watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Poncing about at the back

Started by bog, July 19, 2020, 09:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Why are so many teams 'poncing about at the back' and giving stupid goals away? Yet again we did it yesterday and this got them right back in the game. Even the so called top sides are doing this. Why? As well no defenders on the posts when defending corners. Call me old fashioned, like my wife does with my wardrobe, just what is wrong with flared trousers? But I just don't see the reason.
Thank you and good night

092.gif 

Jim©

The second one we scored shows why. We pulled them up field and reams pass bypassed 7 of their team as they'd pushed up. High risk/high reward when done correctly.

sunburywhite

Quote from: bog on July 19, 2020, 09:14:41 AM
Why are so many teams 'poncing about at the back' and giving stupid goals away? Yet again we did it yesterday and this got them right back in the game. Even the so called top sides are doing this. Why? As well no defenders on the posts when defending corners. Call me old fashioned, like my wife does with my wardrobe, just what is wrong with flared trousers? But I just don't see the reason.
Thank you and good night

092.gif 

What does she think of your kipper ties?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

filham

Quote from: Jim© on July 19, 2020, 09:19:46 AM
The second one we scored shows why. We pulled them up field and reams pass bypassed 7 of their team as they'd pushed up. High risk/high reward when done correctly.
Quote from: Jim© on July 19, 2020, 09:19:46 AM
I thought our first goal was the best of the game ,that lovely long ball from Hector deep in our half to Kebano wide on the left then a run and a goal. Only two Fulham players involved in the whole pitch length move.  I suppose most will think that is typical long ball stuff and a better team would have been involved in 5 minutes of Parker Ball before scoring. 

ScalleysDad

Thank you and good night

092.gif

Alas poncing about at the back seems to be the current trend in a complete reversal of trying to play like Spain. I saw a couple of Academy level coaching sessions before lockdown that focussed on moving the ball left or right for the next pass and protecting it whilst turning 180 degrees for a back pass. Coaching manuals over the years have embraced the Dutch way, German methodology, Tippy Tappy and what seems like a form of chess. I caught the Championship round up last night and the fake crowd noise missed out on what would have been a series of collective groans as the ball was given away in the defensive third. The Norwich game showed up the new normal as well.
I suppose keeping the ball, drawing the opposition in and pinging the ball to a nippy forward like a Michael Owen in his pomp works on paper. As we have found out what is written on paper does not necessarily work when put into practice.

f bloke

Our second goal stemmed from us poncing around at the back. Arsenals goal last night, the same. It is risk reward thing coupled with good decision making. As a style I like it, but it depends on how, where and when it is executed.

bog

What I meant was when the keeper releases the ball from a goal kick to a defender in his own area inviting the opponents to push up and be caught in possession there. Hector's long ball passing out from the back is a real asset. Christie aint far behind either with that either.

093.gif     

bog

Quote from: sunburywhite on July 19, 2020, 09:27:57 AM
Thank you and good night

092.gif 

What does she think of your kipper ties?

Three times I have taken a bundle of them out of recycling last week alone along with my Ben Shermans and cheese cloth shirts..... :022:

092.gif

ScalleysDad

Spookily Hoddle was on the radio earlier talking about his career in playing, coaching and managing and names like Robson, Scholes, Gascogne flowed. He did not quote the following but Way back then, as Hoddle said at the time and was latterly backed up by the likes of Wilkinson as FA Technical whizz and the much maligned Alladyce who embraced technology there would come a time when flair and creativity would not be enough to get into or be retained in an academy set up. The likes of Rooney were probably the last of that genre and the likes of Grealish are but shadows and charlatans. I only hope the new hope at St George's Park puts the brakes on automaton players as we have a great crop coming in, like Cantwell, who often struggles in the rigidity of survival first.

bog

Quote from: ScalleysDad on July 19, 2020, 11:16:19 AM
Spookily Hoddle was on the radio earlier talking about his career in playing, coaching and managing and names like Robson, Scholes, Gascogne flowed. He did not quote the following but Way back then, as Hoddle said at the time and was latterly backed up by the likes of Wilkinson as FA Technical whizz and the much maligned Alladyce who embraced technology there would come a time when flair and creativity would not be enough to get into or be retained in an academy set up. The likes of Rooney were probably the last of that genre and the likes of Grealish are but shadows and charlatans. I only hope the new hope at St George's Park puts the brakes on automaton players as we have a great crop coming in, like Cantwell, who often struggles in the rigidity of survival first.

I worry about this. I do rate young Cantwell. Would Matt Le Tissier be looked at as an exhibitionist nowadays? Worthington, Bowles, Marsh, Currie etc would they get anywhere? I always rated Hoddle as a player but he was told that he didn't work hard enough. Brazillian and he would have been a world name.

092.gif

Bill2

One of their goals was not because we played the ball around the back but our defenders, Tim and MLM got pushed back to the bye line and the keeper was blocked off. Sometimes they need to realise that kick it out for a corner or throw in. We have conceded a number of goals like this during the season.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: bog on July 19, 2020, 11:53:54 AM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on July 19, 2020, 11:16:19 AM

I worry about this. I do rate young Cantwell. Would Matt Le Tissier be looked at as an exhibitionist nowadays? Worthington, Bowles, Marsh, Currie etc would they get anywhere? I always rated Hoddle as a player but he was told that he didn't work hard enough. Brazillian and he would have been a world name.

092.gif

Graeme Le Saux said that being paired up with Le Tiss in training was hard work only because he barely moved and Laurie Mac said that at times he was useless for 89 minutes. However the likes of Le God and Hoddle, (put aside his latter years), will never grace the game again.