more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Well it's looking like

Started by H4usuallysitting, July 17, 2020, 09:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Twig on July 17, 2020, 11:15:49 PM
If, and it's big if, there is live football then I would take my chances and attend. I just don't want to waste my remaining years due to a bloody virus.
:plus one:   Football, music, theatre - all have a special magic when experienced live which is just not anywhere near replicated when watching on a screen. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Statto on July 19, 2020, 02:05:17 PMInfluenza is the same type of virus, albeit not a coronavirus, and they have a vaccine for that

It isn't a one-off vaccine though; the effects are only temporary largely due to the high number of influenza strains and their frequency of mutation. When there is rhetoric among the media or politicians discussing the vaccination of the entire population there is (to my knowledge) no mention of it being a repeat-action; it is presented as a one-off.

In theory you could vaccinate the population of the entire planet at the same time and hope to eradicate the virus, but I'm not aware of any suggestions of this either (it would of course be impractical).

Quote from: Statto on July 19, 2020, 02:05:17 PMI suspect the reason for not having vaccines for the other coronaviruses reflects us not really giving a to&& about them until now, rather than it being impossible.

There were historical attempts to procure a vaccine for the common cold (a good chunk of which's cases are caused by types of coronavirus) prior to the knowledge being established that too many types & strains of culpable viruses rendered such attempts futile.

There have also been attempts to procure a vaccine for the common cold in recent years, albeit the focus in this example was on rhinoviruses.

Most of these common-cold causing viruses may not affect most of us too significantly on an individual level, but on a national level it is believed to cost billions in lost productivity each year.

Quote from: Statto on July 19, 2020, 02:05:17 PMPersonally I'd stake an awful lot on a vaccine being confirmed safe and effective in the next few months but who knows.

I wouldn't bet against it either. The long-term effects of an (unprecedented) mRNA vaccine will however still be unknown, and I for one considering the low fatality rate of Sars-Cov-2 & my relatively low age and strong health do not feel it should be mandatory to receive it. It would make more sense to me if it was optional and encouraged to those who are supposedly more vulnerable.

AnOldBrownie

If, and it's big if, there is live football then I would take my chances and attend. I just don't want to waste my remaining years due to a bloody virus.

You would take your chance on possibly giving it to someone else?

Mind, I'm not giving up personally doing things because I'm worried about ME getting Covid.   I'm not doing anything because I don't want to GIVE covid to even the stranger 3 blocks down the street that I might have seen in the grocery store.

Asotosyios

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on July 19, 2020, 05:06:07 PM

You would take your chance on possibly giving it to someone else?

Mind, I'm not giving up personally doing things because I'm worried about ME getting Covid.   I'm not doing anything because I don't want to GIVE covid to even the stranger 3 blocks down the street that I might have seen in the grocery store.

I doubt Twig or anyone else wants to get the virus or, even more, give it to anyone else. However, what is your alternative? Stay at home forever or the next couple of years or however long is needed for an effective vaccine to be produced?