watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Had we won just one more game this season

Started by General, July 11, 2020, 05:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Up until now... with the west Bromwich game to come...

Why do we always do this to ourselves..

Hope we go up regardless obviously but still...

Ordar

The home defeat to Brentford was the killer result

South Coast White

Agree, the Barnsley and Luton games are really haunting us now.

General

It was the same under slav and with Cardiff.

Dodgin

We could end up with West Brom in the playoffs, may be better with Brentford out the of the way.

FFC1987

I know people laughed at the meltdowns earlier in the season, but this very situation is what we talked about.

bog

That pen we were robbed of home to Bristol City and the 90+2 equaliser up at Wednesday didn't help.

092.gif

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: bog on July 11, 2020, 05:16:47 PM
That pen we were robbed of home to Bristol City and the 90+2 equaliser up at Wednesday didn't help.

092.gif

Both of those, Luton, and Barnsley. Just awful points dropped.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Luka

Quote from: Dodgin on July 11, 2020, 05:12:40 PM
We could end up with West Brom in the playoffs, may be better with Brentford out the of the way.

I'll take West Brom over Brentford all day long in the playoffs. It's why we must beat them next week and open the door for Brentford to get auto promotion on goal difference. I don't see Brentford dropping a point now and I have little hope we could beat them in in a play off final.  Other than possibly against us I don't see West Brom dropping points either. Next game has turned into a must win game for the wrong reason.

hovewhite

Afraid we may have to do it the hard way back to the P.L I think and 1 win maybe the key.

Slaphead in Qatar

Barnsley was our darkest day. Wonder if it was the weather that threw us.

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 11, 2020, 05:12:40 PM
I know people laughed at the meltdowns earlier in the season, but this very situation is what we talked about.

I don't remember anyone laughing, but some pointed out that such things happens over the course of a season. And not just to us, to all teams albeit not as much to all teams every season. We are not the only team dropping points in "easy" games. We have had plenty of opportunities to make up for some of the poorer results, but we haven't. Those results didn't end our chances in any way back then, and that is probably why some saw the "meltdowns" (especially the earlier ones) as an overreaction at the time. But it's all subjective of course.

More on topic maybe, every time a team misses out on something by just a few points, it is easy to point to this or that result, but every dropped point is equally responsible for where we are.

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 11, 2020, 06:57:11 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 11, 2020, 05:12:40 PM

I don't remember anyone laughing, but some pointed out that such things happens over the course of a season. And not just to us, to all teams albeit not as much to all teams every season. We are not the only team dropping points in "easy" games. We have had plenty of opportunities to make up for some of the poorer results, but we haven't. Those results didn't end our chances in any way back then, and that is probably why some saw the "meltdowns" (especially the earlier ones) as an overreaction at the time. But it's all subjective of course.

More on topic maybe, every time a team misses out on something by just a few points, it is easy to point to this or that result, but every dropped point is equally responsible for where we are.

I definitely recall some mocking. I wouldn't say you, specifically were in that category, but were among the grounded you mentioned. We aren't the only team dropping to 'easy' games but 3 teams above us  haven't done it as often so when we dropped to the likes of Preston, Luton and Barnsley, its a bitter pill to swallow when we're as close as we are. But as you say, its not these individual games, its the collective and theres plenty of examples where we should and could have done better. It didn't end our chance, sure, but its contributed to our failure in getting an automatic slot, hindsight is kinda against the argument here. (And me seeing as its still possible, albeit highly unlikely.) but alas I agree with your last point. Dropping points to Barnsley is as bad as dropping to Leeds in a vacuum.

Twig

All teams drop points during a season and the two that drop the fewest get auto promotion, it's a truism. We are where we are; if Brentford miss out on the autos they too could look at "dropped points".   We could go into the playoffs with tremendous momentum, that could see us through.

Statto

Quote from: Twig on July 11, 2020, 09:00:39 PM
All teams drop points during a season and the two that drop the fewest get auto promotion, it's a truism. We are where we are; if Brentford miss out on the autos they too could look at "dropped points".   We could go into the playoffs with tremendous momentum, that could see us through.

Agree.

Would love to do a scan of the last few weeks of the season for every club throughout the leagues and see how many of them would have a better chance of the automatics, the play-offs, Champions' League qualification or avoiding relegation if they'd just won one or two more games up to now. I'm guessing about 80% of them

filham

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on July 11, 2020, 06:33:24 PM
Barnsley was our darkest day. Wonder if it was the weather that threw us.
The two against Barnsley, tempting to blame Cauley Woodrow but really there is no one to blame but ourselves.

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: Twig on July 11, 2020, 09:00:39 PM

An outstanding team in the Championship should get over 100 points ! This season was there for the taking and allowing Barnsley to do an easy double over us was ridiculous ! Best hope for me is that Brentford overtake WBA as I would not want the Bees in a playoff 🤔

Andy S

Brentford were very lucky. We had three good chances before they scored and they scored on the break twice to seal a win. I have every faith that we can win the play- offs whoever we get

The Rational Fan

Before the season, I posted what should be obvious that getting at least five wins against three promoted teams is essential to getting the 27 wins in a season for required for automatic promotion, but we got one win from those six games. The promoted league one teams have been decent this year, but we had to do better, because a promoted team normally needs four to six double game victories a season. 

Hatch007

Betts' drop to gift West Brom a late equaliser in a game we dominated certainly didn't help 😤