watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Anyone else uninspired by our potential transfers

Started by General, August 27, 2020, 10:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmicawbers

Happy with the direction they seem to be going in compared with the last time.

RaySmith

Feel excited about the young players we've been linked with, though we've only actually managed to sign one at the moment!

We could easily have been looking at starting another Championship campaign, and wondering  who we might attract to Fulham, instead we are  a Prem club, which makes us that much more attractive to the up and coming young players we are linked with, and also have a rich owner prepared to spend on the  team, as well as the ground.

I feel very good about this, whereas i think i would have been a bit down if we'd  failed in the play-offs - and it wasn't just luck that enabled us to win through, with our 'under-performing' team and  'inexperienced' manager.

No transfer is ever 10 percent  foolproof, as every club knows - they have to fit in with your  squad and set up, as well as any personal effects of changing location and environment, but to compare possible new signings with the  'steady pro's' we acquired in past  seasons seems unnecessarily negative.
We've made some  very good signings in recent years, as well as ones who didn't work out, who have proved great assets, including Mitro, of course, who came to us with a bad reputation, as said here

3-lions

Happy and excited like a lot posting here. And while the following will be sorted in due time. The fact at time of writing the season begins in just over 2 weeks. We as a Club have only signed 1 player, have no kit, no sponsor, no retained/released list, no preseason games listed and others. All excusable in light of Covid and the extended season. But still a 'concern' ... Just wish things at FFC would move just that bit faster.

General

I thought we had a preseason camp in portugal or Spain lined up?

We have been very unlucky in having the two seasons we've gone up see us go through an extended league and then have irregular windows with which to work with in world cup and now covid.

Does sound like there's no one clear consensus which in itself could be considered a cause for concern. Indicative of there not being an obvious stand out player we all agree on in terms of genuine fit and ability/quality.

SuffolkWhite

Quote from: General on August 27, 2020, 01:57:46 PM
I thought we had a preseason camp in portugal or Spain lined up?

We have been very unlucky in having the two seasons we've gone up see us go through an extended league and then have irregular windows with which to work with in world cup and now covid.

Does sound like there's no one clear consensus which in itself could be considered a cause for concern. Indicative of there not being an obvious stand out player we all agree on in terms of genuine fit and ability/quality.

I think it's hard to say General, like the comment further up about Sanchez, he was banging them in for the Arsenal and then moves and he is totally poo. If we sign him now he might turn a corner and be fantastic! Funny old game football.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

filham

Enlgish internationls , world class players, established premier league players in their prime, will all be earmarked for top six clubs and will not take a second look at us, furthermore we could afford niether their transfer fee or wages.

So we have to be looking at fringe players prepared to take a risk with a club that is among the favourites for a relegation battle,
With this in mind the players we have so far been connected with seems reasonable and really we have to hope they have been seen by Parker and meet his needs.

Only time will tell whether or not these players will be really successful playing for us.

Andy S

And that is the crux of it we are able to pick up scraps and possibly a few from the championship but none at bargain bucket prices. I would prefer players who will battle for us to prima donnas that don't

ScalleysDad

Like many I am in the fairly content camp. SP moved for Robinson very quickly and in his interview AR said FFC ticked all his boxes and also mentioned that SP wanted players who would work hard and want to learn like he does. That will do for me and I suspect that is the end of the Seri/Schurle type signings.
I hope all the homework has been done quietly below stairs on players we actually need and want and SP has had the talk about what is expected from potential signings so that we get it right this time.

The Rational Fan

I really hope Crystal Palace, Burnley and Brighton are extremely uninspired by Fulham's signings, as FFP allows them to spend more than us if their owners are convinced it's necessary. 

Crystal Palace, for example, made £5m in 18/19, probably made £5m last season again, can make losses of £105m over three-season and promised at least £170m in TV money. I hope they aren't scared of us, because they could quite easily spend £150m if they panic and spend all their FFP money available.

No doubt they won't spend £150m, but they will spend exactly the minimum they think they need to finish ahead of us (or three other clubs), so we need to avoid trigging other clubs buying players.

Make no doubt, none of existing PL team are expecting to go down and all think their squad will be stronger than ours, if they didn't think that they would buy players. We need to gradually build the squad during the window to start the season and then at the last moment get a couple of great signings leaving them no time to panic then reinforce.

Tony Khan needs to use the element of surprise in the transfer window, like signing Gerald Pique or Chris Smalling on deadline day. Maybe a deadline day deal or two are already arranged and super hidden to catch the other teams unaware. 

WayneKerrins

Quote from: Jim© on August 27, 2020, 11:13:03 AM
I remember back to our last promotion to the Prem and people were literally falling over themselves to bet on FFC finishing top 10 etc etc etc.
There were signings there that were praised to high heaven and just did not work out; Seri, Mawson, Fabri, Chambers, Fosu-Mensah, Schurrle, Vietto. They all got people excited without seeing them kick a ball in a white shirt.

I'm confident that lessons have been learnt. Whilst no one can say that the Khans are error free, at least they seem to learn from them.
It's often the players that you're least excited about that go on to do well- Bryan a good example here (though it was funny nicking him off of Villa) and I'd add Simon Davies to the list, Danny Murphy, loads of good examples of the quiet ones (dare I say Ream) doing well.

Agree with every word in that first para and I was one who got all excited about 5-1 being available for top half. Admittedly some of that was down to what Slav had shown. Don't yet have that same vibe from young Scott but he is improving.

JoelH5

I am by Lemina. Apparently he's got a terrible attitude. Last thing we need.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

The Rational Fan

Quote from: JoelH5 on August 28, 2020, 08:24:51 AM

Spending £10m for an upgrade on Seri with a worse attitude might be money better spent elsewhere.

Deeping_white

How about we give him a chance before crucifying him eh? When he's at his best he'll be a class above at this level and can control games all by himself

Sting of the North

Quote from: Deeping_white on August 28, 2020, 08:33:25 AM

How about we give him a chance before crucifying him eh? When he's at his best he'll be a class above at this level and can control games all by himself

No, that would be far to reasonable...

SuffolkWhite

There are loads of reason why players work better at one club and not another, it could be relationship with a Manager, Personal life,  not settling in, maturity etc etc etc.

I don't think any of us would want AK to leave at the moment as he has shown a better attitude and his potential is great with the speed and strength he has.

Lets give all players a chance next season before we go down the Baird route of negativity.

We need to back this team in every way if SP has had to build confidence most of last season.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 28, 2020, 08:36:53 AM
Quote from: Deeping_white on August 28, 2020, 08:33:25 AM

No, that would be far to reasonable...

I don't think I've seen one player we've been linked with that hasn't been criticised by someone so at least its consistent.....Hell, we can't even get linked to Pique without people thinking hes not good enough....

rebel

My view is that as individual player's they might not inspire confidence, but as part of a team, they will all provide the neccessary elements needed to be successful. Short and sweet.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: rebel on August 28, 2020, 09:11:47 AM
My view is that as individual player's they might not inspire confidence, but as part of a team, they will all provide the neccessary elements needed to be successful. Short and sweet.

Actually really well said

rebel

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 28, 2020, 09:17:49 AM
Quote from: rebel on August 28, 2020, 09:11:47 AM

Actually really well said

Thank you.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 28, 2020, 12:22:36 AM
I really hope Crystal Palace, Burnley and Brighton are extremely uninspired by Fulham's signings, as FFP allows them to spend more than us if their owners are convinced it's necessary. 

Crystal Palace, for example, made £5m in 18/19, probably made £5m last season again, can make losses of £105m over three-season and promised at least £170m in TV money. I hope they aren't scared of us, because they could quite easily spend £150m if they panic and spend all their FFP money available.

No doubt they won't spend £150m, but they will spend exactly the minimum they think they need to finish ahead of us (or three other clubs), so we need to avoid trigging other clubs buying players.

Make no doubt, none of existing PL team are expecting to go down and all think their squad will be stronger than ours, if they didn't think that they would buy players. We need to gradually build the squad during the window to start the season and then at the last moment get a couple of great signings leaving them no time to panic then reinforce.

Tony Khan needs to use the element of surprise in the transfer window, like signing Gerald Pique or Chris Smalling on deadline day. Maybe a deadline day deal or two are already arranged and super hidden to catch the other teams unaware. 

It's all well and good saying Club A can spend £X under FFP.
It's worth noting they still have to find the money.
Not all clubs have a generous, wealthy owner.
There's no FFP rule stopping me from going out and buying a Ferrari but I still can't do it... because I don't have the money