watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What players have empathy with the fans

Started by Sinjun, July 30, 2020, 10:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinjun

After watching tonights game I wondered which players shared empathy with the fans and those that don't.
My ones that do are, Ream, Odoi, Kebano. Those that don't, Mitrovic, Knockeart and Bryan.
What do you all think?

gezkc

I'm not really sure what you mean. Why don't you think Mitrovic, Knockaert and Bryan "share empathy"?

Plodder

Most footballers enjoy the camaraderie with the fans, but ultimately, they are professional players, so they don't feel it in the same way as we do.  Some may like the atmosphere of a particular club and feel a bit of an affinity, but if they aren't being picked for the first team, and they get the chance for a move, and more money, they are off without a second glance.

Sinjun

I can't warm to them as people, where as Ream,Odoi and Kebano seem good blokes. Just my observation, I have no idea what they are actually like.

Twig

Sorry I just don't understand your point. You simply seem to be saying that only the players you like have "empathy with the fans", seems a bit random.

Sgt Fulham

Always felt like Mitro has had a good connection with our fans. Knockaert is usually a fan favourite but I don't think he has really been taken in by our fans just yet. Perhaps he can change that on Tuesday.

john dempsey

Put the top back on the bottle turn it clockwise as hard as you can
have a lie down all will seem better in the morning.

General

Quote from: Sinjun on July 30, 2020, 10:09:04 PM
After watching tonights game I wondered which players shared empathy with the fans and those that don't.
My ones that do are, Ream, Odoi, Kebano. Those that don't, Mitrovic, Knockeart and Bryan.
What do you all think?

Hi Sinjun, may I suggest perhaps empathy isn't the right word? empathy suggests that the players really understand the emotions of how we feel and take it on board to motivate them and feel part of something.

I think in the life of a professional footballer that can be a bad thing as whilst you may love the game and have contributing factors to what makes you appreciate playing for a club, the key bit is to play in a team you enjoy, under a manager, getting good results and that's it. It'd be silly otherwise to get too emotionally invested if a club gave you no guarantees of security emotionally or jobwise.

Of course some players love fulham and 'get' the club and do very well as a result - Moritz Volz, Jimmy Bullard, Brede Hangeland are a few examples of players who have taken to the club. I'd put Cairney in the catergory of player who has a very good bond and emotional connection to the club, I think mitro does too for what it's worth.

I'd say Johansen and Mcdonald do/did too and alongside Cairney in the middle three loved playing with each other and under slav and that obviously showed.

I think Knockaert has put a lot of effort into fans and wants to be a fan favourite, but we're being quite hard task masters on him, which in many ways is unfair as he's done alright for us, albeit not shined - which i'm sure is a frustration for him as much as it is for us.

OtherHodgson

Well for what it's worth I've met Ream and Odoi, have had conversations with them, and would definitely say that both really care about the club and are down when we aren't doing well. They really care.

COYW!!!

clarkey

Ream has always been great with the crowd and recognises the importance of the relationship.

Meanwhile Bryan just does not seem to get "it" at all.Nor Christie who looks perpetually bemused, whereas Odoi definitely that bit brighter. Equally Cav is useless with the fans, but Cairney and StefJo both realise the importance of a good rapport between both parties: players and supporters united and all that !

That's the truth some players are just naturally more intelligent and better sportsmen than others.Fulham same as every club. You'd think they would understand that Fulham is a special place though and they are lucky to be here !

Statto

Quote from: clarkey on July 31, 2020, 07:20:15 AM
Ream has always been great with the crowd and recognises the importance of the relationship.

Meanwhile Bryan just does not seem to get "it" at all.Nor Christie who looks perpetually bemused, whereas Odoi definitely that bit brighter. Equally Cav is useless with the fans, but Cairney and StefJo both realise the importance of a good rapport between both parties: players and supporters united and all that !

That's the truth some players are just naturally more intelligent and better sportsmen than others.Fulham same as every club. You'd think they would understand that Fulham is a special place though and they are lucky to be here !

Nothing to do with intelligence. Yes Bryan is a bit more reserved but he isn't stupid. I doubt Christie is either. Believe it or not, not everyone likes engaging with 20,000 people. I know I wouldn't.

bog

I don't expect empathy. It is different from the long gone '50's when we would ride a bus with some players as times have moved on. Some players have to put up with some horrific abuse from the terraces or on unsocial media, we don't know their side. If a player gives 100% to the cause that does for me. Mitro staying when we were relegated spoke volumes of his feelings for the club I love.

Thank you and good night

092.gif   

Fulham1959

I have never worked in any organisation where everyone has the same personality - thank goodness.  We are what we are and cannot necessarily change to what people want us to be.

Sinjun

Thanks everyone for these discussion posts. I'm off back to the 50s on the bus, wonder if any of the lads will be on it 😊

RaySmith

It's been well publicised that Bryan suffers from Anxiety, and has spoken openly about this to help others with mental health problems.
So,1, he probably has a problem relating to strangers and crowds generally, and has to concentrate on his game, and shut the world out, and 2, his willingness to help others shows he is a decent bloke.

But, in  fact, I don't think you can tell much about a person  unless you know them well, let alone have never met them.
Unfair to  judge them as people, unless you know them.

Twig

Quote from: RaySmith on July 31, 2020, 06:08:24 PM

It's been well publicised that Bryan suffers from Anxiety, and has spoken openly about this to help others with mental health problems.
So,1, he probably has a problem relating to strangers and crowds generally, and has to concentrate on his game, and shut the world out, and 2, his willingness to help others shows he is a decent bloke.

But, in  fact, I don't think you can tell much about a person  unless you know them well, let alone have never met them.
Unfair to  judge them as people, unless you know them.

Agree with you Ray and I would ad that to mix up intelligence with personality is hopelessly wrong.

filham

I am thinking Tosh, Ivor, Fred Callaghan, Jim Stanard.
All of the present players have a way to go yet.

Southcoastffc

Dennis Odoi, KMac, Stefjo, Bettinelli.    As to Joe Bryan's intelligence, which I agree has zilch to do with empathy, his mother is a teacher and his father a surgeon so it's doubtful that he's not bright.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.