watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What a result.

Started by The Swan, July 18, 2020, 02:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Well done Stoke for beating Brentford. We now have a slim chance of getting to 2nd place.
We must win today and then beat Wigan away next week.
Plus Brentford and West Brom must lose their remaining games.
The Swan

davew

Terrible result for us and Parker chooses a weak team for our match, unbelievable!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Twig

Quote from: davew on July 18, 2020, 02:37:28 PM
Terrible result for us and Parker chooses a weak team for our match, unbelievable!!

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Why was it a terrible result for us?

davew

Quote from: Twig on July 18, 2020, 02:41:45 PM

Likely to face Brentford in the play offs now, more chance of beating the Baggies than the Bees.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

SP

Speaking on behalf of the FoF Brentford appreciation society?  :005:

Statto

Quote from: SP on July 18, 2020, 02:54:51 PM

Speaking on behalf of the FoF Brentford appreciation society?  :005:

Lol

ChesterTheTabby

LOLOLOLOLOLOL 3-0 First Half lead, what a weak fielding!
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

rebel

Quote from: The Swan on July 18, 2020, 02:36:12 PM
Well done Stoke for beating Brentford. We now have a slim chance of getting to 2nd place.
We must win today and then beat Wigan away next week.
Plus Brentford and West Brom must lose their remaining games.

Brentford can draw / lose, WBA need to lose and we have to win to stand a chance of automatic promotion.
Barnsley might yet stay up so all to play for, QPR hammered Millwall, so who knows what QPR will turn up, the pressure will be on WBA.

hovewhite

It's still not certain for us,bees, Albion. And all to play for.coyw

Arthur

Much as I shall savour the unexpected continuation of automatic promotion hopes between now and Wednesday, I'd rather West Brom were playing any team other than QPR. While our neighbours won't want to get stuffed, I'm sure they'd happily accept a narrow loss if it means denying ourselves and Brentford automatic promotion.

But we can beat Brentford if we were to meet them in the play-off final. As far as I can tell, their style of football means they often score heavily when they've got the opposition on the ropes and the pressure on them is not as great, but in tight games, it's a different matter. What shouldn't be overlooked is that they've lost more times than we have. This suggests to me that, in the cagey tension of a play-off final, they will not have the advantage over us that their superior goalscoring record might make people think.

flyingfish

Quote from: davew on July 18, 2020, 02:54:16 PM

Likely to face Brentford in the play offs now, more chance of beating the Baggies than the Bees.

Nonsense. They are not blimmin barcelona!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on July 18, 2020, 02:54:16 PM

Davew have you ran out of Gin. This match was worth the admission fee. There is nothing to fear from Brentford.
I have instructed my Crack Intelligence Unit to observe them, and I can report back is that they are called  Brentford, and they are from Brentford and there are 11 of them, and they will not fancy playing Fulham.
In fact none of them will fancy playing Fulham believe me, so relax Finnish off the rest of the bottle and crack open another one, it's happy days.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Plodder

Quote from: Arthur on July 18, 2020, 06:53:27 PM
Much as I shall savour the unexpected continuation of automatic promotion hopes between now and Wednesday, I'd rather West Brom were playing any team other than QPR. While our neighbours won't want to get stuffed, I'm sure they'd happily accept a narrow loss if it means denying ourselves and Brentford automatic promotion.

I don't think this sort of consideration influences professionals. They are not fans in the same way as we are. There are loads of examples of teams getting results which could benefit their rivals.  When Blackburn Rovers won the title, there had been much chatter about how Liverpool might roll over in the last game against them in order to prevent Manchester United winning the title. It didn't happen, as Liverpool won 2-1, although Man Utd were held to a draw by West Ham, so Blackburn won it anyway.  The QPR players will obviously be aware of the West London rivalries, but once they start a match, they will play to win.  It is in their nature as professionals, and even if it wasn't, selfish considerations (win bonuses, future contracts) will trump any consideration of fan rivalries.  That being said, it is unlikely that all three results will happen as needed (loos for WBA, draw  or loss for Brentford, win for us), but as I wrote on another thread about someone's suggestion of resting players for the play-offs after the WBA game, although it is unlikely, it would be far from the strangest set of results in football I have ever seen.

Brawn

An even better fairytale would be Cauley Woodrow scoring a last minute equaliser for Barnsley on Wednesday night to send us up.

Twig

Quote from: Brawn on July 18, 2020, 07:54:33 PM
An even better fairytale would be Cauley Woodrow scoring a last minute equaliser for Barnsley on Wednesday night to send us up.

I'll drink to that!