watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Jack Leslie

Started by bog, July 01, 2020, 08:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I only heard today of the name of Jack Leslie who played for Plymouth Argyle in the 1920's.  Jack was picked for England but then dropped when the colour of his skin became known. They showed footage of Jack in later life working at West Ham looking after the boots of the likes of Bobby Moore. Moves are afoot to erect a statue for Jack, quite right to.  Disgraceful treatment. The elation at the notification of selection to the humiliation of rejection must have been horrendous for Jack.     

092.gif   

Dr Know

And he scored his last goal against Fulham !

filham

The story was on Breakfast Television this morning.
Hard to believe the FA behaved in such a way.
Yes let us have a statue, a much better response than pulling down statues.

bog

Quote from: Dr Know on July 01, 2020, 10:37:26 AM
And he scored his last goal against Fulham !

Yes I just found that out!

Fernhurst

Quote from: bog on July 01, 2020, 08:58:51 AM
I only heard today of the name of Jack Leslie who played for Plymouth Argyle in the 1920's.  Jack was picked for England but then dropped when the colour of his skin became known. They showed footage of Jack in later life working at West Ham looking after the boots of the likes of Bobby Moore. Moves are afoot to erect a statue for Jack, quite right to.  Disgraceful treatment. The elation at the notification of selection to the humiliation of rejection must have been horrendous for Jack.     

092.gif   

Saw the coverage as well Captain. Utter disgrace, The FA picked him on his scoring record only and when the rumors filtered back to London they sent a representative down to Plymouth to check the colour of Jacks skin. Reminded me a bit of the difficulty our own Tony Macedo had trying to get a full England Cap after staring at Under 23 level.
I would certainly contribute to a statue for Jack.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Twig

I missed this but it's just so, so sad.

SP

Made very hard viewing, those responsible were disgusting.

Fernhurst

Quote from: SP on July 01, 2020, 08:26:36 PM
Made very hard viewing, those responsible were disgusting.

:plus one:

Soft spot for The Pilgrims, motored down there to watch my Grandson play his very last game of his youth football career on The Home Park pitch. Great people and I wish them all the best with the fund raising.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.