https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Parker and next season

Started by Bocanegra, July 20, 2020, 11:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Quote from: LittleErn on July 20, 2020, 03:26:30 PM
Quote from: filham on July 20, 2020, 01:00:29 PM
It may be worth looking at history and previous managers who took us into the top flight.

1. Frank Osborne 1949
Frank stayed and the team did well for a couple of seasons.

2. Beddy Jezzard 1959
   Beddy played for us and won promotion in his first season as manager and was a huge success keeping us in the top flight for some six years until he resigned because of not being consulted about the transfer of Alan Mullerry.

3. Tigana
Tigan stayed on after promotion and set us of on a long stay in the Premier league.

4. Jocanovic.
Jocanovic stayed on after promotion but was quickly released as a newly built team failed and continued to fail after his release. The club had made bad signings which may not have been entirely under the managers control.

If we manage to get promotion of course you keep your manager and hope that his success continues, we always have done and until probable Stats based interference it has worked well for us.

Parker's player background with us  can be compared to Beddy Jezzard who was a great success.

I was with you until your last sentence. There is no comparison between what Jezzard did for us on the pitch, and Parker's playing career with Fulham. It was the greatest tragedy of my young life when injury forced him to retire far too early. I have an image embedded in my mind of Jezzard running at full pelt and a long pass falling just behind him - without breaking stride, he flicked it up and over his head with his heel and went on to score. So much morre exciting than anything Parker offered, good as he was.
You are so right LittleErn ,I was just trying to say that it is good to have a manager who has had player background with us.
Fully agree that Jezzard's Fulham playing career was so much better than Parker's, really their is no comparison. I was always a big fan of Beddy and wouldn't disagree if you said he was our best post war striker and manager.

RaySmith

Wednesday  didn't play  everyone behind the ball to frustrate our attacks , and thus it was a more open game,giving our attackers more space, which we exploited, even in the second half, when they were more threatening - with the subs.

So i don't know if this is the reason - but GJ compared Hector to Bobby Moore, with his, long accurate passes out of defence to   forwards, maybe even comparable to Johhny Hayne to Tosh,and this created Kebano's opportunity to score the first goal, which he  took incredibly well, and other attacking moves during the game leading to goal threats- we essentially played the long ball very effectively, s well as or usual passing game, which often looked very  good.

But, i suppose Wednesday's set up enabled this change of tactics, instead of our usual slow build up, and shows we have this in our locker.

LittleErn

Quote from: filham on July 20, 2020, 04:03:56 PM
Quote from: LittleErn on July 20, 2020, 03:26:30 PM
Quote from: filham on July 20, 2020, 01:00:29 PM
It may be worth looking at history and previous managers who took us into the top flight.

1. Frank Osborne 1949
Frank stayed and the team did well for a couple of seasons.

2. Beddy Jezzard 1959
   Beddy played for us and won promotion in his first season as manager and was a huge success keeping us in the top flight for some six years until he resigned because of not being consulted about the transfer of Alan Mullerry.

3. Tigana
Tigan stayed on after promotion and set us of on a long stay in the Premier league.

4. Jocanovic.
Jocanovic stayed on after promotion but was quickly released as a newly built team failed and continued to fail after his release. The club had made bad signings which may not have been entirely under the managers control.

If we manage to get promotion of course you keep your manager and hope that his success continues, we always have done and until probable Stats based interference it has worked well for us.

Parker's player background with us  can be compared to Beddy Jezzard who was a great success.

I was with you until your last sentence. There is no comparison between what Jezzard did for us on the pitch, and Parker's playing career with Fulham. It was the greatest tragedy of my young life when injury forced him to retire far too early. I have an image embedded in my mind of Jezzard running at full pelt and a long pass falling just behind him - without breaking stride, he flicked it up and over his head with his heel and went on to score. So much morre exciting than anything Parker offered, good as he was.
You are so right LittleErn ,I was just trying to say that it is good to have a manager who has had player background with us.
Fully agree that Jezzard's Fulham playing career was so much better than Parker's, really their is no comparison. I was always a big fan of Beddy and wouldn't disagree if you said he was our best post war striker and manager.

Certainly in the mix -maybe Tigana was better? I know that Robson, Jezzard, Haynes forward trio put fear into every defence they played against.

alfie

Quote from: Wolf on July 20, 2020, 03:52:22 PM
Should we get promoted I think Parker will have proved himself and earned the right to manage us in the PL. Should we not be promoted we will have failed to reach the key objective, and in doing so we will have underachieved, and I don't see why we would keep him.
Slav failed the first time in playoffs, should he have been sacked then?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Wolf

Quote from: alfie on July 20, 2020, 04:46:29 PM
Should we get promoted I think Parker will have proved himself and earned the right to manage us in the PL. Should we not be promoted we will have failed to reach the key objective, and in doing so we will have underachieved, and I don't see why we would keep him.

He didn't have the whole season (when he had one he achieved promotion), the necessity and expectation of promotion were less (FFP / parachute payments / we'd been in the Championship longer) and he inherited a poorer squad including Jamie O'Hara and Sean Kavanagh.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Sting of the North

Quote from: Wolf on July 20, 2020, 04:54:01 PM
Quote from: alfie on July 20, 2020, 04:46:29 PM

He didn't have the whole season (when he had one he achieved promotion), the necessity and expectation of promotion were less (FFP / parachute payments / we'd been in the Championship longer) and he inherited a poorer squad including Jamie O'Hara and Sean Kavanagh.

He did have the whole season. And the bit-part players he inherited the year before didn't really influence his first promotion push. I agree though that he didn't have a squad quite as good as the current, but it also took him two seasons to get the team to really fire on all cylinders. And I would guess that Alfie's comment more wanted to highlight that maybe failing to reach an objective might not be the only thing to be considered. Thus the comparison with Joka's failure to reach the key objective of promotion (if that was the case).

So, the short answer to your question could be that there is a multitude of reasons as to why you should keep a manager even if he fails to meet certain targets (and there can also be a multitude of reasons for not keeping him, even if he meets his targets, again see Joka but at Watford).

Woolly Mammoth

Too much nonsense these days talking every day about sacking managers replacing managers, there manager is better than ours.  It's bad enough watching these poor little rich Owners sacking managers at a whim.
Lose two games in a row and your a failure.
Keep a club from relegation your a failure, promote a club up a Division that's not good enough he should be replaced.
I know players are spoilt rotten these days, but now there are far too many spoilt fans think it's their right to demand the sacking of a manager every 6 months, because they cannot get what they want.
We are on the brink of promotion with a definite play off place, and still a very small chance of automatic promotion, listening to all the cackling every day is about sacking the current manager, and when these individuals get their way, and a new bloke comes in, give it six months and they will be whinging about replacing him with another manager.
Fulhams record in recent years with bringing in poor managers like Magath and sacking good ones like Slavisa is nothing to shout about, far too many in a short period of time and all got the sack which tells you the many errors of judgement made in the name of Fulham, either in hiring the manager in the first place, and firing the same manager in a short space of time in the second place. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ALG01

I believe parker will be our manager next season regardless.

YankeeJim

We had a group of strangers kicking off when last in the Prem. Slav couldn't pull them together and than the disaster of that block of cheese. No, keep Parker and the core of the team. We're not making it into Europe next season so the goal should be to stay up and then build on that. Parker's conservative approach might just be the recipe to do that.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: OhConnah on July 20, 2020, 11:59:09 AM
Whichever league - Parker stays.

This.

I'm more worried about getting players that can defend, and when needed have counter attacking pace to threaten middle-top level premier league sides.

Even with a new manager, these players aren't beating most sides in the EPL...and I'm not even talking about injuries.

Keep him...either league, because that is exactly what the Khans are going to do.

Sting of the North

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 20, 2020, 06:52:05 PM
We had a group of strangers kicking off when last in the Prem. Slav couldn't pull them together and than the disaster of that block of cheese. No, keep Parker and the core of the team. We're not making it into Europe next season so the goal should be to stay up and then build on that. Parker's conservative approach might just be the recipe to do that.

Do you confuse Ranieri and Magath? Or where is this cheese reference coming from?

General

I think if we keep the same squad and strengthen, with players like Hector in from the off, I'd imagine we'd be top two next season. I'd expect it. Question is, do you want to risk that not happening again?

General

Quote from: General on July 20, 2020, 07:32:28 PM
I think if we keep the same squad and strengthen, with players like Hector in from the off, I'd imagine we'd be top two next season. I'd expect it. Question is, do you want to risk that not happening again?

We've only lost four league games out of 20 since January and two of those were since the restart against Brentford and Leeds since the restart, which I'd put more down to them being after the restart then anything else, as had the season continued as normal, Brentford had been on the back of a 5 game streak without a win in the build up to our game.

We'd need to/have to keep Mitro though in my mind.

Southcoastffc

As I've said on another thread, I'm ever so slightly in the minority 😉, of the opinion that SP should go whatever league we are in.  IMO he's underachieved this season with what is widely regarded as the best squad in the division. Far too often the football has been sterile and unimaginative, far too often we've been subjected to a flat, boring 90 minutes. I don't want another similar season, whichever league we're in.   (I'll get my tin hat)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Twig

What, top two in the Prem? Isn't that just a tad optimistic?

WolverineFFC

Quote from: General on July 20, 2020, 07:36:40 PM

We've only lost four league games out of 20 since January and two of those were since the restart against Brentford and Leeds since the restart, which I'd put more down to them being after the restart then anything else, as had the season continued as normal, Brentford had been on the back of a 5 game streak without a win in the build up to our game.

Scott Parker with Michael Hector = 38 pts over 19 matches. So there is a good argument for keeping him if they can replicate that pace over 46 games.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 20, 2020, 06:55:52 PM

Do you confuse Ranieri and Magath? Or where is this cheese reference coming from?

My bad. They both were so poor I guess I just ran them together.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Sting of the North

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 20, 2020, 11:47:17 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on July 20, 2020, 06:55:52 PM

My bad. They both were so poor I guess I just ran them together.

Fair enough  :003:

The Rational Fan

Quote from: General on July 20, 2020, 07:36:40 PM

It all comes down to finances, if financial we can keep this squad together and add a little we will go up. That seems unlikely as Southampton want Harrison Reed and we probably have to sell two of Mitrovic, Cairney and Anguissa.

After the end of next season, our finances will be "Doing A Leeds" and we will take a minimum of three years to recover. Scott Parker has to be careful not to do a David O'Leary by not delivering promotion because one year from now our wage bill gets cut in a third.

Logicalman

If we don't go up, I'm happy for SP to stay as he is. If we do go up, he will need a much more experienced manager with him to overcome his inexperience, whether that means SP becomes an assistant or whether there is some other structure available.
Either way, I'd like him to stay at the club and hopefully become the manager/HC that I believe he can be in time.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.