https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Pique? Can't be true....

Started by Black, White and Fred, August 19, 2020, 10:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on August 20, 2020, 07:47:24 AM
It's true according to "Exchange n Mart"
Barca are skint,so it's a straight swap for some of our old nets and corner flags,boots and training gear.
Coyw🤡

and Sir Craven of Cottage.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

snarks

Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 20, 2020, 07:52:43 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 20, 2020, 02:21:51 AM
Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 20, 2020, 01:20:04 AM
That's a ton of money for cover for Tim Ream.

Gerard Piqué is cover for Tim Ream, wow. If Ream can keep Piqué on the bench, then my eyes deceive me.

Only one of them has significant Prem experience. Just saying.

You're right Man Utd don't have much prem experience, seriously though pique hasn't played in it for 12 years but champions league against the best strikers in the world might count for something. Don't think it will happen tho' as I'm not convinced a signing like that would help the team camaraderie that Scotty has built

Denver Fulham

Quote from: snarks on August 20, 2020, 08:03:30 AM
Gerard Piqué is cover for Tim Ream, wow. If Ream can keep Piqué on the bench, then my eyes deceive me.

You're right Man Utd don't have much prem experience, seriously though pique hasn't played in it for 12 years but champions league against the best strikers in the world might count for something. Don't think it will happen tho' as I'm not convinced a signing like that would help the team camaraderie that Scotty has built

Guys, I'm not seriously suggesting that Tim Ream would start over Gerard freaking Pique.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: rebel on August 20, 2020, 07:31:45 AM
Stranger things have happened in football. The Khan's want to stay up, the defence is the priority, so it's like 'a statement of intent', we are going to get that right this time.

He's on £220k per week. If we pay £95k per week, Barca pay the rest, then it could work. They can afford it.

A back five of Rodak, M.Cash, G.Pique, M.Hector, and J.Bryan would make every player in front of it look good.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 20, 2020, 08:19:20 AM
Stranger things have happened in football. The Khan's want to stay up, the defence is the priority, so it's like 'a statement of intent', we are going to get that right this time.

He's on £220k per week. If we pay £95k per week, Barca pay the rest, then it could work. They can afford it.

A back five of Rodak, M.Cash, G.Pique, M.Hector, and J.Bryan would make every player in front of it look good.

That is the kind of back line we need with plenty of height in the centre and RB.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

Quote from: Statto on August 19, 2020, 11:44:09 PM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on August 19, 2020, 10:19:36 PM
I really hope not (obviously it won't happen, I mean more that we've looked/had any interest) otherwise it would indicate that we've given TK too much credit and he hasn't actually learned from his mistakes...

Why?
I'm one of those who doesn't think we should breaking our wage structure for Robinson, or relying on an aging Babel, but I don't think either of those compare to Pique, who's genuinely at least two entire levels of class above anyone else in our team and plays in a position where you can still generally do a good job at his age
:plus one:
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

alfie

One thing I think we need to note, apparently this news came from the Sun via a Peruvian publication.
It may well be true, but then.......
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ByTheRiver

I really hope not (obviously it won't happen, I mean more that we've looked/had any interest) otherwise it would indicate that we've given TK too much credit and he hasn't actually learned from his mistakes...

Why?
I'm one of those who doesn't think we should breaking our wage structure for Robinson, or relying on an aging Babel, but I don't think either of those compare to Pique, who's genuinely at least two entire levels of class above anyone else in our team and plays in a position where you can still generally do a good job at his age

Why, well it's the last part of your view that we disagree on. Is he still? He's looked very flat footed and off the pace this season whenever I've seen him (I watch a fair few Barca games as they're a bit of a second team). I guess my main concerns are these two:

Motivation. He's won everything in the game and played in what will probably go down as THE great side of the modern era. Why would he want to end his career in a struggling team in the most physically demanding league in the world?

Defending. Now, yes, he's has an unbelievable career, but he's very much a Rolls Royce defender whose best attributes are with the ball at his feet rather than defending. He's spent his entire career (Utd was as a youth but can include that also if you want) at a side that dominates the league but dominates possession like no other. So, in a way, similar (obviously much better version) to Ream under SJ. How will he cope (and motivation/mentality) in a side that is clinging on and constantly under threat with minimal possession?

Even though it's less sexy, I'd sooner an old head, average level, defend first PL CB came in.

Big name players past their best who's motivation will be questionable is a mistake Tony has made before. More than once.

It's all opinions though, you may well be a right. And I can't pretend a little bit of me wouldn't be excited to see him at our little old club. I worry about his pace me next to Hector too (neither particularly fast). Also, if we were to go down we are back to square one (or in massive trouble due to wages).

KilianG

Barça has a really big wage pay bill, I don't think they will do that but desperate times call for desperate measures, the chairman need to have clean books at march or he will have to compensate the losses with his own money, at least part of it, so if the Khan play their cards right, it's not as impossible as some people is saying

KilianG

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 20, 2020, 07:54:35 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on August 20, 2020, 07:47:24 AM
It's true according to "Exchange n Mart"
Barca are skint,so it's a straight swap for some of our old nets and corner flags,boots and training gear.
Coyw🤡

and Sir Craven of Cottage.

Throw Billy the Badger in and deal done

Now speaking seriously, FCB needs money, well the chairman needs money and Piqué is old, 40M would be a fair deal in my opinion, the thing here is the wage as he is making 300k€ and he has 2 years of contract with FCB so the one to convince here is Piqué, not FCB

Count Flapula

Why?

Fully agree on all counts.

Must admit I found it incredible people turning their nose up at a genuine world class CB joining Fulham. He's 33 not 38 - the likes of John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Jamie Carragher, Nemaja Vidic were still top PL performers at 33 and he is very much in that bracket quality wise. He's not had an injury ravaged career so unless misfortune strikes, he'll be here to play without doubt.

Who cares if he moves to live in London? He's not got a George Best / Paul Merson / Tony Adams-type rep for living badly off the pitch; he has more than proved he is a top class professional / lives the life / has an absolute champions winning mentality - you don't play over 500 games for Barca without it. If you don't think a signing like that will give our dressing room a lift / galvanise the players then think again.

That said, there is no way on God's green earth we would pay him £220k per week though - possibly £100k+ so he would either need to:
- Be subsidised by Barca;
- Accept that the London lifestyle / lure of the PL is on balance more attractive than moving to the Middle East / China (if the @rse hasn't completely fallen out of it there now) just to keep his wage levels at this stage in his career;
- Go elsewhere if he gets a better offer / stay at Barca

As much as i'd love to see him here, I think he'll end up doing the latter.

gang

Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 20, 2020, 08:18:18 AM
Quote from: snarks on August 20, 2020, 08:03:30 AM

Guys, I'm not seriously suggesting that Tim Ream would start over Gerard freaking Pique.

I think the answer was tongue in cheek too.

Twig

Well you made me laugh. Nice one.

KilianG

Quote from: Count Flapula on August 20, 2020, 10:13:38 AM

Why?

Must admit I found it incredible people turning their nose up at a genuine world class CB joining Fulham. He's 33 not 38 - the likes of John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Jamie Carragher, Nemaja Vidic were still top PL performers at 33 and he is very much in that bracket quality wise. He's not had an injury ravaged career so unless misfortune strikes, he'll be here to play without doubt.

Who cares if he moves to live in London? He's not got a George Best / Paul Merson / Tony Adams-type rep for living badly off the pitch; he has more than proved he is a top class professional / lives the life / has an absolute champions winning mentality - you don't play over 500 games for Barca without it. If you don't think a signing like that will give our dressing room a lift / galvanise the players then think again.

That said, there is no way on God's green earth we would pay him £220k per week though - possibly £100k+ so he would either need to:
- Be subsidised by Barca;
- Accept that the London lifestyle / lure of the PL is on balance more attractive than moving to the Middle East / China (if the @rse hasn't completely fallen out of it there now) just to keep his wage levels at this stage in his career;
- Go elsewhere if he gets a better offer / stay at Barca

As much as i'd love to see him here, I think he'll end up doing the latter.

I don't think he will go to China or Middle East, the MLS or the EPL are the logic choice, MLS because his wife works a lot in the states and it's closer to Colombia or EPL in a London team as this could work for his wife too plus London is closer to the states (probably she could record and stuff in there as she could in the states) and is close to BCN so he can visit the family, and he has kids who have grown here so probably it's a plus being close to Piqué's family rather than going away to Miami, NYC or LA

Anyway, this is more of Piqué's choice than FCB choice as they could really use the money from a transfer, the thing is if they would be willing to pay part of the wage for the first years, and to convince Piqué, we need to offer him a solid project to stay in the PL and probably be in Europe in the next few years, and this going to be really hard as I don't think we can offer that

hovewhite

No chance also no sell on value to TK,but think Babel could be a better bet .

Holders

Rumour or not, our interest has been piqued.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

FFCBadger

Rambler

Quote from: FFCBadger on August 20, 2020, 12:17:04 PM
£220k per week offered! I choose you, Pique-chu
https://tbrfootball.com/report-fulham-make-astonishing-offer-for-barcelona-star-gerard-pique/

Maybe I'm blind but I couldn't see the part saying we'd offered £220k per week.

ByTheRiver

Why?

The four defenders you mention is kind of my point. Though Rio was also a ball playing CB, they are all defence first. In terms of the other 3 defence only/old school type CB/battlers. Pique could be a great signing for someone like City who have the ball 80% of the time. That isn't us at the moment in the premiership. That's the mistake we made last time.

Learning the lessons of Sheff Utd isn't just keeping largely the same team, it's a battling mentality, from front to back battling and defending, meaning no one gets an easy game against them. Now as much as I love out captain, Cairney and Pique and Seri if he doesn't get moved on, don't exactly inspire confidence of doing the same.

And I'm not usually a blood and guts, passion merchant type like some others on this forum, but I think the tenacity and work rate has been one of the best points about SP and the side post lockdown. I just don't see Pique fitting that mould with nothing left to prove at this stage in his career!

I hope I'm wrong and he comes and is the ball playing old head that everyone looks up to and does wonderfully well. It's a fair ask though...

Sting of the North

Quote from: ByTheRiver on August 20, 2020, 12:27:50 PM

Why?

The four defenders you mention is kind of my point. Though Rio was also a ball playing CB, they are all defence first. In terms of the other 3 defence only/old school type CB/battlers. Pique could be a great signing for someone like City who have the ball 80% of the time. That isn't us at the moment in the premiership. That's the mistake we made last time.

Learning the lessons of Sheff Utd isn't just keeping largely the same team, it's a battling mentality, from front to back battling and defending, meaning no one gets an easy game against them. Now as much as I love out captain, Cairney and Pique and Seri if he doesn't get moved on, don't exactly inspire confidence of doing the same.

And I'm not usually a blood and guts, passion merchant type like some others on this forum, but I think the tenacity and work rate has been one of the best points about SP and the side post lockdown. I just don't see Pique fitting that mould with nothing left to prove at this stage in his career!

I hope I'm wrong and he comes and is the ball playing old head that everyone looks up to and does wonderfully well. It's a fair ask though...

Isn't one of the points here that Parker got the players playing that way (tenacity and work rate)? Including Cairney by the way, not sure why you had a slight dig at him in that department after the season gone. So why would he not be able to do it with other players? Not meaning Pique specifically, but in general.