more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

the Academy...

Started by WhiteJC, November 24, 2010, 01:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

at last some news from our Academy...

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/RonnyMinkwitzThroughtheRanks.aspx?

Through the Ranks

Academy prospect Ronny Minkwitz has only been at the Club for five months, but the talented midfielder has already caused quite a stir.

A product of what was a successful summer recruitment drive, the German youngster has settled into his new surroundings with relative ease, producing a string of impressive performances for the U18s.

Playing with a maturity beyond his tender years, Minkwitz prowls the pitch, dictating play and raising the tempo. A catalyst for some of his team's brightest moves, he has also been the scorer of spectacular goals.

"It has been a good start for me at Fulham," he admits. "I haven't been here that long, but already I feel at home. Things have been going well for the team and for myself, and that is very pleasing. I just hope that will continue.

"The team has to maintain its standards and keep working hard, while the players, as individuals, have to keep listening to the coaches and making sure they are doing the best that they can.

"If we can keep doing that then it could be a very good season for us all."

Having reached the Quarter-Final of the FA Youth Cup sponsored by E.ON last season, the Whites will embark on what all are hoping will be another exciting cup run when West Bromwich Albion visit Craven Cottage for the Third Round clash on Wednesday December 1st, 2010.

"If I am involved it will be a new experience for me," explains Ronny. "The boys have told me how well they did last season, and that they were unlucky not to go further than they did. Hopefully, we can do that this year.

"I am really excited by the possibility of playing at Craven Cottage. It's a taste of what we all hope will be our future – every one of us wants to be running out onto that pitch on a regular basis. It's a dream we all share.

"We're doing well in the league, and it would be nice to make it another memorable season for the Academy. It's up to us to make that happen."

The dynamic central midfielder's potential has long been monitored by Fulham's Head of Talent ID and Recruitment Malcolm Elias, and the Club had to move swiftly to secure his undoubted promise.

The 16-year-old had spent two seasons as a junior player in the highly-regarded Stuttgart youth system, with coaches tipping him for a bright future at the Mercedes-Benz Arena.

"Stuttgart were my home club and one with an excellent reputation for producing young players for the first team," he explains. "It would have been easy for me to stay, but the move to Fulham was too good to turn down.

"I know I am young, but I wanted to experience life in another country. I wanted something new, something that would present experiences that I could learn from.

"It was difficult at first, but that was mainly as a result of having to sort out things like my National Insurance and bank details. But once that was all sorted, it has proved a very easy move for me.

"Sure, there are times when I miss my family and friends and, to me, Stuttgart is the nicest place in the world. But in football I think it is important to step away from your comfort zone.

"I have no regrets about the decision I have made at all, this is a fantastic club and one that has made me feel very comfortable. I am very happy in England."

Unlike some international imports, the youngster says he relishes the physical encounters he faces out on the pitch – it is a side of the game he clearly enjoys.

"I know that some players come over and struggle with the physicality of the game here," he considers. "It takes them a little while to adapt and get used to the tackles and pace of play.

"German football is more technical, that is true, but I like the style of play in England. Back home, quite often I would get penalised for my tackling. It was frustrating because, in my opinion, there was nothing wrong.

"It's different here, referees aren't blowing up for fouls all of the time. I think the Premier League has the best of both worlds; pace and power, but also skill and creativity. I do think I am more suited to the football in this country.

"I work hard, run a lot, pass the ball around and generally keep things simple. I shout and make tackles too, but isn't that what being a midfielder is all about?"

Minkwitz admits that prior to the Club's memorable UEFA Europa League excursion last season, his knowledge of Fulham was somewhat limited. However, that has since changed.

"I have to be honest don't I?" he says with a smile. "I knew that the likes of Damien Duff and Mark Schwarzer played here, but I didn't know too much about Fulham. But that certainly changed as the Club reached the Final of the UEFA Europa League.

"For a while it seemed like Fulham were playing in Germany every week. They got the better of both Wolfsburg and Hamburg, turned a lot of heads, and as a result they have the respect of a lot of German fans.

"So it was an exciting opportunity for me to come here, and I can say now that I know a lot more about the Club! Now, there is no excuse."

A popular player off the pitch too, Minkwitz looks set to be a key figure for the U18s in the coming months and seasons, with his drive and direction already rewarded with a place in Billy McKinlay's Development Squad.

"I have had some positive feedback from my coaches and I think they are happy with what they have seen so far," says Ronny. "It's good to hear nice things being said about me, but it's important for me to keep working hard and learning the game.

"Some players stop working when they start liking what they hear being said about them, but that isn't the case for me. I know that I have a lot of work ahead of me, and for most young players we are simply talking about potential.

"But I want to become a top professional, and I believe Fulham is the place where I can become one."

...sounds a good'un doesn't he, now what's happening with the two lads from Liverpool?

Lighthouse

The Liverpool lads seem to be on the verge. Both play for the reserves and both scored yesterday in a win over Palace. Very few players as we know make the step up. But I really hope that Hughes has the opportunity to blood a few more this season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SmithyFFC

Shame is this lad may make on sub appearance and end up being sold to a league two team.
FTID

michaelread

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 24, 2010, 03:00:49 PM
The Liverpool lads seem to be on the verge. Both play for the reserves and both scored yesterday in a win over Palace. Very few players as we know make the step up. But I really hope that Hughes has the opportunity to blood a few more this season.

As it has eerily proven in the past, Football Manager has rated Dalla Valle as one of the top players in the world consistently for the past few years (lack of chances has spurned this recently)

I know it might not mean much....but back in the 2007 and 8 versions of the game, in about 2013 he was topping the premier league scorers table every year for Liverpool.

i honestly think he is worth a shot, why not, what is there to lose? He is big and strong and is, reportedly, a brilliant finisher.

HatterDon

I think that once we're comfortably ensconced mid-table, we're going to see a couple of these kids in a first-team match. It would be unfair for Mark to turn to a teenager now when 50% of the fans are in a terrified state. The pressure on them would be immense. It would be better to wait until they could enjoy their football and contribute to a solid team.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

WhiteJC

Quote from: HatterDon on November 24, 2010, 04:19:30 PM
I think that once we're comfortably ensconced mid-table, we're going to see a couple of these kids in a first-team match. It would be unfair for Mark to turn to a teenager now when 50% of the fans are in a terrified state. The pressure on them would be immense. It would be better to wait until they could enjoy their football and contribute to a solid team.

I though Briggs did OK

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: HatterDon on November 24, 2010, 04:19:30 PM

Either that, or they can shine in the Championship.... :doh: