watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What to expect this season

Started by Nightwind15, August 22, 2020, 12:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightwind15

I realize this is totally speculative but what do you, the fans that follow Fulham more closely than I can, expect this season?  Will it be stellar, mid pack results or a struggle to stay up?  Being in the States there is no way of gaging the quality of our club as well as those of you in direct contact.  I am excited to know Fulham is back and hope for a more relaxed season from a fan's perspective across the pond.
I played in the first match I ever saw!

blingo

We will win the league by a record number of points, win the FA cup and the other cup.

Nightwind15

I played in the first match I ever saw!

Twig

Inevitably it will be tough. A bit of a grind. Standards in the Prem are exceptionally high and the first season back is always tough.  But if we make the obvious signings I think we stand a decent chance.

F(f)CUK

I hope that we will be more defensively adept than last time. Playing possession football against better teams will be really tough. In addition, planning a campaign with a shorter off-season will be doubly tough. I just pray that we can make 17th. That will be a huge success.

filham

It is going to be tough with us locked in the bottom six. A seventeenth finish or above will be success.
Right now it is essential that TK has his eye on the ball ready to make a few signings that will enable Parker to get a team up and running in three weeks time.

fcfulham55

Can we finish above some one?
With the squad as it is?

Be difficult to finish 19th, but think Villa are punching in this league.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

WindyCity

Quote from: fcfulham55 on August 22, 2020, 05:08:16 PM
Can we finish above some one?
With the squad as it is?
Be difficult to finish 19th, but think Villa are punching in this league.

I think there are plenty of clubs FFC can finish above.  But, it is going to be a struggle and I do see FFC in bottom six for much of the season and flirting with relegation possibilities.  Right now we have champ level players (save Mitro) that have to come good at the Prem level.  And there are a handful of players still in the team from the recent Prem relegation campaign.  Things could change for the better pending some proven quality player acquisitions which are definitely needed.  But as things stand right now, I think we can have an enjoyable experience in top flight but it is gonna be a mighty struggle.  COYW

FFCFOREVER

The fact we can defend better with Parker in charge gives me hope , but we need to upgrade with another CB and RB as a priority. 15th place finish for me.

S.F.Sorrow

Everything will depend on getting the necessary reinforcements at LCB, RB and DM, preferrably no later than the end of next week. If we fail to strengthen these positions as soon as possible I think it will be a very depressing season. We also need a backup striker but as long as Mitro stays fit for the first couple of weeks this is less urgent right now.

With our current squad I can't see us staying up to be honest. But who knows?

AnOldBrownie

QuoteBeing in the States there is no way of gaging the quality of our club as well as those of you in direct contact.

Oh, I disagree with that statement.   Sure, we don't get enough info on our in house youth, but this isn't the 1970s.   

What will determine the quality of our club is how they perform as a unit on the pitch.

I expect the club to finish 15th. 

But that is with the understanding that Fulham will make two really good new defensive player signings, sign Harrison to a multi year deal, and loan Seri for Babel.

Fernhurst

Quote from: blingo on August 22, 2020, 12:50:00 PM
We will win the league by a record number of points, win the FA cup and the other cup.

You never change........ and please don't.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

blingo

Quote from: Fernhurst on August 22, 2020, 07:56:25 PM
Quote from: blingo on August 22, 2020, 12:50:00 PM

You never change........ and please don't.

I will always be glass half full Ferny, we will surprise a few teams this season starting with Arsenal. We just need a couple of players and we will be fine. We certainly wont be relegated.

SP

It amazes me we were only 10 or so points adrift from safety last time, some of our defending was absolutely comical. I'm hoping for better things this time around but I'll be amazed if we're not among the bottom feeders. Presumably, the Khan's will be desperate to open the new stand in the top flight so hopefully there'll be a few decent signings to swell the ranks.

rebel

Last time in the Prem, we never got over the pre-season mess, we were still signing players as the season got under way, too many new players, 3 managers in a season, 'everything that could go wrong went wrong', most of it was self-inflicted.   

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: rebel on August 23, 2020, 11:09:03 AM
Last time in the Prem, we never got over the pre-season mess, we were still signing players as the season got under way, too many new players, 3 managers in a season, 'everything that could go wrong went wrong', most of it was self-inflicted.

Whereas THIS time we don't seem to have any pre-season games planned at all, have only signed one player and have failed to strengthen our 3 most critical positions with less than 3 weeks to go...

Unless a lot of things happen over the next 5-6 days I'd say we are on a steady course to the same self-inflicted mess.

Of course, I won't completely rule out that we might sign a LCB, RB and DM over the next 5-6 days but I won't hold my breath.

WindyCity

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on August 23, 2020, 02:52:36 PM
Whereas THIS time we don't seem to have any pre-season games planned at all, have only signed one player and have failed to strengthen our 3 most critical positions with less than 3 weeks to go...
Unless a lot of things happen over the next 5-6 days I'd say we are on a steady course to the same self-inflicted mess.

I think this is a very legitimate concern.  Unusual times as we all know, and a very short window for player acquisitions.  One has to assume (or maybe hope?) that management/ownership had plans in place to act upon the possible promotion, and when it was confirmed, that they have been actively (behind the scenes?) working their hardest to fill those holes that so obviously need filling.  Fulham supporters need to see some serious activity in this regard very, very soon indeed!

Statto

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on August 23, 2020, 02:52:36 PM

Of course, I won't completely rule out that we might sign a LCB, RB and DM over the next 5-6 days but I won't hold my breath.

Normally I'd agree with you but with the pandemic, different rules have to apply IMO.
Without wishing to get political, IMO everyone in positions of responsibility - the government, company CEOs, Tony Khan... - deserves a bit of latitude these days because they're navigating unprecedented, unpredictable, fast-moving circumstances.

I think the transfer window and pre-season is going to feel like a bit of a sh1tshow for every club, just like everything in UK life and around the world has felt for the last 6 months.

As long as we see some basic common sense (eg big effort to sign a new LCB) by October i'm going to be sympathetic and understanding this year.

Burt

Let's be brutally honest - we have a rookie manager and a squad where most of the players wouldn't be guaranteed first team football in most of the other teams in the Premier League.

It's going to be tough.

But it's good to be back, and I think with 2 or 3 decent signings and a more rugged approach we may surprise a few teams, and ourselves :)

AnOldBrownie

What have West Brom and Leeds done to improve this offseason?

I think they have more work to do than Fulham to finish in the top 17.  Obviously I could be completely wrong.  :003: