watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Things are becoming clearer

Started by FulhamStu, July 06, 2020, 08:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

Leeds and WBA have steadied the ship and now look very probable for autos.  We had a chance to catch them but blew it in those first 2 games. 

Brentford are on fire and should finish 3rd, ourselves and Forest will almost certainly be 4th and 5th and Cardiff have made the best return of the 'others' and I predict will be the last play off team.

This means Brentford v Cardiff and Fulham v Forest.

I would not bet against Cardiff beating Brentford as they will set up defensively and try to frustrate them, I would however think Brentford have enough but it is not a done deal.

Ourselves and Forest could go either way as well as we are not playing well and Forest are a very functional side who rely on solid defence and grabbing a goal.

In order to win the playoffs we need to find some form.  Players like Hector, Arter, Onomah, Cav and Knockaert need to get into form.  There is still every chance for Fulham but not playing as we have done since coming back from lockdown.   We all thought it was going to test Parker and so far he is falling short, but these players need to also work out how to create a 'team'   We can play in tiny little chunks and you can see from some of our moves there is potential.  Can we pull it together in 5 quick games, I am not so sure ?

Buffalo76

Maybe Parker's tactics can try 2 bore the remaining opposition in2 submission. Pass forward....pass backwards....pass forward....pass sideways....pass backwards....pass forward.... pass sideways....😴😴😴😴

KJS

Quote from: Buffalo76 on July 06, 2020, 08:51:07 AM
Maybe Parker's tactics can try 2 bore the remaining opposition in2 submission. Pass forward....pass backwards....pass forward....pass sideways....pass backwards....pass forward.... pass sideways....😴😴😴😴

4th in the table and it's moan moan moan you'd be suicidal if we were in bottom 6🙄 it's a no win for Scotty with some supporters as Charlton fans are fully aware Be Careful what you Wish for🤔 personally I feel this season should have been voided but it is what it us

Statto

Good summary, largely agree

If we can get to the final, I think Brentford will almost certainly go into it in better form, but that may be a blessing because it'll put all the pressure on them despite us having a much better team on paper.

Our recent play-off experiences may give us an edge in any play-off fixtures, as well.

filham

Yes, all of the above  is acurate and clearly states the situation in the promotion race and we must now abandon the philosophy of fully concentrating on the just next game and instead think about what needs to be done over the next five games in order to prepare ourselves for the play offs.
As stated above we are on course to finish in 4th or 5th position and we need but a couple of wins to achieve this and are therefore under no pressure to win every game. We can take advantage of this situation by fielding weaker teams and experimenting in some matches to ensure that we are ready for the two legged semi final (probably against Forrest) with a fresh, fit and organized team.
To start with there is no point in busting a gut to try to get a result at Forrest tomorrow, lets rest Cav., Knock., Reed and Cairney, play a cool defensive game with loads of Parkerball  designed to make Forrest work like the clappers as well as frustrate them into a possible red card or two.

The Old Count

We were the form team going into the playoffs three seasons ago and we got knocked out by Reading. Anything can happen.

alfie

I know it's all about opinions, but it bugs me a bit when people say "we have no chance", I remember   hoards of people saying we had no chance against Juve, or a good few friends saying we had no chance against Villa at Wembley.
There is and will always be a chance, anything can happen, penalty, bad or in fact good referring decisions. Injuries, sending off. Who knows.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Lighthouse

It has to be said that when Hector starts to look like Jim Hicks you know we have a problem. Cav and Knock have had their moments but generally flattered to deceive. Without Mitro we just look toothless up front. Despite the constant reminders that we do win without him, we frankly have been a tad fortunate.

Parker still doesn't seem to know how his team should play or how do use the players to our best advantage. However being in the play offs is what I was aiming for. Those who thought we should go straight back up were never going to be happy. Play offs and a bit of luck. But if we do make the play offs nobody will put us down as favourites. So at least there should be no expectations.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Wolf

I think Brentford may catch West Brom. Also, we'd have a much better chance versus WBA in the PO than we would Brentford. It would be significantly better to finish fourth or fifth than sixth.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

fulhamfever

Mitrovic started 2 games after the Covid break and we lost both.

Mitrovic suspended for 3 games

Fulham without Mitrovic win 2 games.

Call it luck, call it fate, call it the blues.

Heck it don't matter how you play at the moment, a win is a win, we are 6 points away from a potential playoff place and 8 away from the autos.

I don't really care tbh as long as we are in the playoffs and have a go at promotion then why not.

Leeds and WBA are where they are due to performances on the pitch.

You have 90 minutes to win a game and we are doing that.

Arter, Christie and Onomah have been our match winners goes to show we have goal scorers available from different positions.

Let's get into the playoffs and make this PL dream happen.

Statto

Quote from: Wolf on July 06, 2020, 11:46:07 AM
I think Brentford may catch West Brom. Also, we'd have a much better chance versus WBA in the PO than we would Brentford. It would be significantly better to finish fourth or fifth than sixth.

Agree with you about WBA.

But why is it so important to finish fourth?
The second-leg home advantage doesn't count for much when there are no fans
And what if finishing fourth puts us against Forest and finishing sixth puts us against WBA? I'd probably rather play a massively off-form WBA than Forest.

fulhamfever

Why are we predicting what will happen. Just go with the flow.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: filham on July 06, 2020, 10:15:05 AM
Yes, all of the above  is acurate and clearly states the situation in the promotion race and we must now abandon the philosophy of fully concentrating on the just next game and instead think about what needs to be done over the next five games in order to prepare ourselves for the play offs.
As stated above we are on course to finish in 4th or 5th position and we need but a couple of wins to achieve this and are therefore under no pressure to win every game. We can take advantage of this situation by fielding weaker teams and experimenting in some matches to ensure that we are ready for the two legged semi final (probably against Forrest) with a fresh, fit and organized team.
To start with there is no point in busting a gut to try to get a result at Forrest tomorrow, lets rest Cav., Knock., Reed and Cairney, play a cool defensive game with loads of Parkerball  designed to make Forrest work like the clappers as well as frustrate them into a possible red card or two.

Goal difference between us could be a big factor.
1-0 to us gives us a 5 point lead and equal goal difference.
1-0 to Forest gives them a 1 point lead and a 4 point goal difference.
A draw, remains the same, but a game nearer to the play-offs.

Huge game
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

SuffolkWhite

Imo the Play Offs can go anyway and although the team has not clicked,  we have players that can turn a bit of magic even if not in form. The play offs are doable.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

filham

Quote from: rogerpnowinFlorida on July 06, 2020, 12:30:42 PM
Quote from: filham on July 06, 2020, 10:15:05 AM

Goal difference between us could be a big factor.
1-0 to us gives us a 5 point lead and equal goal difference.
1-0 to Forest gives them a 1 point lead and a 4 point goal difference.
A draw, remains the same, but a game nearer to the play-offs.

Huge game
The Forrest game is a six pointer but the real difference is between 4th and 5th place in the table, both of which will meet in one of the play off semi finals, so there is no difference.

Much better to concentrate on Friday's six pointer against Cardiff which will ensure a 5th place.

The risk of a win against Forrest is that again it could generate false hopes of automatic promotion and at the same time show all our cards to them before the play of matches.

rebel

It's a long shot, but the pressure will be immense on Leeds and WBA, they might still implode. This is an average Championship. I don't think Leeds or WBA are anything special. I believe they still has to play 'the strugglers', 'the strugglers need to avoid finishing 22nd. So the bottom 7 / 8 teams.

Momentum is everything, I'm not sure the two wins gives us that, but it gives us a platform of sorts. 

filham

Quote from: rebel on July 06, 2020, 03:41:21 PM
It's a long shot, but the pressure will be immense on Leeds and WBA, they might still implode. This is an average Championship. I don't think Leeds or WBA are anything special. I believe they still has to play 'the strugglers', 'the strugglers need to avoid finishing 22nd. So the bottom 7 / 8 teams.

Momentum is everything, I'm not sure the two wins gives us that, but it gives us a platform of sorts. 
West Brom scored four in their last game we have scored three in the four matches post Lockdown, where is the momentum.

Brawn

When you look at who has to play who you wouldn't rule it out yet.

Leeds:
Stoke (H), 9 July
Swansea (A), 12 July
Barnsley (H), 15 July
Derby (A), 18 July
Charlton (H), 22 July

Swansea and Derby are the two to watch there, but Leeds should get home with those fixtures.

West Brom, on the other hand...
Derby (H), 8 July
Blackburn (A), 11 July
Fulham (H), 14 July
Huddersfield (A), 18 July
QPR (H), 22 July

It's not inconceivable they could lose 3-4 of those games. Derby, Blackburn, and QPR will all fancy themselves to beat West Brom, and of course if they lose to us...

Brentford should get home with this run of games:
Charlton (H), 7 July
Derby (A), 11 July
Preston (H), 14 July
Stoke (A), 18 July
Barnsley (H), 22 July

Other than Derby, they should win all of those easily. And that's not to say they wouldn't beat Derby, but that would be a tighter game.

If everything falls into place we could do it.

rebel

Quote from: filham on July 06, 2020, 04:49:15 PM
Quote from: rebel on July 06, 2020, 03:41:21 PM

West Brom scored four in their last game we have scored three in the four matches post Lockdown, where is the momentum.

Isn't that what I've said?

rebel

Quote from: Brawn on July 06, 2020, 05:03:01 PM
When you look at who has to play who you wouldn't rule it out yet.

Leeds:
Stoke (H), 9 July
Swansea (A), 12 July
Barnsley (H), 15 July
Derby (A), 18 July
Charlton (H), 22 July

Swansea and Derby are the two to watch there, but Leeds should get home with those fixtures.

West Brom, on the other hand...
Derby (H), 8 July
Blackburn (A), 11 July
Fulham (H), 14 July
Huddersfield (A), 18 July
QPR (H), 22 July

It's not inconceivable they could lose 3-4 of those games. Derby, Blackburn, and QPR will all fancy themselves to beat West Brom, and of course if they lose to us...

Brentford should get home with this run of games:
Charlton (H), 7 July
Derby (A), 11 July
Preston (H), 14 July
Stoke (A), 18 July
Barnsley (H), 22 July

Other than Derby, they should win all of those easily. And that's not to say they wouldn't beat Derby, but that would be a tighter game.

If everything falls into place we could do it.

Brentford still has to play Barnsley, Stoke and Charlton. On paper they are favourites, but they are fighting to stay in the Championship. So easy matches could become complicated if they take the matches for granted. Leeds also face the same trio.