watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Takeaways from that game

Started by smallfulhamman, July 27, 2020, 10:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallfulhamman

Firstly, after that first half I'll admit I was not feeling confident.

Onamah / On a mah'd one
The man of the moment and 100% man of the match for me. Josh stepped up and showed raw physicality against the most physical team in the league, I'm not sure even Mitro could have held the ball up as well as he did today. Nearly every time he received the ball after scoring he slowed it down analysed his options and always picked the best option. Throughout the season since moving into a more attacking role I thought he looked good, but my lord I didn't realise he could be that good.

Cairney
Grew into the game, still left wanting a bit more from the heroic captain of seasons past. The strike that just whizzed wide showed signs of a return to form but a lack of confidence is still evident. Also, just on a non-footballing topic, he did look awfully pale and slightly sickly unsure if there's something in that but i'm clutching at straws to figure out why he's out of form.

Kebano.
Constantly aims to beat a man, his skill on the ball is mesmerising, he continually manages to craft himself a shooting opportunity when cutting in and he makes Cavaleiro and Knockaert look rather lacking in the attacking department. I would happily hand him a contract extension tomorrow. Ayité overshadowed him on arrival in my opinion, but my god it shows why he was on the books for PSG.

Cyrus Christie - Man reborn
Now this one may seem strange but even when we had Fredericks I enjoyed Cyrus' bit part performances and once again he's another that is improving game on game, he offers a bit more in the final third than Bryan despite the stats, feel he'a a little less predictable with his decision making. Defensively he's looked sound and I'd be happy with him in the Prem actually.

Harrison Reed
Quite simply, i'm unsure if Scott Parker, Xavi and special one spice had a love child but this little gem would be the one. His awareness is genuinely incredible, two or three times he made incredible interceptions and he continues to amaze me with how much gas he has in his tank.

Overall
A slightly nervy first half probably edged by Cardiff then turned into a comfortable second half viewing with Scott showing a managerial awareness with the Full Backs with Cyrus and Bryan alternating sitting in the middle with Harrison Reed while the other went forward. Scott's bounce at the end and Onamah running over show how much these boys enjoy being with us and long may it continue. The lack of mitrovic although concerning at first given the physicality of Cardiff proved once again to be a non-issue for our boys in white.

Onto Thursday, I hope we go for an early goal to kill them off and don't sit back and rely on our lead.

COYW.

Barrett487

Could Kebano be this year's Odoi-style hero?

Woolly Mammoth

Kebano giving him a run in the side and Fulham are reaping the benefit.
He has such quick feet, and gives us far more value for our money than Cav, full of a new found confidence, and his patience has paid dividends, well pleased for him.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Generally agree. I thought they only really dominated the first quarter. Reminded me a bit of Millwall away in the last promotion season. That was one of my favourite games of all time and overall an excellent performance, but IIRC correctly the first 20 mins were very uncomfortable for us and even at half-time it was still only 0-0. In all honesty, had luck been against us that day it could have gone a different way. But it wasn't, and once we got our noses in front and started playing with confidence we just totally overwhelmed then.

andyk

Agree Cyrus is solid, defensively secure and seems to make our back four better  .

Delighted for Neeskens, he has been great.

But Josh is looking like the steal of the century.  Could be as good as Dembele, outstanding talent.

Andy S

Totally agree brilliant after the mini break

Ordar

I thought first half they really surprised us with their tactics, as we were lucky (with amazing work from Hector) to be level at the break. Full credit to Parker at HT as we really turned it on second half. Totally dominated it and deservedly scored 2 good goals. I really like Onomah so made up for him scoring one of the best Fulham solo goals I can remember. Hector was incredible. Reed as always MOM candidate.

They're going to go all out the first 15 mins of the second leg, so I hope the team is prepared for that. But we have put ourselves in an incredible position. That second half was just so solid

Andy S

And that is the point 5hey never even managed a token goal. We just beat them so comprehensively it is hard to se how the manager can lift them. If he says go for it in the first ten mins they will be physically knackered if nothing goes in and then they are there for the taking

DanVerSar

Great result. Tough choice between Onomah and Hector for me. I am really pleased Onomah has started to show his quality. I was unimpressed and didn't want him to play early in the season as I felt he wasn't good enough to keep Johansen out of the side. He's proving his worth now, fair play to him and Scott Parker.

On a separate note, is Kebano out of contract this summer?

Black and White Town

I wish we could go to matches - I'd love another day out at Wembley!

filham

A great night for us  but as Parker said it is only half time. Important that on Thursday we pick up where we left off and we don't want to finish with anyone saying it was a game of two halves.

Dr Quinzel

Most enjoyable 45 in a long time. Ended the game smiling from ear to ear.

filham

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on July 28, 2020, 01:12:43 PM
Agree match of the season so far but lets hope it is topped by the match at Wembley.

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: filham on July 28, 2020, 05:51:54 PM
Agree match of the season so far but lets hope it is topped by the match at Wembley.

Steady on - still got tomorrow. Not counting my chickens

H4usuallysitting

filham

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on July 29, 2020, 11:55:37 AM
Quote from: filham on July 28, 2020, 05:51:54 PM

Steady on - still got tomorrow. Not counting my chickens
Quite right. The closer we get to Thursday night the more nervous i become, keep thinking of how the match could go wrong for us. It just needs one of those silly errors in our own half in the first ten minutes and then we are in trouble.
An early Mitro goal would be welcomed.

Dr Quinzel

I wouldn't say nervous - I think it's almost in the bag, but I'm just too scared to say it loud/believe it fully just yet. Plus I don't want to be called out if it all goes pear shaped  :010:

WindyCity

It's very nice to see goals being tallied by those not named Mitro.  I posted before the games' start that I wasn't worried going into the game sans Mitro.  Sometimes I feel FFC is a better team without Mitro, at least they're not as predictable.  And their record without him has been stellar. 

Interesting decision for Parker to make for Thur game.  If Mitro is in the slightest way still not 100%, then you need to have him out.  But if he is ready to go, what do you think Parker does?  Me, I think Parker starts Mitro if he is good to go.  Not saying one way or the other I would agree with that.

kiwian

Yes a  great performance, but we wasted several good opportunities with attacking free kicks, hopefully they will be on song tomorrow.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?