watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do we do it deliberately ?

Started by Enfield, August 15, 2020, 11:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enfield

Two promotions in three years the hard way. Each time just one more win would have ensured automatic promotion. Although close, our goal was never really troubled in both games, and we played both times as if we were certain we would win(even with 10 men).

Is it done intentionally ?

Andy S

In such important games it is essential that you do not lose. From that position anything can happen. We do not understand how much pressure the players must be under and how it affects their game. I am just grateful that the results have gone the right way. Brentford are still smarting from defeat

rebel

Quote from: Enfield on August 15, 2020, 11:15:40 PM
Two promotions in three years the hard way. Each time just one more win would have ensured automatic promotion. Although close, our goal was never really troubled in both games, and we played both times as if we were certain we would win(even with 10 men).

You need to look at the Khan's and senior management for answers, we shouldn't have been relegated from the Prem after Khan took over. Huge mistakes were made, they never learnt from them. Just because you get £140m, doesn't mean you have to spend it. It reminds me of Liverpool over the last 15 years, their fans expect 'transfers', even though they might be doing great on the pitch.

The Old Count

Quote from: rebel on August 16, 2020, 07:50:17 AM

You need to look at the Khan's and senior management for answers, we shouldn't have been relegated from the Prem after Khan took over. Huge mistakes were made, they never learnt from them. Just because you get £140m, doesn't mean you have to spend it. It reminds me of Liverpool over the last 15 years, their fans expect 'transfers', even though they might be doing great on the pitch.
With
I don't think one can lump all the blame on the Khan's. MAF had been setting up the club for sale the process of which damaged the team. Yes the Khan's lacked experience but the seeds of our relegation were sown before they took over.

rebel

Quote from: The Old Count on August 16, 2020, 08:07:50 AM
Quote from: rebel on August 16, 2020, 07:50:17 AM

With
I don't think one can lump all the blame on the Khan's. MAF had been setting up the club for sale the process of which damaged the team. Yes the Khan's lacked experience but the seeds of our relegation were sown before they took over.

There was a 'resident CEO' in place, a very experienced CEO, he had been CEO at Man City. So MAF had to do what he had to do, but the 3 managers x 2 relegation seasons says it all. I doubt any Fulham fan who knows a bit about football, would have made any of those decisions. Bringing in Curblishly as Director of Football, bringing in Magath etc.

The Old Count

The resident CEO also shares some of the blame as do some others.
I agree that the Khan's lacked experience, showed bad judgement and made some poor decisions. However the writing was on the wall for us when Jol arrived.
It's also worth bearing in mind that had they known a lot about football it's unlikely they'd have stumped up 200 odd million to buy the club in the first place.
Once again, not all of the blame can be placed on our current owner.

rebel

Quote from: The Old Count on August 16, 2020, 09:32:08 AM
I agree that the Khan's lacked experience, showed bad judgement and made some poor decisions. However the writing was on the wall for us when Jol arrived.
It's also worth bearing in mind that had they known a lot about football it's unlikely they'd have stumped up 200 odd million to buy the club in the first place.

They knew about American Football being owners of the Jaguars, not football as we know it. Yes they knew about the MSL, the US National Team. But the Prem is totally different.

The Old Count

Quote from: rebel on August 16, 2020, 09:55:22 AM

They knew about American Football being owners of the Jaguars, not football as we know it. Yes they knew about the MSL, the US National Team. But the Prem is totally different.
I'm not even sure that initially, they fully understood the concept of relegation / promotion.

hovewhite

Alfayed was a great salesman and Khan was a natural buyer!

The Old Count

Quote from: hovewhite on August 16, 2020, 10:30:22 AM
Alfayed was a great salesman and Khan was a natural buyer!
Very true.

filham

To answer the OP question, no of course we haven't targeted the play offs. No one would take such a risk or put players ,staff and fans through such an emotional turmoil.
Automatic promotion has to be the target and in each of the last two promotion seasons we were so, so close to it. Make no mistake this promotion was hard earned and due credit is due to the managers and the players.

Important now that Scott Parker and TK work closely together to develop the team into one that can win 40 points in 38 Premier League games. Please let the two of them work well together,  we really can't afford another Stats. V Coach division that we believe may have existed two years ago.

rebel

Quote from: The Old Count on August 16, 2020, 10:16:27 AM

I'm not even sure that initially, they fully understood the concept of relegation / promotion.

I agree they probably thought it a strange concept. Especially as we had established ourselves in the Prem.

toshes mate

You do not need statistical genius to know it is harder to come first or second in a race between twenty four opponents than it is to be in the top six.  Even with a willing and wealthy owner there has to a strategy whereby as a Club you present as an attraction to almost anyone and everyone.  MAF may have been marginally better at that than many an FFC owner in our past.  I think MAF meant his purchase of FFC to be as successful as he could make it in much the same way as he sought to be a British citizen by whatever means he could.  He got a fair way up the grades before his desires subsided.

For the Khans it is a very different saga and there have been many differing facets to their interest.  But, results wise they have turned a corner in the past few years.  Let's hope they get it absolutely right this time around and play the cautious and sensible game of surviving the first season back in the PL.  The first thing to do is to ensure all decisions meet with universal approval around those that matter within the Club especially coaches and players and that we attract enough of  the right stuff to us to get it right.

bill taylors apprentice

The Fulhamish thing to do would have been to just miss out on automatic promotion after raising all our expectations during the regular season.
Then show good form in the playoffs only to throw it away in some bizarre fashion in the final.

In fact in both finals we not only scored great goals, we dug in hard, managed the games and made the 'professional fouls' when needed, very un Fulham like.

Its a shame we resorted to Fulhamish ways by spending a fortune after the first promotion and actually ended up with a worse team but now who knows?

I Ronic

To be fair there's probably only about 40 odd owners who know what it's like to own a Premiership Club. So it's a very exclusive club.