watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Alex Dawson

Started by bog, July 21, 2020, 08:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

This may have been mentioned before but sad to see last week that Alex Dawson passed away aged 80. A good centre forward for Man Utd before moving on to Preston, I think he is still the last player to score three in a FA Cup semi final. He was also responsible for introducing me to the acute pain of losing a big game as that semi final was in 1958 and shown live on the BBC. Fortunately I had toothache so was off school so was able to watch. The pain of the 5-3 loss (at 4-3 we were disallowed a fair equaliser by Roy Dwight) was far worse than the tooth ache.

RIP

filham

Rip Alex Dawson.

I have the programme (price 6d /2.5p ) for the semi final at Villa Park dated March, 22nd,1958 and note Dawson is centre forward for United.
This match was just post Munich and the whole country ,apart from Fulham fans, were wishing for a United win

The Fulham line up, as printed, was:-

Chamberlin        Haynes       Stevens            Hill            Dwight

Lawler               Stapleton                   Bentley

Langley                Cohen

Macedo                     

This match ended in a draw which resulted in the replay at Highbury that we lost 3-5., mentioned to above.

bog

I have the programmes for both the games. We should have won the first game at Villa Park. As you say usually all neutrals would have been behind us. 62 years ago now.   

Sir Alec of good Stock

I saw him make his debut on loan at Brentford in a 1-2 home defeat by Bournemouth in about 1970 and I think that he may have scored.
As a 12 year old I had no idea who he was and his incredible goalscoring record.