watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Bottom of the Table

Started by Plodder, July 22, 2020, 10:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plodder

Our focus has been on the top six, but the events at the bottom were even more extraordinary.  Barnsley have kept themselves up thanks to injury time goals in their last two fixtures, Wigan taking only one point from their last two fixtures, and the 12 points deduction for the Latics. Charlton sent down by Barnsley's late, late goal.  However disappointed we are tonight, Charlton supporters (and to a great extent Nottingham Forest supporters, who saw what seemed to be nailed on play-off spot disappear during the last 20 minutes) must be desolate.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Plodder on July 22, 2020, 10:14:20 PM
Our focus has been on the top six, but the events at the bottom were even more extraordinary.  Barnsley have kept themselves up thanks to injury time goals in their last two fixtures, Wigan taking only one point from their last two fixtures, and the 12 points deduction for the Latics. Charlton sent down by Barnsley's late, late goal.  However disappointed we are tonight, Charlton supporters (and to a great extent Nottingham Forest supporters, who saw what seemed to be nailed on play-off spot disappear during the last 20 minutes) must be desolate.

Brentford desolate as well... they threw away a chance to promote against the bottom side... now lost two on the spin after 7 straight wins.

So happy for Barnsley though!
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Sgt Fulham

I can't imagine how awful it must feel to be a Forest fan right now. The biggest bottle job I think I have ever seen.

Mince n Tatties

Sheff Weds could face 10 point deduction,which will put them down.

Carborundum

Extraordinary.  Very pleased for Barnsley who gave our team a masterclass in how to play football in horrible weather.  Can't feel sorry for Charlton, there's nothing false about their finishing position.  But I do feel sorry for Hull fans who will have known perfectly well that if the two best players are sold in January, it's like that moment in cartoons when the character runs over the cliff and waits for gravity to assert itself.

Statto

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on July 22, 2020, 10:21:26 PM
I can't imagine how awful it must feel to be a Forest fan right now. The biggest bottle job I think I have ever seen.

+1

St Eve

Does Bullard still play for that big club in Hull

RoyTund

Quote from: Statto on July 22, 2020, 10:41:25 PM

+1

They had a thread for the last few weeks on their forum about who they wanted in the playoffs. Many wanted us as they were confident they would turn us over. LOL.

http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48857

Motspur

For the three clubs that finished in the bottom three from a football perspective i.e. Barnsley rather than Wigan, we managed to drop 13 points out of 18 points available. If you want to look for reasons why we didn't gain automatic promotion its this.

RoyTund

Quote from: Motspur on July 23, 2020, 09:29:47 AM
For the three clubs that finished in the bottom three from a football perspective i.e. Barnsley rather than Wigan, we managed to drop 13 points out of 18 points available. If you want to look for reasons why we didn't gain automatic promotion its this.

Barnsley nemesis!

filham

Forrest missed the play off on a goal difference of one goal, can't get closer than that.
Had their goal difference been the same as Swasea's woulds goals scored then have been the deciding factor.

colcliff

How can people say they are not sorry for charlton as that is where they should be
and good for Barnsley who only managed to stay up because another team was deducted points
Were not both teams where they were because of results

Carborundum

Quote from: colcliff on July 24, 2020, 12:54:56 PM
How can people say they are not sorry for charlton as that is where they should be
and good for Barnsley who only managed to stay up because another team was deducted points
Were not both teams where they were because of results
I say it because watching both teams play affects my view of them and reduces the importance of the points won.  Not totally so - the worst team I saw this season was Derby, but a top half finish suggests that might have been an off night, so clearly they don't deserve to go down.  But, as a football lover who likes things gritty, I thought Barnsley were magnificent at the Cottage this season.

colcliff

But the point is no matter how different Barnsley or Charlton play
Barnsley are only still in this league because of the 12 point reduction
And if their exciting football had been that effective they would not have finished 3 from bottom