https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Parker ball in the PL

Started by PossessionKings, August 20, 2020, 04:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PossessionKings

How much possession wil we average? I'm going with a conservative 52%

Andy S

Sorry but I couldn't care less I hope we do well and well to me is avoiding the drop at the end of the season

Lyle from Hangeland

Will be better than Slavisa ball. Not as fun to watch, but the score lines will be better, I think.

Bassey the warrior

We need to mix it up, possession football is all well and good against lower teams and teams like Burnley. Against the pacier teams and top 8 teams, we need to be willing to play on the counter.

In general we need to do more speedy attacks, not always but if the chance arises.

rebel

The problem with 'Parker Ball', is the ball can be passed back into our half, that increases the possibilties of losing the ball in dangerous areas, in essence we would be helping the opposition. There is a lot of 'pace & power', we need to use it.

bill taylors apprentice

Parker ball is as much about making the 'professional' foul when need be and denying the opposition room to play as it is about ball retention.

FFC In Oz

I'm actually a little worried that Parker's style of play won't translate that well to the Premiership given the substantially higher quality of opposition.

filham

We really will have to be more careful with that cross field passing just outside our own box, there were a few tight incidents last season and premier league players are going to be a shade sharper.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: filham on August 20, 2020, 06:38:59 PM
We really will have to be more careful with that cross field passing just outside our own box, there were a few tight incidents last season and premier league players are going to be a shade sharper.

Agreed.  Ream was one of the main culprits - Premier League players are sharper and will punish us

rebel

High tempo, we need to move the ball quicker, 'treacle passing' just won't work. Last time our players just wanted too much time, before they knew it, the ball was whipped away and the opposition mounted an attack. 

toshes mate

I think it would be hasty to conclude that what we saw from Parker in the PL last time and what we saw from his promotion winning Championship team do anything other than to suggest that he has a way of getting something extra from his players at critical times.  The PL situation by the time Ranieri was sacked was probably too far gone for anything other than a miracle to interfere with the writing that was on the wall almost immediately post Wembley, but he was able to get something extra for those crucial play off matches in the Championship.   At least he has a fair chance of getting players he really wants (judging from our latest recruit) and that will make a huge difference in the dressing room.

rebel

Quote from: toshes mate on August 20, 2020, 07:08:02 PM
I think it would be hasty to conclude that what we saw from Parker in the PL last time and what we saw from his promotion winning Championship team do anything other than to suggest that he has a way of getting something extra from his players at critical times.  The PL situation by the time Ranieri was sacked was probably too far gone for anything other than a miracle to interfere with the writing that was on the wall almost immediately post Wembley, but he was able to get something extra for those crucial play off matches in the Championship.   At least he has a fair chance of getting players he really wants (judging from our latest recruit) and that will make a huge difference in the dressing room.

The 'little bit extra' won't work in the Prem. We need the 100% from each player from match 1 through to match 38. The 'little bit extra' is when we're up against the wall have in given 100%, i.e. relegation trouble.

The Rational Fan

Scott Parker has won three of his last five games in the premier league with clean sheets. If Parker can win five and draws four of his first nineteen games this season, then I am sure Tony Khan can probably give him a boost in the winter transfer window. We don't need to improve much each week in order to become a premier league survivor.

Last time, we got five points in the first six games of Slavisa (after which Cairney was injured), we got nine points in the first twelve games of Raneri (after which Mawson was injured) and we got nine points in the last five games of Parker (before which Anguissa was injured), that's 26 points in 23 games when injuries in the squad weren't as bad. We will have more squad depth and more cohesiveness this season, so injuries should affect the team less.

70sPimlico

The way the season ended got me thinking that much of the reason we tended to be so slow in attack was the way we play with Mitro up top.

Robinson will really help us both in last gasp tackles and ability to convert defence to attack really quickly.

Think we are approaching this season far more sensibly than the last time we went up

rebel

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 21, 2020, 08:07:09 AM
Scott Parker has won three of his last five games in the premier league with clean sheets. If Parker can win five and draws four of his first nineteen games this season, then I am sure Tony Khan can probably give him a boost in the winter transfer window. We don't need to improve much each week in order to become a premier league survivor.

It depends what his 'mind set' is as a manager, what is it when we face a Liverpool side? Is it I don't want to concede goals, I want to give it a real go, etc.

Jim©

Quote from: rebel on August 21, 2020, 08:30:21 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 21, 2020, 08:07:09 AM

It depends what his 'mind set' is as a manager, what is it when we face a Liverpool side? Is it I don't want to concede goals, I want to give it a real go, etc.

Scott Parkers a winner. I think he'll do what he can to win a game. That will happen more often against a Brighton than a Liverpool for obvious reasons. People didn't like how he went about things last season, bar a few, but it worked.