watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ray Lewington ?

Started by duffbeer, November 22, 2010, 02:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duffbeer

Anyone think our dismal performances and Sanchez style long ball has something to do with Ray Lew not being the assistant coach anymore?

alfie

I think there may be some credence in that statement
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

FatFreddysCat

Cant wait to see what shady has to say about that, i know he was very upset to see Lew go.

Lighthouse

I am a fan of Lewington. But are we guilty of clutching at any old straw?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TonyGilroy

There are managers who rely heavily on their coaches but Hodgson isn't one of those. Lewington, I'm sure was an assistant only.

Our problem is lack of strikers and pace. You can't coach that.

HatterDon

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 22, 2010, 03:47:25 PM
I am a fan of Lewington. But are we guilty of clutching at any old straw?

Yes, we are. It is refreshing, however, to discover that now that Liverpool have strung together a few decent performances, Roy has been rehabilitated. While they were sucking and we were one of two undefeated sides in the Prem, you may remember, we were all celebrating his failure and looking forward to the Hughes era. Now, of course, we recognize that sort of talk as delusional. Roy is once again God and Hughes is just a cut-rate version of Sanchez.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

duffbeer

Lewington got reassigned sometime in mid to late October I think.  Since then I think we've seen progressively more long ball.  And I probably find long ball less distastful than all of you because I think there is a time and a place for it.  But launching balls up to AJ is madness.

Also, yesterday I think we saw more long ball than Sanchez was ever guilty of.  He at least mixed it up.

HatterDon

Quote from: duffbeer on November 22, 2010, 05:07:06 PM
Lewington got reassigned sometime in mid to late October I think.  Since then I think we've seen progressively more long ball.  And I probably find long ball less distastful than all of you because I think there is a time and a place for it.  But launching balls up to AJ is madness.

Also, yesterday I think we saw more long ball than Sanchez was ever guilty of.  He at least mixed it up.

The vast majority of long balls we saw yesterday resulted from the defence trying to get the ball the hell out of our half. I don't think it was a strategic plan; I think it was "hoof that fecker upfield and give me a chance to catch my breath."

"You are never as good as you look when you win or as bad as you look when you lose." -- Earl Weaver.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

CULTUREVULTURE

Ray Lewington would be a better buffer between players and Hughes than any of the henchmen that Hughes has appointed.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: CULTUREVULTURE on November 22, 2010, 06:45:12 PM
Ray Lewington would be a better buffer between players and Hughes than any of the henchmen that Hughes has appointed.

Any evidence?

Do you know what Hughes relationship is with the players?

CULTUREVULTURE

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 22, 2010, 07:06:16 PM
Quote from: CULTUREVULTURE on November 22, 2010, 06:45:12 PM

Any evidence?

Do you know what Hughes relationship is with the players?

In the most recent Ful-time Mark Bowen talks about how Hughes likes to keep a distance from the players (nothing wrong with that) and that he (MB) acts as the buffer. Now we have Hughes saying they are still finding things out about the squad. Common sense shows that Lewington could still be performing a valuable role around the first team.

TonyGilroy

Simon Davies was very complimentary about Mark Hughes last week but whatever we read is PR babble. Unless you have a source close to the players it's not possible to know how good the situation is between management and players.

I reckon bad results make us think things are bad when the fact is that we lack strikers and pace in midfield. I really don't know what can be done about that other than play ultra defensively and hope to nick the odd goal.

Logicalman

There does appear to be something in the air in West London these days, what with the goings-on with the two Rays, Lew and Butch. Hopefully the downturn the scum have seen since Butch was butchered won't be similar for us since Lew was reduced to the loo.  :wink: