watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Newspaper Article on Strikers

Started by Steven Ageroad, August 12, 2020, 03:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Ageroad

This is the start of an article on Anthony Martial the Manchester United striker which appeared in todays i newspaper. The article starts with the following 2 paragraphs;

"The days of the archetypal No.9 are long gone. Referees, on the whole, have become wise to the Alan Shearer method of gaining that additional minor advantage - a little nudge here, a leap into the air, elbows first, there.
Harry Kane and Sergio Aguero tick many of the old - fashioned striker style boxes, WHILE THE MOST PHYSICAL OF THE LOT, ONE WHOSE DIRTY TRICKS HAVE NOT DESERTED HIM, IS FULHAM'S ALEKSANDAR MITROVIC." 

Is this how other people see him? He's not that bad surely?

Tabby

Mitrovic isn't averse to a bit of shithousery. Not like Aguero or Kane are bad company to be compared to as a striker.

wheelerdeeler

The best comparison I've always had for Mitrovic is Diego Costa. Love him if he's playing for you, hate him if he's playing against you. Complete handful, very physical, while he's definitely calmed down with us he still plays on the edge sometimes. And most importantly scores goals pretty consistently.

Neil D

As Roosevelt said of the Nicaraguan dictator, Somoza:'He may be an SoB but he's our SoB'.

filham

An article like that should add a million or so to Mitro's transfer value.
Bet the writer never watched Bobby Smith of Spurs and England, there was a good old fashioned number nine.

General

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on August 12, 2020, 03:59:13 PM
This is the start of an article on Anthony Martial the Manchester United striker which appeared in todays i newspaper. The article starts with the following 2 paragraphs;

"The days of the archetypal No.9 are long gone. Referees, on the whole, have become wise to the Alan Shearer method of gaining that additional minor advantage - a little nudge here, a leap into the air, elbows first, there.
Harry Kane and Sergio Aguero tick many of the old - fashioned striker style boxes, WHILE THE MOST PHYSICAL OF THE LOT, ONE WHOSE DIRTY TRICKS HAVE NOT DESERTED HIM, IS FULHAM'S ALEKSANDAR MITROVIC." 

He's definitely a lot calmer than that in my opinion. I think the thing that may have triggered a comment like that is in the final few games of the season he obviously got carded and then against Brentford pushed Marcondes over quite forcefully. aside from those  instances I think he's calmed down a lot, and, whilst he does still nudge and tug etc, it's a lot more subtle and a way which is very professional.

sunburywhite

And of course all center halves are God fearing Christians who still live with their mummy
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

The Rational Fan

Quote from: sunburywhite on August 12, 2020, 04:57:13 PM
And of course all center halves are God fearing Christians who still live with their mummy

Of course, just like John Terry.

Woolly Mammoth

I like Mitro exactly how he is, he gives defenders a taste of their own medicine.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rebel

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 13, 2020, 01:33:51 AM
I like Mitro exactly how he is, he gives defenders a taste of their own medicine.

Agree 100%.  He probably gets more, then he dishes out. He has a lot of quality too, but critical of his 'misses'. Don't respond with 'what has she done'.   

Luka

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on August 12, 2020, 03:59:13 PM

Yep I think that about sums him up and why in another post I question how he will cope under the scrutiny of VAR.
Though to quote him as being from the same mould at Kane and especially Aguero does beg questions over the writers sanity !!

ALG01

what nonsense is that.
Maybe all the author has seen is the leeds and Brentford clips.
Mitro is a tough guy but compared to the defenders he faces week in week out he is very restrained.

Dougie

I read the Championship sub on Reddit a lot and can confirm yes, they see Mitrovic as a dirty see-you-next-tuesday who will apparently get his comeuppance from the VAR.