watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mawson

Started by Brawn, August 10, 2020, 12:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

buying an injured player is an error ferggie left RVN in holland until he proved himself fit.

This was a very poor signing, not because mawson is a poor player because he has been very good but he is not fit and is shwoing no signs we can depend on him.

Count Flapula

While I think he has the ability and all the hallmarks of a good Prem quality CB when fit, I get the feeling that he has never been fully fit in his entire time with Fulham - playing with some sort of knee issue this entire time. He has never performed to the level he did at Swansea when he was one of their best players in a faltering team - certainly Prem quality.

Even the first half of this season where he played almost every game, I get the feeling he wasn't fully fit the entire time and played out of necessity / lack of options (a view possibly reinforced by his immediate absence from most/all match day squads after Hector stepped in, rather than dropping to the bench pre-lockdown. Guessing SP wanted to give him time to rest and get his knee right).

I think the key issue is whether his knee injury from before we signed him is chronic / has finished him off as a top level EPL CB, or whether he has had seriously bad luck with a series of separate injuries (not sure whether "shoelace-gate" was the same knee / same ligament or not? Anyone?). Am seriously hoping the latter and that he can regain fitness / belief his body wont let him down so he can play to his full potential, but must admit I fear it's the former. Someone at the club will know the answer and it if is the former, sadly we must have no room for passengers, as regrettable as the situation may be.

filham

Mawson has now had two full seasons at Fulham, our medics must be aware of the extent of his injury, This is being very hard but it is going to be a tough season for the club, no room for passengers.

Whitestone

Whenever Mawson has been fit he rarely played left centre back which I believe to be his favoured position. I've always been of the view that be is a better defender than Ream who is better at bringing the ball out than Mawson. In the Prem we will need a better defender than Ream so assuming we will continue to play the same way we need to quickly find another centre back who can defend and bring the ball out because if we continue with Ream we have good chance of repeating our goals against column of the season before last. From what I've seen Mawson isn't comfortable with ball and not great at picking a pass so we need a new centre back integrated in time for the first game on 12 September.

Dougie

Quote from: Brawn on August 10, 2020, 12:25:28 AM
What do we do with Mawson now?

Well he has two years left on his contract, after which I imagine we won't offer him a new contract, and he'll leave on a free. If that Norwich rumour is genuine we may seem him go there on loan next year but I doubt there will be a fee involved. The boy has clearly been spoiled by injury.

AnOldBrownie

six month loan to Swansea.    See if they bite.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Dougie on August 10, 2020, 08:42:39 PM
Quote from: Brawn on August 10, 2020, 12:25:28 AM
What do we do with Mawson now?

Well he has two years left on his contract, after which I imagine we won't offer him a new contract, and he'll leave on a free. If that Norwich rumour is genuine we may seem him go there on loan next year but I doubt there will be a fee involved. The boy has clearly been spoiled by injury.

Mawson cost us £5.7m per season for his first four seasons (due to transfer fee being amortized), but he only actually earns £1.7m per season in wages. As long as he is mid-table Championship defender, he is probably still worth his wages, so we should extend his contract, but if his body comes well he could be worth several times more if he comes good.

No point selling him now, the money is gone and him never playing well again is factored into the price. In truth, he probably has 20% -40% chance of returning to his old form sometime in his career.

It seems as soon as Hector arrived, he took half the season off to get his knee repaired, this could be a master stroke that puts him on to a good road to recovery especially if this season he is "only squad player" like we all hope he is. Hence, he could be in good shape by the time is required to start.

FFCBadger

At 26 on a modest wage it's a suck it and see for next season. If he doesnt figure it'll be a shame but it'll be an off load sooner than later.
Shame as I thought he showed promise when he started for us, I remember some suggesting he should be our new captain even!

And, what does this mean for a Kongolo, he's also been injured for a while?