watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Caution

Started by Peabody, July 28, 2020, 10:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

I am usually an optimist but can I urge a bit of caution on Thursday. Cardiff must be spitting feathers today and will be out for revenge. I am sure Scott is aware of this but are we, as fans?

Bocanegra

Was going to start a similar thread.

Need to spend next few days with one goal in mind and expect Scott to be getting the boys focused.

Need to be sharp from first minute and avoid them getting an early goal as that could throw us. They really have no pressure now.

Need to make sure no one gets any stupid cards or involved in stupid situations as no doubt the Cardiff players will be throwing in challenges in desperation.

MaidenheadMick

Cardiff will be throwing more men forward very early on Thursday as they need 3 goals. Keep it tight defensively and the gaps will appear in their back four. Would go with the same team

FFC1987

We have a very, very good record holding leads in games. Hopefully this is transferable to games with additional legs. I think we'll be fine and this will suit us. Cardiff will open up more and commit more which opens them up. Something you don't usually allow. I'm more optimistic than I was when I saw the team sheet yesterday evening.

filham

Quote from: MaidenheadMick on July 28, 2020, 11:57:53 AM
Cardiff will be throwing more men forward very early on Thursday as they need 3 goals. Keep it tight defensively and the gaps will appear in their back four. Would go with the same team

They actually need only two goals to take us into a penalty shoot out.
Yes , we really have to exercise caution. I have to admit my mind was wondering to the final and thinking about resting players on Thursday.
It is only half time and we have to avoid a game of two halves.

Motspur Park

Hope we set up quite solid defensively with plans to hit them fast on the break. I noticed the stat saying we have the fewest quick counterattack goals in the division but I hope it is something that we have been planning and working on.

fulhamben

I very much doubt anyone who has seen us play this season will be anything but cautious going into this. Yes m still extremely nervous that we will do something stupid to throw it away
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

jarv

I think 0-0 at half time with a lot of Fulham posession (which they have practised all season according to many on here.)  It will be play to your strengths and catch them on the break. Of course a 3-0 lead would be great by half time but we had that v. Wednesday and nearly blew it.  Yes, caution i the way.

Bocanegra

Quote from: fulhamben on July 28, 2020, 12:09:25 PM
I very much doubt anyone who has seen us play this season will be anything but cautious going into this. Yes m still extremely nervous that we will do something stupid to throw it away

True, would you keep same starting 11? Obviously Mitro fitness changes things.

RoyTund

This is Fulham. Very much doubt many of our fans are thinking this is over.

Play harris' post match interview to our team, come out fast and score first. Watch the visible deflation then

RoyTund

Quote from: Bocanegra on July 28, 2020, 01:00:45 PM

Really not sure we are going to start Mitro now (as in risk him). Worth giving AK proper game time too.

fulhamben

id start ak over Reid

bog

I totally agree Peabody. I can't hear that fat lady singing. 3-0 v Sheff Wed at half time and well on top, but a silly goal given away in the 47th minute and they really got at us. If we let Cardiff get on top early on....Neil Harris will be really firing them up.   I don't want to have an idea of how Forest supporters are now feeling thank you very much.

092.gif   

fulhamben

Quote from: bog on July 28, 2020, 01:12:10 PM
I totally agree Peabody. I can't hear that fat lady singing. 3-0 v Sheff Wed at half time and well on top, but a silly goal given away in the 47th minute and they really got at us. If we let Cardiff get on top early on....Neil Harris will be really firing them up.   I don't want to have an idea of how Forest supporters are now feeling thank you very much.

092.gif   
we have form. Huddlesfield at home went from cruising 3 0 at halftime to should have probably lost the game. We need to be solid, especially in the first ten minutes where we are usually slow off the block. 

Mullers OG

Great result but it's not all over by any means.  It needs to be tight at the back and I would change Christie for Odoi, not because I thought Christie had anything other than a fine match but because Odoi is defensively tighter.

Then Mitro comes in automatically if fit instead of Reid.  Cavaleiro on the bench if fit and then a bench of Betts, Christie, Johannsen, Mawson, Cavalairo, Reid and Jasper looks strong and full of proper footballers.  Arter, if fit, or McD to come in if anyone unfit.

General

Quote from: fulhamben on July 28, 2020, 01:09:11 PM

id start ak over Reid

I was wondering this too. I think both serve a purpose tactically but I think actually a player like Sean Morrison would be better suited to a more physical player, he understands that physical player more - what I think cardiff players at the back struggle with most is agility and technical players who can duck and dive - something I think was evidenced by Onomah's goal and Neeskens performance. I think when you're a big player (height wise) like Sean Morrison, sometimes dealing with a smaller more agile player with lower centre of gravity can be a much trickier obstacle.

Whilst obviously Bobby Reid didn't score and was limited to chances, I think it requires a lot more thinking and being on your toes to mark a player like Bobby when you're more reliant on your physical attributes and that can be just as exhausting as running around.. that mental fatigue and also that fluidity and interchange between more nimble players like Bobby, Neeskens and Knocky.

Think Kamara is better for stretching defences later on once Bobby's knackered them out mentally in this case. I'm sure a case could be made for Bobby going on as a sub to make more of their physical exhaustion which would happen more under Kamara, but sometimes I think Kamara may look for physical side of the game. I think it's harder to recover from mental fatigue then it is physical fatigue. 

filham

Yes we have to be on our defensive toes, especially in the early stages. Mitro will be a great help against those long throws and we have a number of clean sheets to our credit this season so really they have have a big task to score an early goal.

We really should be capable of putting this one to bed and to start thinking of Wembley on Friday morning.

Woolly Mammoth

I like the idea of Kamara replacing Reid for this return fixture v Cardiff. AK is a different animal and will bulldoze his way through and give them a lot to think about with his pace and power, and they will be preoccupied at the back.
Let's have plenty of traffic in midfield and keep our shape and keep our nerve.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

shepperton white

I hate to sound churlish, but there is one thing that concerns me about the team - why oh why do we always start so slow for the 20 min or so.  We could have easily been 2 down before the drinks stop had it not been for mighty Hector and a poor finish from Herman the German. Having said that, once we got our mojo going we were unstoppable.