watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Reid & Knock. Transfer Fees

Started by filham, July 28, 2020, 12:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

One of the Sky pundits last night said that Fulham recently paid £10m each for Reid and Knock. I had not previously heard a figure quoted, I assume we paid a similar sum for Cav.

Not sure the three of them are worth a total of £30m when in a play off final two of them could be on the bench having been replaced in a starting line up by old favourites Kamara and Kebano.

fulhamben

All 3 would be on the bench if we have a fully fit squad.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: filham on July 28, 2020, 12:33:41 PM
One of the Sky pundits last night said that Fulham recently paid £10m each for Reid and Knock. I had not previously heard a figure quoted, I assume we paid a similar sum for Cav.

Not sure the three of them are worth a total of £30m when in a play off final two of them could be on the bench having been replaced in a starting line up by old favourites Kamara and Kebano.

It's been noted numerous times on here that the figures quoted (likely) include the loan fees paid for this season, as the deals were constructed that way last summer for financial reasons (Sess sale, etc). It's possible we didn't even have the option not to complete the purchase, but even if we did, why wouldn't you pay another 6m to secure each of them permanently?

If you're saying you wouldn't have paid 10M prior to the season for each, I'm not sure I would believe you.

The Rational Fan

I heard Knockaert's fee includes a £10 million bonus to Brighton if we reach premier league with the parchuate payment period, and the fee is reported as £10.5m in transfermarkt, so Knockaert could have transfer fee of £0.5m that rises to £10.5m if Fulham are promoted within the parachute payment period, which would be a reasonable deal for both Fulham and Brighton.

It also must be noted that Knockaert's contract needed to be extended for him to play after the lockdown, a £10m bonus for promotion may have been the only way not to break FFP if we don't go up; as for a transfer fee of £0.5m if we don't go up, this seems reasonable given he has our 3rd most expensive wages. He has a history of playing a vastly improved second season at most clubs and don't kid yourself Knockaert at his best is the close to the best player in this league.

Statto

Quote from: Denver Fulham on July 29, 2020, 12:44:50 AM
If you're saying you wouldn't have paid 10M prior to the season for each, I'm not sure I would believe you.

Indeed

Arthur

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 29, 2020, 12:51:32 AM
He has a history of playing a vastly improved second season at most clubs and don't kid yourself Knockaert at his best is the close to the best player in this league.

Most clubs being just two - let's be clear. And what was also the case was that he finished his first season at both Leicester and Brighton in good form (Knockaert's impressive performance in our 0-5 loss at the Amex in April 2016 will no doubt be remembered by some on here) - an indication of what was to come in the campaign that followed. This season, however, there has been no such upturn in his form: for all his enthusiasm, post-lockdown, he has done next to nothing of note as an attacker.

And while Knockaert at his best was indeed an outstanding player in this league, that is the past. From where does the belief arise that he will once again be as devastating in the future?

Woolly Mammoth

Perhaps it may be worth waiting for Knocks second season then.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Arthur on July 29, 2020, 02:16:13 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 29, 2020, 12:51:32 AM
He has a history of playing a vastly improved second season at most clubs and don't kid yourself Knockaert at his best is the close to the best player in this league.

Most clubs being just two - let's be clear. And what was also the case was that he finished his first season at both Leicester and Brighton in good form (Knockaert's impressive performance in our 0-5 loss at the Amex in April 2016 will no doubt be remembered by some on here) - an indication of what was to come in the campaign that followed. This season, however, there has been no such upturn in his form: for all his enthusiasm, post-lockdown, he has done next to nothing of note as an attacker.

And while Knockaert at his best was indeed an outstanding player in this league, that is the past. From where does the belief arise that he will once again be as devastating in the future?

Knockaert is not showing the signs of having an amazing season next season. But lately, he has looked fit, healthy, and athletic but his football skills, like shot accuracy, aren't at its best. He is still young enough to have two to three great seasons and he looks fit enough to come close to his best, while the state of his mental game is unknown to me. He just needs to recapture his footballing skills, by getting his physical and mental game to its best. I think his physical condition looks like its 90% of what it used to be so and player's mental games can improve quickly. Just look at the turn arounds of Reed, Onamah and Kebano, three players that have traditionally not delivered as much as Knockaert.

hongkongfulham

I was a Knock detractor for a while but in recent weeks you really can't fault his effort to work for the team. Seeing him busting a gut consistently to join the attack or get back in shape sets a good precedent for those around him, even when maybe his productivity isn't what he/we would hope it is. He needs to get more arrows to his quiver other than cut in on to his left and shoot though but at his age he may have his best seasons ahead of him.

Also Denver the last dinosaur makes good points regarding fees.

alfie

I just liked his encouragement he gave AK when he was subbed, that showed a great passion, he was obviously disappointed at being replaced, but did not sulk or throw a tantrum, just pure encouragement
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

rebel

It would have been on extended terms, so over 3 / 4 years. Rumor has it that Leeds are still paying for Mark Viduka. 

General

Personally I don't think they've lost their abilities and talent overnight.. I think it's a lot of talent and they need time to get used to finding the best way to play with each other.. that and probably a bit better man management.

filham

It's been noted numerous times on here that the figures quoted (likely) include the loan fees paid for this season, as the deals were constructed that way last summer for financial reasons (Sess sale, etc). It's possible we didn't even have the option not to complete the purchase, but even if we did, why wouldn't you pay another 6m to secure each of them permanently?

Well that puts a different perspective on the situation.
You are saying that we were really committed to signing both Cav. and Knock from the start of the season and that the transfer fee was agreed at that early stage.
Please tell me a similar situation exists with Reed and if not why not.

Sgt Fulham

Damn we could have bought another Seri for that price!

Sting of the North

Quote from: filham on July 29, 2020, 08:58:39 AM

Well that puts a different perspective on the situation.
You are saying that we were really committed to signing both Cav. and Knock from the start of the season and that the transfer fee was agreed at that early stage.
Please tell me a similar situation exists with Reed and if not why not.

For one Reed was not nearly as proven as a star player at this level before the season, so that we were not willing to commit to signing him beforehand. That could be one reason. Another reason could be that Southampton didn't want to structure the deal that way. Or that Reed wasn't willing to commit at that stage.

The Rational Fan

Tony Khan vaguely implied in an interview that the Harrison Reed deal came with a huge promotion bonus and that's not how you structure a deal for a player your trying to sell. You could see TK liked that kind of deal, because he probably had more free budget if we went up than stayed in the championship.

Arthur

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 29, 2020, 02:57:49 AM
Knockaert is not showing the signs of having an amazing season next season. But lately, he has looked fit, healthy, and athletic but his football skills, like shot accuracy, aren't at its best. He is still young enough to have two to three great seasons and he looks fit enough to come close to his best...

I don't deny that it's possible for any player to improve from one season to the next and, of course, it can only be a good thing if he does. I just think that the interpretation you are placing on what happened at Leicester and Brighton - and hence the degree of expectation we can have that Knockaert will be at his best next season - is misjudged.

At Leicester, his second-season improvement may have owed itself to his age: many 21-year-old players are yet to reach their peak; and/or his getting used to English football.

At Brighton, he only joined the club in January 2016 (from Standard Liege) and, I would say, pretty much hit the ground running. Certainly, he was in devastating form that April - and not only against us. I don't see that there was a weaker first season (or even a below-par spell) at Brighton for Knockaert. The way he played in 2016-17 was not an improvement - but a continuation - of the form he had been showing from shortly after his arrival there.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 29, 2020, 10:24:58 AM
Tony Khan vaguely implied in an interview that the Harrison Reed deal came with a huge promotion bonus and that's not how you structure a deal for a player your trying to sell. You could see TK liked that kind of deal, because he probably had more free budget if we went up than stayed in the championship.

Can you provide an exact quote from TK?

The Independent article this week said "the agreed price will fluctuate significantly based on whether [Fulham] achieve promotion" but I assumed it was the other way around, ie a higher fee if we're promoted.

I find it nigh on impossible to believe that Southampton would let us pay LESS if we're promoted, ie in a situation where we have more money to spend and become a direct rival to them.

Jims Dentist

Knocky is sometimes frustrating to watch.
I feel our opponents now know his game on the right too well for him to be dangerous there.
We have seen glimpses of him attacking on the left and he has looked effective there in getting in good crosses into the box.
I just wish S P would allow him to spend more time there.
IMHO I think he would create a lot of chances