News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our midfield needs a player with energy.

Started by The Swan, August 20, 2020, 07:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Eze from QPR comes to mind. I think he would settle into our midfield.
The Swan

Bassey the warrior

He'd be a great signing and we'd rob our rivals of their star player.

copthornemike

Mind you in the last few matches Onomah certainly added energy and drive to our midfield and surprised most (maybe all) of us. Whether he can successfully and consistently show these qualities in the Premiership will be interesting.

filham

Twig

Tabby

Quote from: filham on August 20, 2020, 09:58:01 PM
Have we given up on Reed ????

Eze is an attacking midfielder. He wouldn't be competing for the same spot as Reed.

Craven Mad

Would love Eze, but query if he's needed when we have Josh in the CAM spot already.

If we splash the cash, would be delighted to see him join, but given he won't be cheap, I would rather the money went on greater priorities like LCB and RB.

Statto

If we already have Onomah, Cairney, Anguissa, Reid, probably Reed, and possibly Arter and Seri to choose from, then IMO there's no point bringing someone else into that area unless they're proper quality

IMO it's a position where we either spend another £15-30m on a top player or just don't bother

Is Eze at that level? Not sure. Good player but would he make a big impact in the PL?

MickyAdamsFamily

I think we might all be pleasantly surprised by Zambo Anguissa. He was a revelation in La Liga, much admired for his all action performances for Villareal, a team that finished 5th, and for whom he made 39 appearances. He proved to be a very valuable player for them, as he has both pace and power, combined with great determination to move forward with the ball, and to track back to defend and regain the ball when not in possession. there are several compilations of his play from his season in Spain on youtube that can give you an idea. I know that everyone looks amazing in selected clips, but several of my friends who follow La Liga religiously raved about him, and couldnt believe we let him go.

MickyAdamsFamily

Ha. They religiously follow La Liga; their raving about Zambo Anguissa was entirely secular.
I also think that Scott Parker will be keen to have Zambo Anguissa in the squad.
After Ranieri had been sacked, and Parker was the caretaker manager, I think he started Zambo Anguissa in most of those remaining games.

Twig

I think we've already discussed the potential return of Zambo and the general view errs on the positive side. For Seri it's more negative.

Woolly Mammoth

My concerns are two priorities that we need a much better RB than we currently have, and a quality LCB ahead of any other position, otherwise we will struggle to pick up any clean sheets.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 21, 2020, 01:23:31 AM
My concerns are two priorities that we need a much better RB than we currently have, and a quality LCB ahead of any other position, otherwise we will struggle to pick up any clean sheets.

FFC Priorities in my view: i) quality starting LCB, ii) starting RB, iii) DM or Reed, iv) backup RCB, v) backup LB (done), vi) some under 21s, and vii) all other business. If we want to stay up, we must be solid in defense quickly.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 21, 2020, 02:20:19 AM

FFC Priorities in my view: i) quality starting LCB, ii) starting RB, iii) DM or Reed, iv) backup RCB, v) backup LB (done), vi) some under 21s, and vii) all other business. If we want to stay up, we must be solid in defense quickly.
We appear to be singing from the same hymn sheet which warms my heart.

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 21, 2020, 02:47:39 AM

Maybe TK has similar ideas too because the only three outfield players whose contracts end in 10 months are Ream (LCB), Christie (RB) and KMac (DM); plus Odoi contract also just ended (backup RCB and backup LB). We need to bring their replacements in the preseason and leave at least half a season for a transition from old to new. If we can start the season with a solid defense and come into the winter transfer window around 17th -18th, it much easier to fix the attack in the winter transfer window than rebuild a defense. Another lesson learned from 2018-19 season.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 21, 2020, 04:03:42 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 21, 2020, 02:47:39 AM

Maybe TK has similar ideas too because the only three outfield players whose contracts end in 10 months are Ream (LCB), Christie (RB) and KMac (DM); plus Odoi contract also just ended (backup RCB and backup LB). We need to bring their replacements in the preseason and leave at least half a season for a transition from old to new. If we can start the season with a solid defense and come into the winter transfer window around 17th -18th, it much easier to fix the attack in the winter transfer window than rebuild a defense. Another lesson learned from 2018-19 season.

Make ourselves hard to score against, make ourselves hard to beat from day one. We cannot go toe to toe with some of these big boys, so we have to be cute and unpredictable. This is where every detail comes into play, especially set pieces which is where we have to look to be better that the next team and at least on level terms with all. There is more than one way to skin a cat. It was a set piece that put us in the driving seat in the play off final, and those three consecutive set pieces from Kebano were so important in the grand scheme of things.
There are more than one way to play a game of football and you have to play to your strengths.
Not everyone can spend obscene amounts of money on millionaires, in fact only a chosen few.
So the rest of the herd need to find the formula that suits them and their players, with a Manager/Coach who can win matches and save matches based on his ability to game manage with a system of play using the right subs at the right time, in accordance with adjusting the team lineup and shape in the thick of the action, to be proactive as opposed to reactive, that in itself is an art.

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: Statto on August 20, 2020, 10:47:14 PM
If we already have Onomah, Cairney, Anguissa, Reid, probably Reed, and possibly Arter and Seri to choose from, then IMO there's no point bringing someone else into that area unless they're proper quality

IMO it's a position where we either spend another £15-30m on a top player or just don't bother

Is Eze at that level? Not sure. Good player but would he make a big impact in the PL?
Thats right, we need to address the problem of scoring goals, last season it was all down to Mitro. A new goalscorer is going to cost big money and we don't need to waste cash on new midfielders who are no better that what we already have and are likely to spend most of the season bench warming.

Bassey the warrior

Onomah has these characteristics in the Championship but we can't rely on him to repeat this in the Premier League, so we need other options as well. BDR could've fit that mould but he just can't score.

As for Zambo, I don't see him as a goalscorer, I see him as Mousa Dembele mk 2 potentially. Both good at dribbling and winning the ball, both strong, neither known for their goals.

The Swan

£20 million is what QPR want for Eze. I think he is worth a go.
The Swan

bog

Would this be like them taking Rodney Marsh from us? I never really got over that.

092.gif