watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Onomah

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, July 01, 2020, 03:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

He looked really sharp when he came on. Thought he gave a nice little cameo.

Also thought Cav played quite well - made a few mistakes but he looked a lot more like his old self last night

abfg

TO be fair to Parker, I thought he was a good man to bring on at that time. He added a bit of power higher up the pitch, that, without Mitro we'd been lacking. He did well when he came on.

MrFFC

I like Onomah think a midfield 3 of Reed Cairney Onomah the best way to go for play play off games
Come on you Whites!! :)

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MrFFC on July 01, 2020, 07:12:37 AM
I like Onomah think a midfield 3 of Reed Cairney Onomah the best way to go for play play off games

I think we should start "Reed, Stefjo and Onamah" next game  as Cairney needs a rest before Forest and the others need a run. The playoff final could last 120 minutes, so we may need to use 3 midfielder and 2 wingers from the bench those games.

But most importantly either Stefjo or Onamah could be the final piece in the midfield trio for the playoff. Frankly, Arter is a decent but not a great option, if we can find something better we need to. 

Tempest

Josh is a very very good player, I'm surprised not everyone can see that,  I think  he plays with shackles on, a different system or manager would benefit him greatly,  as it would Knock,  Cav, BDR and Mitro. Imagine these under Tigana,  all would have more than 15 goals each and Mitro 30 plus.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

Sting of the North

Quote from: Tempest on July 01, 2020, 07:49:41 AM
Josh is a very very good player, I'm surprised not everyone can see that,  I think  he plays with shackles on, a different system or manager would benefit him greatly,  as it would Knock,  Cav, BDR and Mitro. Imagine these under Tigana,  all would have more than 15 goals each and Mitro 30 plus.

I think Josh often looks good individually, but that the midfield so far never have seemed to function at all when he has been part of it. Yesterday he was very good with his individual skills, but we didn't have any real structured play anyway so there was nothing to lose in that regard.

I have yet to see Onomah work well as part of a midfield three, but if he could his skills are far beyond those of Arter and Reed. On a broader note, the midfield has rarely worked well no matter the players this season, so I am not saying it is only Onomah that doesn't work, but I think it has been even worse with him. Parker's biggest failure is to still not have found a midfield that can both protect the defense decently and drive the offensive in a controled matter. In my opinion.

70sPimlico

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 01, 2020, 08:22:08 AM

I think Josh often looks good individually, but that the midfield so far never have seemed to function at all when he has been part of it. Yesterday he was very good with his individual skills, but we didn't have any real structured play anyway so there was nothing to lose in that regard.

I have yet to see Onomah work well as part of a midfield three, but if he could his skills are far beyond those of Arter and Reed. On a broader note, the midfield has rarely worked well no matter the players this season, so I am not saying it is only Onomah that doesn't work, but I think it has been even worse with him. Parker's biggest failure is to still not have found a midfield that can both protect the defense decently and drive the offensive in a controled matter. In my opinion.

My thoughts exactly.

FulhamStu

The reason the midfield does not work is because with Cairney, you need 2 other players to compliment him.  StefJo and KMac did this when they were at their best a few years ago.   Cairney in a 4-3-3 is a real problem because he does not work back.  Ideally Cairney would function best in a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield.  The Problem is we have loads of central midfield players but no naturally wide midfield players.  We also have 4 wide attacking players.  We have recruited and the squad been built to play 4-3-3, this does not suit Cairney.  Add BDR to the midfield with Cairney and it's even worse.  I would continue to develop Onomah as our no8 with a Reed type behind him and a Cairney just in front if you play 4-3-3.  The no 8 had to have legs and work extremely hard, covering box to box.

snarks

Quote from: 70sPimlico on July 01, 2020, 08:26:35 AM
Quote from: Sting of the North on July 01, 2020, 08:22:08 AM

My thoughts exactly.

I agree, although think that may be down to the Fullbacks, a three works better when the FB's add width, and the front three play a bit narrower, the way we play means Cav and Knocky stay wide leaving Mitro isolated and the midfield three in a narrow V. Under Slav (as that's the best example of a 4-3-3) FB's got forward wide, Sess and Floyd or whoever were closer to Mitro and the mid could be narrow with a box to box in SteffJo and TC closer with KMac being a back 3 when needed. With the set up we have Onamah could do the box to box bit, but it's the FB's that are the issue.

Mince n Tatties

Lol....Think your getting carried away there 15 a piece for them three.
Reid and Knock have had endless scoring chances and fluffed them,what difference would Tigana make when Reid hits the post from two yards out.

70sPimlico

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 01, 2020, 08:50:36 AM

Lol....Think your getting carried away there 15 a piece for them three.
Reid and Knock have had endless scoring chances and fluffed them,what difference would Tigana make when Reid hits the post from two yards out.

"endless scoring chances"? Maybe in training. Knockhart gets long diagonal balls pumped up to him stuck out wide with a remit to make chances for Mitro. I imagine Tigana would keep the ball on the deck, encourage variation in the final 3rd with players interchanging across the edge of the box. Knockhart would love it as he would be encouraged to receive the ball facing the goal. As he was for Brighton.

clarkey

Josh looked all at sea when he came on yesterday. He was neither offensive nor defensive, he contributed zero.Really bad sub StefJo was the obvious and superior choice, it never came.

As for Cav how can anyone say he played well. He was no threat even to a very poor Rangers' team. He has steadily declined since the start of the season.

That's not to say Josh is a poor player just badly employed yesterday.

70sPimlico

Quote from: clarkey on July 01, 2020, 09:48:06 AM
Josh looked all at sea when he came on yesterday. He was neither offensive nor defensive, he contributed zero.Really bad sub StefJo was the obvious and superior choice, it never came.

As for Cav how can anyone say he played well. He was no threat even to a very poor Rangers' team. He has steadily declined since the start of the season.

There's a bit of a theme. Players underperforming

Ream, Bryan, TC, AK, Cav all having an average season by their standards.

filham

We have a lot of midfield options but somehow it has failed to function well for a while, in particular Reid has been poor in front of goal. Onomah deserves a chance to see if things can be improved. If he could get a goal against Birmingham that would work wonders for the team,
OK I am aware that Arter has just achieved that but somehow I don't think he is the answer and I live in fear of him picking up the 6th red card of the season.

With the next six matches crammed into a very tight period it is important to limit Cairney's time on the pitch so that he is fully fit for the play off matches. We have an abundance of midfield players so this should present no problem.

We Are Premier League

playing cairney deeper next to reed woudl be my preference. he doesnt move arund enough to play in a more forward role so its bette to play him deeper and get him on the ball more frequently - as he did yesteday when Josh came in and took the more forward role (where Reid also can play).

Sting of the North

But he objectively did contribute something, because he assisted to the winning goal so you're clearly wrong.

From what I saw, he also won many duels and offered the only real outlet higher up the field. Several good actions, and it was a really good and impactful sub. But that is my opinion.

Sting of the North

Quote from: 70sPimlico on July 01, 2020, 09:53:34 AM

Out of curiosity, do you mean that they are having below average seasons? Because otherwise it is kind of what you can expect, isn't it?

ALG01

Josh has been very underwhelming this season and I have seen absolutely nothing that would merit him starting. A few run outs from the bench are a good idea to try and integrate him properly... I did think he did OK last night when he came on but QPR was awful.... If he does play I wonder whether a better position for him may be at center forward, he is strong and quick(ish) I would chance that at some point.

70sPimlico

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 01, 2020, 12:38:58 PM

Out of curiosity, do you mean that they are having below average seasons? Because otherwise it is kind of what you can expect, isn't it?

Yes. That is what I meant.

Sting of the North

Quote from: 70sPimlico on July 01, 2020, 01:37:28 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on July 01, 2020, 12:38:58 PM

Yes. That is what I meant.

:54: