yeah, quite a few players underperforming
STH H3

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on June 23, 2020, 08:07:22 PM
...who has been the most disappointing this season, who would it be?

This isn't a thread to tear down a player.  It's more about an observation of how the players impact wasn't/isn't what you thought it would be at the beginning of the season.

There are two players that make my list...but one of those two I think has impacted us more in our ability to score than the other...and I think we've under performed when it comes to scoring goals.

Mind you, I like this player...but as a person whose favorite position on the pitch is the attacking winger spot...I think Anthony Knockhaert has been a huge disappointment.

I love his work rate...  I love his fight.. I love his skill with the ball at his feet.

There is just something off with him fitting in with Scott Parker's adopted style of play.  Personally, i'd take a player with half the ball control, but more pace and crossing ability as a starting RW than I would Knockhaert.

Bobby Reid was a close second, but I think Bobby has been played out of position most of the season so I'll give him a pass.

I just don't think our style of play will ever be a good fit for what Anthony brings.

I cannot think of any player.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Agree with the OP but think I may reverse the two selections, both have not scored goals as expected but I think Ried has had the most missed chances.

@jolslover

Quote from: filham on June 23, 2020, 10:07:49 PM
Agree with the OP but think I may reverse the two selections, both have not scored goals as expected but I think Ried has had the most missed chances.

Yh considering how clinical Reid was at Bristol City I have been surprised with how many in box chances hes missed! - hope it all clicks soon though
STH H3

SuffolkWhite

For me it's a team thing and that includes Manager tactics. Just feel we have not fully clicked as a team, yet we must be doing something right as we are third!? Bit of a bonkers season or is it just very Fulhamish.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

FPT

I think a number of Fulham player's this season have performed vastly below their proven levels (and blame should probably be put on the Head Coach). TC was the best CM in the league two years ago, hasn't felt the same this year. Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, Anthony Knockaert and even Ivan Cavaleiro haven't outperformed their days at previous clubs. Ream hasn't been the same either. Though not to say any of them have been disappointed but considering we're third with an underperforming squad (bar Mitro, Marek and Michael H), imagine if a few had played like they did at their peak (of their career so far).

To answer your actual question, it's probably Knockaert for me. He was supposed to be the torch with the power of a million candles igniting the final third on the road to the title but performed like wet lighter on the banks of the Thames.

os5889 mkII

Parker. He used to be a player, the OP didn't specify that they had to be playing currently.

If current, then since Christmas I have been particularly underwhelmed by Cav.
@OsmithFFC

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on June 23, 2020, 08:58:23 PM
I agree that Knockaert has been the biggest disappointment, and agree with your analysis.

Mawson's recurring injuries have also been disappointing, as has Bryan's inability to defend.

I've been pleased with Bobby Reid, however.

And I also agree with the observation above that, with so many disappointments, you have to assume there's a general problem with the tactics or coaching, rather than all these individuals coincidentally having poor seasons.

I have been most disappointed with Knockaert, in the premier league last season he got an assist every 306 minutes and now in the championship this season he gets an assist every 570 minutes with Mitrovic as a target man. Knockaert has time to redeem himself as a goal and an assist in the playoffs will make him worth every pound we paid for him.

FPT

Quote from: os5889 mkII on June 23, 2020, 11:26:13 PM
Parker. He used to be a player, the OP didn't specify that they had to be playing currently.

While I don't think goals and assist stats tell full stories, this is backed up by Cav's 2 goals and 1 assist since January (15 games), before then he had 4 goals and 6 assists in 24 games.

H4usuallysitting

Don't think it's fair to pinpoint individual player's, so I won't.... In my humble opinion something's wrong with the club..... possibly due to Mr Khan's naivety....

We Are Premier League

Maxime Le Marchand with injuries and a total of 179minutes on the pitch - expectations must have been very low for that not to be dissapointing

Statto

Quote from: FPT on June 24, 2020, 09:01:12 AM
Quote from: os5889 mkII on June 23, 2020, 11:26:13 PM

While I don't think goals and assist stats tell full stories, this is backed up by Cav's 2 goals and 1 assist since January (15 games), before then he had 4 goals and 6 assists in 24 games.

2 goals and 1 assist since January... Still our best attacker after Mitrovic in that period, then

Jims Dentist

Quote from: FPT on June 23, 2020, 10:58:40 PM
I think a number of Fulham player's this season have performed vastly below their proven levels (and blame should probably be put on the Head Coach). TC was the best CM in the league two years ago, hasn't felt the same this year. Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, Anthony Knockaert and even Ivan Cavaleiro haven't outperformed their days at previous clubs. Ream hasn't been the same either. Though not to say any of them have been disappointed but considering we're third with an underperforming squad (bar Mitro, Marek and Michael H), imagine if a few had played like they did at their peak (of their career so far).

To answer your actual question, it's probably Knockaert for me. He was supposed to be the torch with the power of a million candles igniting the final third on the road to the title but performed like wet lighter on the banks of the Thames.
Spot on FPT.

Sgt Fulham

Cav. Did this player really used to terrify me when we played Wolves?

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on June 28, 2020, 11:29:32 PM
Cav. Did this player really used to terrify me when we played Wolves?
Having seen him play up to December, how could you possibly justify spending £15m on him.
Other clubs, no wonder, see us as a joke.

Mullers OG

This post could be changed around to 'name a player who has impressed this season'.  The team's play has, sadly, been dull all season.  How on earth we are still in the play off positions says more about the poor standard of the division than anything about FFC's quality.

Rodak has been fine, Mitro has scored the goals but still seems to have moments when his natural aggression overcomes him, Hector has been a find.  Odoi and Reed have been quietly effective.  Beyond those it is difficult to think of anyone who has had a good season.  Some, such as MlM, Ream (sadly as he has been excellent in the past ditto McDonald), Kamara, Mawson, Christie, Arter, Kebano, D Reid and Opoku should be moved on in the summer.  There is still an urgent need for better full backs, a centre back alongside Hector, more ideas in midfield and a proper back up to Mitrovic (I hope Stansfield will make the grade).