more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff - 10/08/20...

Started by WhiteJC, August 10, 2020, 08:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Promoted stars: Hector has transformed Fulham defence

Adrian Clarke says stylish centre-back has earned comparison with Virgil van Dijk and will be a key man in the Premier League

Centre-back Michael Hector could be Fulham's most important player this season.

The 28-year-old arrived from Chelsea in January 2020.

From that moment on, the 6ft 4in Jamaica international was an outstanding presence, dominating Championship strikers.

Tall, aggressive, quick and a good reader of the game, he formed a reliable partnership with American Tim Ream.

Instantly strengthening the weakest part of Scott Parker's team, Hector has become the defensive rock Fulham are bound to rely on in 2020/21.

His quality and understanding with Ream, coupled with Parker's cautious approach, should ensure the Cottagers avoid a repeat of the 81 goals they conceded when they were relegated from the Premier League in 2018/19.

Fulham with and without Hector

2019/20    Matches    Clean sheets    Goals conceded 
With Hector    23    11   21   
Without Hector    26    6   31   

Hector's style of play has been compared to that of Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk.

While he has some way to go to emulate the Dutchman's success, he has certainly made a huge impact for Fulham.

Hector's pace and all-round defensive nous, honed during several loan spells, will be critically important when the team are put under additional pressure in 2020/21.

During the playoffs he made a number of telling contributions at key moments, as they beat Cardiff City over two legs before triumphing 2-1 against Brentford in the final.

Hector stats 2019/20

Fulham     Total     Per 90    
Matches played     23     -     
Tackles     31     1.3     
Blocks     18     0.8     
Clearances     110     4.7     
Succ. long passes     140     6     
Aerial duels won     91     3.9     

Hector is strong in the air, an aggressive tackler and is not afraid to put his body on the line.

Confident on the ball, he enjoys bringing it out of defence before hitting precise long passes to his forwards.

Hector has waited a long time for this chance to prove himself in the Premier League, and his form in 2020 suggests he is

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1749738

WhiteJC

Cody Drameh and Leif Davis could become a deadly duo

Cody Drameh looks set to join Leeds United.

The 18-year-old has just one year left on his deal at Craven Cottage, and it looks as though United will land their man

£1m is the reported fee that the Whites will pay for the teenager, and in a few years that could begin to look like an absolute bargain.

Landing a defender that has previously been coveted my Manchester City will always look like a good move, but the fact that he's also been likened to former Fulham teammate Ryan Sessegnon is what should really excited Leeds, considering Sessegnon got a £25m move to Spurs last year.

Indeed, the future looks bright for Leeds at right-back, but let's not forget who they have coming through at left-back as well.

20-year-old ace Leif Davis is still developing and his prospects look to be fantastic as he has previously been linked to Liverpool and compared to Gareth Bale.

Full-backs are so vital to the modern game, just look at Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson at Liverpool who put up 25 league assists between them this term, and if Leeds can build a squad with Drameh and Davis as two key men down each flank, they could have one of the best partnerships in the country.

A left-back compared to Bale and a right-back compared to a man often touted as the next Bale spells danger for any opposition at Elland Road, and the best part of this is that this could realistically be United's full-back pairing for the next decade, with both players being under the age of 21.

Of course, Leeds may have a job on their hands keeping hold of the pair in the coming years with Liverpool and City both being keen in the past, but if they can form this partnership and keep them both at the club for a long time, there's no reason why United can't have two of the most threatening attacking full-backs in the division.

https://www.footballfancast.com/leeds-united-transfer-rumours/cody-drameh-and-leif-davis-could-form-a-deadly-duo

WhiteJC

Fulham, Southampton and the ideal clubs for Tottenham's Oliver Skipp to join on loan next season

Oliver Skipp is believed to be keen on a loan move next season so that he can feature regularly

Oliver Skipp could be one of the players to head out of the exit door at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium before the summer transfer deadline in October.

Making 11 appearances for the Lilywhites over the course of the 2019/20 season, the talented midfielder is believed to be keen on leaving on loan to help take his game to the next level.

Tottenham are well stocked in terms of midfielders in N17, with Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg set to knock the academy ace down the pecking order once he seals his summer move from Southampton.

Jose Mourinho rates Skipp extremely highly and even claimed that he can be a "future captain" at Spurs when discussing the long-term deal the 19-year-old signed last month.

"I'm really happy," said the head coach on the player's new contract. "Everybody in the club is, his team-mates are, I am and Skippy is or not he wouldn't sign the contract.

"I think he's genuinely Tottenham's future. He's one of these players by human quality, by personality, he is one of these kids that I have no doubt he will be an important player for Tottenham.

"Sometimes coaches are selfish and I told him that. I never told him I want him to go on loan, I always told him I wanted him to stay here, because that's the selfish perspective of a coach who wants the best possible squad. In his mind he wants to go on loan, six months, the whole season.

"He feels that he needs that, I also feel that would be good for his evolution, so maybe that is the direction we go.

"I think he can be more than a player, he can be a future captain here. Hugo, Harry. I see this kid being one day a future captain here by his character, by his personality. I feel really happy that he signed."

One thing for sure next season is that Skipp needs to be playing a lot more regularly if he is to fulfil his potential at Tottenham.

Given there will be plenty of interest in the youngster if he is put up for loan, we at football.london have decided to take a look at the clubs who would benefit from his addition this summer.

Fulham

The newly promoted side are believed to be leading the race to sign the midfielder on loan for next season.

The clubs are well known to each other having traded a number of players in the past, including Mousa Dembele, Clint Dempsey and Ryan Sessegnon.

What would also be appealing to Mourinho and his coaching staff is that Fulham boss Scott Parker knows the player well from his time coaching Spurs' youngsters before he returned to Craven Cottage in July 2018.

Skipp would have the ideal man in Parker to learn off given his successful playing career.

Southampton

Southampton are going to be light in the middle next season with Hojbjerg on the verge of moving to Spurs.

Following the success of Kyle Walker-Peters' loan move to St Mary's, which is going to be made permanent, Ralph Hasenhuttl may want another one of Tottenham's young players to take on a temporary deal.

Skipp would get game time on the south coast and Spurs would no doubt fancy sending him there given Walker-Peters has come on in leaps and bounds.

Brighton & Hove Albion

Brighton have already been busy in the transfer market this summer with the additions of Adam Lallana and Joel Veltman.

Graham Potter is starting to put together a decent side at The Amex and he is trying to play football the right way as they bid to stay in the top flight for years to come.

Skipp would be an excellent addition to Potter's Brighton side and he would get the necessary minutes that Spurs require.

West Brom

West Brom are back in the top flight after two seasons away following a nervy finish to the league side.

The Baggies are going to need to strengthen if they want to avoid an immediate return to the Championship and Slaven Bilic will no doubt look to add to his midfield.

Just as is the case with the aforementioned clubs, a club such as West Brom may be a good place for him to develop as he would be given time on the pitch.

Norwich City

Could Skipp perhaps be offered on loan as part of a deal for Max Aarons this summer if Spurs decide to move for the Norwich City right-back?

While the one negative of a move to the Canaries would be no Premier League football, he would be playing regularly at the top end of the Championship.

Daniel Farke's team play an entertaining brand of football and Skipp would be pivotal to that in a midfield role.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/players/oliver-skipp-tottenham-loan-move-18740564

WhiteJC

He's nicknamed Virgil van Mike, has played for 17 CLUBS in 11 years across non-League, Ireland and Germany and now finally has a chance in the big time with Fulham... the bizarre career of serial loanee Michael Hector

Michael Hector thought his Premier League dream would come true at Chelsea
    Hector joined Blues from Reading in 2015 but he never played in the top flight
    Since 2009, the 28-year-old has played for 17 clubs and only now is he settled
    He has been key in Fulham returning to the top tier after relegation last year

When Michael Hector joined Chelsea - the club he supported as a boy - in 2015 he thought his dream of playing Premier League football would come true.

By then, his career had spanned six years and in that time as a Reading player he had been sent out on loan a total of 11 times to clubs as low as Bracknell Town in the eighth tier of English football and as far afield as Dundalk in Ireland.

His move to Stamford Bridge came a couple of months after his 23rd birthday. It was sanctioned by Jose Mourinho, who had just won his third Premier League title in charge of Chelsea.

Michael Hector (right) celebrates winning promotion with Fulham alongside Josh Onomah

After 17 clubs in 11 years, Hector can finally look forward to realising his Premier League dream

'That evening, the day before the deadline, my dad [Pat, a former county cricketer for Essex] left the room to take a call,' Hector said. 'He came back and said: "You'll never guess who that was." It was [Michael] Emenalo, who was Chelsea's technical director at the time, saying they wanted me.

'Once I'd worked out he wasn't winding me up, that was that. I'd turn down any club in the world to join Chelsea. It was an absolute no-brainer for me and my family.'

Although he went back on loan to Reading for the rest of the Championship campaign that year with the expectation of working his way into the Chelsea first-team, when Hector returned at the end of April the picture was very different.

Guus Hiddink was about to be replaced by Antonio Conte and Hector found himself back on the loan list.

Hector signed for his boyhood club Chelsea in 2015 and thought he had got his big break

He got time in pre-season matches but wasn't given a chance in competitive fixtures

'The closest I came was 2016 when they gave me the No 30 shirt in pre-season,' he said. 'Then David Luiz signed and took the number, and I went on loan.'

A season at Eintracht Frankfurt, where he played in a German Cup final, was followed by a year battling relegation with Hull before a spell at Sheffield Wednesday where he was named the club's player of the year.

It was following the 2018-19 campaign at Wednesday – and a total of 237 league appearances out on loan since 2009 – that Hector, aged 27, decided enough was enough.

Fulham, hurting after relegation but needing to rebuild, particularly in defence, offered £8million for Hector and Chelsea accepted.

One of his many loans was at Eintracht Frankfurt where he played in a German Cup final

One of Hector's moves saw him feature in a Hull side that battled relegation two years ago

The deal came after the transfer deadline and therefore meant he couldn't be registered to play, but Hector, rather than go out on loan before joining Fulham in January this year, was allowed to train with Scott Parker's side.

'It was an easy decision to make,' Hector said at the time, adding that the move also made some of his family, notably his Fulham-mad mum, happy.

Those behind the scenes at Fulham note how getting him in the building months before he was able to play was a crucial move and one that helped Parker communicate a more upbeat message following the disappointment of that dismal relegation season.

Hector has helped Fulham manager Scott Parker get his message across to his players

Training without the commitment of playing matches also allowed the defender to train for his UEFA B licence, something that was encouraged by the backroom staff at Craven Cottage.

On joining, Hector added: 'It's good to now be a part of the setup here. Hopefully things can work out well and we can get promoted.

'I know how tough the Championship is and it won't be any different for us.

'We'll have to work hard for it but the squad is very good and my job will be to help them push for promotion.'

MICHAEL HECTOR'S INCREDIBLE 17-CLUB FOOTBALLING CV

Reading (2009-2015)

Bracknell Town (loan - 2009)

Didcot Town (loan - 2009)

Havant and Waterlooville (loan - 2010)

Oxford City (loan - 2010)

Horsham (loan - 2010-11)

Dundalk (loan - 2011)

Barnet (loan - 2011-12)

Shrewsbury (loan - 2012)

Aldershot (loan - 2012-13)

Cheltenham (loan - 2013)

Aberdeen (loan - 2013-14)

Chelsea (2015-19)

Reading (loan - 2015-16)

Eintracht Frankfurt (loan - 2016-17)

Hull (loan - 2017-18)

Sheffield Wednesday (loan - 2018-19)

Fulham (2020-present)

And while Tuesday night under the Wembley lights was a tense affair, Fulham got the job done and Hector got his wish of promotion.

'It's my dream. Something I have strived to do all my career,' he said.

His performances since January have led him to be named 'Virgil van Mike' by his team-mates.

A commanding and composed presence at centre back, Hector's intelligence and ability to organise a defence has given Fulham a confidence at the back which they so badly lacked when they were last in the Premier League.

Hector has made 25 appearances since January and 11 of those also ended with clean sheets. Before his arrival, Fulham had conceded in 20 of their 27 games.

Indeed, other than nullifying the threat of Brentford's attacking force in the Championship play-off final, Hector's biggest contribution was in the first leg of their play-off semi-final against Cardiff.

Hector has proved to be a commanding and composed presence in Fulham's central defence

At 0-0, he did excellently to slide in and deny Robert Glatzel from tapping in after Fulham goalkeeper Marek Rodak pushed Leandro Bacuna's effort into the Cardiff striker's path.

It is the sort of moment that is easily forgotten but it was the sort of decisive action and never-say-die attitude that has helped propel Parker's side to where they are now despite the hurt of last season and this one taking so long to reach its conclusion.

And if there was one positive of the season ending as late as it has, Hector doesn't have long to wait until that first Premier League appearance.

But perhaps more than that, though, he is now, finally, settled at a club. No longer is there a concern that the phone will ring and his and his family's life will be uprooted for the 18th time in 11 years.

'Having been on so many loans before, I feel I have found my home at Fulham,' he said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8596575/The-bizarre-career-serial-loanee-Michael-Hector-home-Fulham.html

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic sends personal message as Fulham secure immediate Premier League return

Fulham's star man Aleksandr Mitrovic has finally broken his social media silence following the club's promotion back to the Premier League on Tuesday evening.

The Serbian won the Championship's golden boot after netting 26 goals but had to wait until the very end of their clash with Brentford at Wembley to take part in the play-off campaign.

Taking to Instagram on Saturday, he was clearly delighted with the result and how the season had panned out on the whole.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDn_ZR9Hi9j/?utm_source=ig_embed

After edging past Cardiff City in the semi-finals, Fulham were the slight underdogs against a Brentford side who had beaten the Whites twice already and were prone to blowing teams away.

However, manager Scott Parker got his tactics spot on and managed to completely nullify that threat.

Joe Bryan, of all people, scored twice from left-back in extra-time to put the Whites 2-0 in front before Henrik Dalsgaard headed in a late consolation for The Bees.

Fulham will be hoping for more success in the top-flight this time around. They managed just one season in the top-tier after their last promotion in 2018, although Mitrovic still managed to show his class, netting ten times.

The verdict

One of the biggest perks of this Fulham promotion is undoubtedly that it will almost certainly result in Mitrovic remaining at Craven Cottage.

He is said to be very settled in West London but after a stunning season, how happy he would have been to keep playing in the Championship was a cause for concern around the club.

But there is no need to worry about that now. Scott Parker now has to focus on building a team that can get the very best out of the Serbian.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/aleksandar-mitrovic-sends-personal-message-as-fulham-secure-immediate-premier-league-return/

WhiteJC

Despite Fulham interest, Southampton would be quite wise to hold onto their 25-year-old ace this summer

Why Southampton should keep hold of Harrison Reed

According to Evening Standard, Fulham are interested in signing Southampton midfielder Harrison Reed on a permanent basis ahead of the new campaign.

Reed, 25, rose through the ranks at St. Mary's and was promoted to club's senior set-up in August 2013. In four years for Southampton, he could make only 30 appearances and spent the rest of his Saints career on loan spells. He played for Norwich City and Blackburn in the Championship before joining Fulham on loan last summer.

Though he initially struggled with a calf injury, Reed played a key role in helping the Cottagers get promoted to the top-flight this term. He was one of the most influential figures in the second half of the campaign under Scott Parker and seems to have improved a lot. Thus, Southampton should avoid selling him on a permanent basis.

The Saints, meanwhile, have been one of the best sides in the second half of the Premier League as they managed to finish 11th in the league standings. Despite hovering around the relegation zone for the majority of the 2019/20 campaign, Ralph Hasenhuttl did an excellent job to help them to a respectable finish.

However, with the new season approaching in a few weeks' time, the manager should look to strengthen his squad to do better right from the start. They are capable of finishing in the top half of the table and should be able to challenge that.

Reed could keep Southampton's depth intact in midfield

At the moment, there are only three defensive midfielders available at the manager's disposal. Mario Lemina joined Southampton back in August 2017 but he hasn't claimed the spot for himself yet. He was sent on loan to Galatasaray last summer but could make only 20 league appearances for the Turkish outfit and his consistency has been a major concern.

Spaniard Oriol Romeu is another defensive midfielder in the squad but he has also not been at his best. He was just given bit-part roles for the majority of the campaign. Moreover, Romeu has just one more year left on his contract and his departure next summer could leave them with limited options. Thus, keeping hold of Reed would be a wise decision by the club.

The 25-year-old has proved himself in the Championship with Fulham this season and was also a key player in his last two seasons for the clubs he played for. Despite struggling with injuries, Reed has been in good nick since his return.

Keeping him would help the Saints maintain their depth in midfield as Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg is on the verge of an exit, as per BBC. Given his good run of form, the manager should hand him the right opportunities and Reed could help them in their future endeavours.

Verdict

At 25, the Worthing-born midfielder is in the form of his life and has already proved his mettle in the Championship in the last few years. And allowing him to leave permanently would also cost Southampton a lot if they go in search of another defensive midfielder. Thus, they should keep hold of Reed by extending his contract with the club.

https://www.mediareferee.com/2020/08/09/why-southampton-should-keep-hold-of-harrison-reed/

WhiteJC

Fulham fancy Ampadu loan deal

Fulham are the favourites to sign versatile Chelsea youngster Ethan Ampadu on loan, according to a report from the Athletic tonight.

Norwich City made an audacious bid to land the Welsh international on loan as they begin their preparations for life in the Championship, but Chelsea are keen for the teenager to play top flight football if at all possible. Ampadu, who has made a bright start to life at Stamford Bridge after making an eye-catching breakthrough at Exeter City, endured a frustrating spell on loan at RB Leipzig, where he made just three league appearances and was sidelined by a back problem.

Ampadu has made twelve senior appearances for Chelsea, but has just one league appearance to his name – when he came off the bench against Huddersfield three years ago. Equally at home in central defence or as a holding midfielder, the ball-playing talent could provide cover in critical positions for Scott Parker as looks to give his squad the sort of depth necessary to be competitive in the Premier League.

Ampadu has enjoyed a meteoric rise since becoming Exeter's youngest ever player – and winning man of the match – when he starred against Brentford aged just fifteen in August 2016. He made eight senior appearances for the Grecians before joining Chelsea the following July, with a tribunal eventually setting the fee at around £85,000. He signed a five-year contract with the Blues in September 2018 and, whilst Frank Lampard rates Ampadu's potential as extremely high, he is understood to consider another loan opportunity as best for the defender's development.

Ampadu, whose father Kwame also played for Exeter, has won thirteen senior caps for Wales, having made his debut as a substitute against France in November 2017. Turkish side Trabzonspor, who appointed the former Chelsea midfielder and assistant coach Eddie Newton as their permanent boss last week, are reportedly keen on offering Amapdu another foreign loan.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/08/fulham-fancy-ampadu-loan-deal/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Post Match Show: The Championship Final Victory For Fulham

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This was a very fun episode as we looked back at the Fulham victory in the Championship Final. On the show was Scott Tanfield from Friends Of Fulham, Emilio Di Nello, Clare Parish, Max Cohen, Russ Goldman and Fulham legends Gordon Davies and Robert Wilson.

You can also listen to this episode by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2020/8/9/21361088/cottage-talk-post-match-show-the-championship-final-victory-for-fulham

WhiteJC

Chelsea ace Ethan Ampadu set to join Premier League neighbours
Chelsea want Ethan Ampadu to gain more experience but on this occasion, it looks set to be in the Premier League.

Chelsea are reportedly ready to send Ethan Ampadu out on loan to newly promoted Fulham next season. Ampadu spent the 2019/2020 season with RB Leipzig in the Bundesliga.

However, he made just seven appearances under Julian Nagelsmann to the frustration of Chelsea.

Manager Frank Lampard is understood to be a fan of Ampadu but with the competition in defence and midfield high, the likelihood of regular appearances at Chelsea next season are slim.

It means the Blues have been considering their options over where to send Ampadu next.

And reports suggest Lampard will be able to keep a very close eye on Ampadu on his latest move.

According to the Athletic, west London neighbours Fulham have seen off the competition from Norwich and are close to an agreement for Empadu.

The Cottagers are aiming to bring in around five new faces to help them avoid immediate relegation back to the Championship.

Scott Parker and Lampard were team-mates for Chelsea and England and their relationship could have played a role in the deal.

Meanwhile, Tammy Abraham says he is determined to build on a decent season for Chelsea when the 2020/21 campaign gets underway.

The striker scored his 18th goal of the season on Saturday as Chelsea lost 4-1 to Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

After the resumption of the season, Lampard favoured Olivier Giroud as his starting striker over Abraham.

And the signing of Timo Werner has added more competition for places.

But Abraham insists he welcomes the fight that will come from Giroud and Werner.

"It's been a phenomenal season for myself and the lads," he told chelseafc.com.

"I couldn't have asked for a better season. I have had a few niggles here and there, but I have come out stronger and now I have to build myself for next season and start well and end well. That's my aim. I have to raise my bar and go again.

"This is Chelsea Football Club. There is always going to be high standards and competition. I have to fight for my spot, it's never going to come easy.

"It never came easy at the start of this season, but I worked my way into the team and that's what I have got to keep doing."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1320748/Chelsea-transfer-news-Ethan-Ampadu-Premier-League-Fulham-gossip-rumours

WhiteJC

Why Chelsea Youngster Ethan Ampadu is in Demand

Ethan Ampadu is likely to join Fulham on loan from parent club Chelsea, according to Michael Bailey of The Athletic.

The Wales international was previously a loan target for Daniel Farke's Norwich City ahead of next season. However, following the Canaries' relegation from the Premier League, Chelsea are expected to loan the 19-year-old to fellow London club Fulham after Scott Parker led the Cottagers back into the top flight.

Ethan Ampadu Expected to Join Fulham
Why Ampadu is a Player in Demand
The Exeter-born Welshman is a player Chelsea will be keeping a keen eye on as he continues his development.

Primarily seen as a defensive-midfielder, Ampadu is also capable of operating as a centre-back. Both of these roles are areas Chelsea will need to strengthen in the near future.

In midfield, N'Golo Kante has had his share of injury problems this season, and the club are open to offers for former-Napoli man Jorginho this summer.

Defensively, Frank Lampard is yet to settle on a preferred centre-back pairing, and no other club in the top half of the Premier League conceded as many goals as Chelsea this season. Their 14 goals conceded in the Champions League in 2019/20 was also an unwanted new record. Overall, the Blues have conceded 79 goals in 55 games across all competitions this season.

Having a perceived utility player like Ampadu to call upon further down the line will, therefore, be an important option for Lampard to have. As such, the club are keen to give the player more top-flight experience next season and will look to loan him to a fellow Premier League side if they can.

Ampadu has already racked up 13 appearances for Wales but has found opportunities at club level harder to come by. He spent the 2019/20 season on loan at German club RB Leipzig, but only made three appearances for the Bundesliga side.

Lampard's Chelsea Still Very Much a Work in Progress
Following Chelsea's 7-1 aggregate defeat by Bayern Munich in the Champions League last-16, Frank Lampard was quick to point out that his side are in a transition period that is heading in the right direction.

As a player, Lampard was a three-time Premier League champion and a Champions League winner with Chelsea, and he knows the Blues are currently way off reaching the levels seen in his playing days.

"It's not a slight work in progress, it is a work in progress. It is not the norm for Chelsea. In the last 20 years we had players, teams with prime [Eden] Hazard and [Diego] Costa, prime [Petr] Cech, [John] Terry and [Didier] Drogba. Competing for the Premier League title year on year, getting to finals and semi-finals regularly. We know that's not the case [now]," the manager told BT Sport.

"We lost the best player in the league pretty much in Eden Hazard. People would not normally commend coming fourth for Chelsea, we want more but the feeling is we have achieved something with the group we have. Now is the time to think where we can improve."

Chelsea have signed attacking duo Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner so far this summer. The club also remain in talks with Bayer Leverkusen over the transfer of highly-rated German international Kai Havertz.

https://lastwordonfootball.com/2020/08/10/why-chelsea-youngster-ethan-ampadu-is-in-demand/

WhiteJC

Fulham loan 'likely' for Ethan Ampadu after Norwich City option falls through the Moon Door — report

Ethan Ampadu in search of minutes

Ethan Ampadu took a bold step last summer by joining RB Leipzig on loan. It was a decision as ambitious as it was risky, and unfortunately, it didn't really pay off — shades of Nathaniel Chalobah's loan to Napoli back in 2015-16, with Ampadu just barely seeing more action (277 minutes) than the now Watford midfielder did during that season (231 minutes).

While there is some value in such experiences, there is no substitute for actual playing time. And considering how little Ampadu played the season before under Sarri at Chelsea (less 300 minutes, to go with a little over 500 with the Development Squad), he's very much in need of a better arrangement next season — by which time he will have turned 20.

Apparently, some moves in the background were already being made along those lines, but were scuppered by Norwich City's relegation to the Championship. Commensurate with his talent, Chelsea are hoping to arrange a Premier League loan, and the ideal candidate for that has just confirmed their participation for next season.

But, as pointed out by @chelseayouth, a move next door to Fulham, even if they're willing, isn't without similar risks as Leipzig. The Cottagers will be prioritizing survival rather than player development. And while every loan move carries with it that inherent risk, we can try to minimize it by placing him at a team like Swansea City, where manager Steve Cooper has already proven his willingness to play loanees (Conor Gallagher, Marc Guehi last season) even as they pushed for promotion from the Championship.

A loan to the second division may be seen as a step back, but if Ampadu plays a lot, it will prove more beneficial for his career than sitting on a Premier League bench.

As always, these decisions are not easy or simple. Good luck to us, and good luck to Ethan, who's hopefully past his nagging injury issues as well.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2020/8/10/21361518/fulham-loan-likely-for-ethan-ampadu-after-norwich-city-option-falls-through-the-moon-door-report