watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Anyone else uninspired by our potential transfers

Started by General, August 27, 2020, 10:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Hearing some of the names in particular the nest that seem to have weight to them are leaving me less than inspired and wondering if Tony Khan has actually learned anything from the last time we went up.

Lemina seems to have a lot of ability but a poor attitude - reminds me of seri - do we really want someone who lacks the discipline to reliably turn up? For what? A disruptive influence is of no use to the club and team dynamic.

Then, whilst I get the fact they could be great acquisitions and have youth on their side, we're again owing for championship players who are inexperienced in the premier league. I appreciate a lot of teams seem interested in Cash from the premiership but honestly given the standard of the championship I'm not sure I have confidence they're the type of signings we need to stay up. I would loathe it if we did go down again and started becoming a yoyo club - it achieves nothing and makes the cub a laughing stock.

Of the players we've been linked with none strike me as players who are the solid pro we need and historically do well with - Simon davies, murphy, schwarzer the guys who have genuine quality at the top level but are humble and work hard. There's always this unknown quality to them which leaves us exposed.

Meanwhile we've really not seemingly looked to make a statement and address key areas.

We need to strengthen at LCB and RB first and foremost, we need to offload some deadweight MLM, Seri, Mawson are all taking up valuable wage and squad space.

Someone addresses of mentioned the need for energy, a leader who can pick the game up by the scruff of the knock come rain or shine and make things happen and take control of the game - I don't see us having that type of player on our books.

The only two names I've seen that have given me any boost in these terms are callum wilson and resigning babel and they obviously only fill attacking spots and needs.

Just me? I know it's a negative post of sorts but it's genuinely well intentioned.

fulhamfever

I will judge them once they play I will give it time.

New manager in the Premier League for a 38 game season from the start, a kind fixture list to open with and new signings. 

alfie

Quote from: General on August 27, 2020, 10:33:12 AM

Hearing some of the names in particular the nest that seem to have weight to them are leaving me less than inspired and wondering if Tony Khan has actually learned anything from the last time we went up.

Lemina seems to have a lot of ability but a poor attitude - reminds me of seri - do we really want someone who lacks the discipline to reliably turn up? For what? A disruptive influence is of no use to the club and team dynamic.

Then, whilst I get the fact they could be great acquisitions and have youth on their side, we're again owing for championship players who are inexperienced in the premier league. I appreciate a lot of teams seem interested in Cash from the premiership but honestly given the standard of the championship I'm not sure I have confidence they're the type of signings we need to stay up. I would loathe it if we did go down again and started becoming a yoyo club - it achieves nothing and makes the cub a laughing stock.

Of the players we've been linked with none strike me as players who are the solid pro we need and historically do well with - Simon davies, murphy, schwarzer the guys who have genuine quality at the top level but are humble and work hard. There's always this unknown quality to them which leaves us exposed.

Meanwhile we've really not seemingly looked to make a statement and address key areas.

We need to strengthen at LCB and RB first and foremost, we need to offload some deadweight MLM, Seri, Mawson are all taking up valuable wage and squad space.

Someone addresses of mentioned the need for energy, a leader who can pick the game up by the scruff of the knock come rain or shine and make things happen and take control of the game - I don't see us having that type of player on our books.

The only two names I've seen that have given me any boost in these terms are callum wilson and resigning babel and they obviously only fill attacking spots and needs.

Just me? I know it's a negative post of sorts but it's genuinely well intentioned.
Like any transfer no one has the slightest idea on how they will perform, Seri is the prime example.
That's when I personally will form an opinion.

In saying  all that, who would you want to bring in.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Lighthouse

There is always a frustration when a key problem in the side has not been corrected for what seems like seasons. But last time we were in the Prem we bought some players who had no experience in the Prem and were from overseas. They proved to be very disappointing. Going for players from the Championship seems to be a better and safer idea.

However we can never be sure which player will make it and which will not. But when it comes to players attitudes we just cant make any assumptions. Mitro frankly had a very dubious reputation before he came here. Once Joka left we were again told that Mitro would be off and his attitude would suffer.  All of this proved nonsense. Players and the way they can behave for different coaches and clubs rely on so many things that we cannot frame conclusions.

It would be great as always to have players signed and sealed in place and in positions where the team is weaker. But this is football and at Fulham this never happens. I can't be sure how players coming in will play. I can't be sure how those with great reputations will continue to react once at a club like ours. I no longer get that excited about new players coming in until we have seen them in a action and how they compete in the team. But that also means that any point in feeling uninspired by those names connected as possible is useless. Until a ball is kicked we just never can be sure.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

KJS

No not really until a new player settles in you don't have any ides how they will do🙄

Bryanthebroom

I hear what you're saying - but it does seem a little harsh.

We're mainly being linked with either - players who have past premier league experience or
                                                      - talented young championship players who are already settled in England, are on relatively low wages and will improve in the future.

ByTheRiver

I'm kind of the opposite to be honest, I am quite pleased with are being linked with young, hungry players who have experience of the speed and physicality of the football in this country and have something to prove and make the step up. I feared we would again go down the route of older players, with big names, who feel they are doing us a favour/making do by coming here. Or lesser known players on the continent with good stats but who may struggle (either take time to adapt or never adapt) to the differences here.

The players you mention specifically were great but there is an equal number of similar exp/level players that came and didn't work out. No transfer is guranteed. Even within the same league. Alexis Sanchez being the biggest, most expensive and high profile example. One of the best players in the league/world, absolutely tearing it up, big transfer 'tug of war', moved, then absolutely woeful. Complete waste of money and couldn't be given away.

No one has actually signed yet (where is this bloody CB?!) but given the links so far, I am relatively hopeful we are working along the right lines. There is still time for that to be messed up though!

Jim©

I remember back to our last promotion to the Prem and people were literally falling over themselves to bet on FFC finishing top 10 etc etc etc.
There were signings there that were praised to high heaven and just did not work out; Seri, Mawson, Fabri, Chambers, Fosu-Mensah, Schurrle, Vietto. They all got people excited without seeing them kick a ball in a white shirt.

I'm confident that lessons have been learnt. Whilst no one can say that the Khans are error free, at least they seem to learn from them.
It's often the players that you're least excited about that go on to do well- Bryan a good example here (though it was funny nicking him off of Villa) and I'd add Simon Davies to the list, Danny Murphy, loads of good examples of the quiet ones (dare I say Ream) doing well.

Statto

No.

Excited that we're being linked with highly-rated young players like Lemina and Luis

Excited at the prospect of Anguissa returning

Excited to be linked with Smalling, Pique... although those rumours may be rubbish I admit

Mildly disappointed that we haven't got another two or three over the line yet, and they we haven't really been linked with any forwards (except Babel and perhaps Wilson, and actually, those are pretty uninspiring IMO)

The Cravenette

Good point by Lighthouse re Mitro- he has settled in to the Fulham life unbelievably well considering his reputation was one of a loose cannon (just ask McClaren  :005:!)

There are always reasons behind the scenes why players may have issues settling.  It's been discussed on here that Zambo came to us as a young man; different country, different league etc.  It usually takes time to settle for this type of plyer, whereas we shouldn't have that issue with players from the Championship.

However I, like everyone, would prefer us to get the transfers in as early as we can to get the gelling part out the way before the season starts.  This rarely happens with any team though.  No one is doing a lot of business (with the exeption of Che**** but they had a window or 2 off to prepare).

grandad

Don´t beat yourselves up about transfers. None of us mortals has a clue about what is going on behind the scenes. Ignore all the gossip & just wait for announcements on the Offal. Enjoy the summer & just chill.
Where there's a will there's a wife

hopper

It is a very fair post, and I think we all share your concerns to an extent. The thing that has been going through my head is how do we meaningfully improve the squad without disrupting the so called squad harmony that everyone has been going on about. I think we all agree that the team needs quite a lot of improvement, I think Mitro is our only attacking player with definite PL quality.

However, you look to Sheffield United who are often starting up front with McGoldrick and it makes you question whether the quality of personnel is overstated in comparison with the effectiveness of the unit.

My only concern is with Lemina, he is an amazing player on his day but across the board people seem to think he is disruptive, which is everything we are trying to avoid from last time.

I've all but given up on judging transfers until the end of the season as I was buzzing summer of 18/19, and it went so terribly. Likewise thought Knockaert would tear up the Championship, and had never heard of Harrison Reed - who along with Hector turned out to be our best signings. It really is just a bit of a wait and see situation.

rebel

Quote from: Statto on August 27, 2020, 11:19:03 AM
No.

Excited that we're being linked with highly-rated young players like
Lemina and Luis

Excited to be linked with Smalling, Pique... although those rumours may be rubbish I admit

Mildly disappointed that we haven't got another two or three over the line yet, and they we haven't really been linked with any forwards

Lemina is almost there, as to whether it works out is 50 / 50. Southampton want to get rid.
Roma want Smalling. Manager wants Piques to stay. We have been linked with strikers.

SuffolkWhite

I think as the majority have said above, until we actually sign these players and see them play I can't feel underwhelmed about any signings.

I feel/hope we have learnt from our lessons of signing players from the past, and some examples seem to be happening now. EG Lemina if it happens will be on loan and players like Reed hopefully signed after a loan period.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

FFC1987

Weirdly, I'm the complete opposite. Very excited by the names and quality we've been linked with, if anything, too excited so the come down will be much worse when names like Lemina et all become Jason Koumas and Titus Bramble.......

Feel like Fulham are in a good place right now. Much better than before. Only thing that'll make it better is seeing training pics of Anguissa.

Bassey the warrior

Not at all. We're being linked with quality players. Lemina could be a risk but equally he could benefit from a fresh start.

The only concern is we're not being linked to centre backs, which should be number 1 priority.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 27, 2020, 11:27:32 AM
Jason Koumas.

:dft011:

I knew something had been missing from these transfer threads. Suddenly all feels right with the world again and I am transported back to a pre-Covid world. Thanks!

toshes mate

Of the players we've been linked with none strike me as players who are the solid pro we need and historically do well with - Simon Davies, Murphy, Schwarzer the guys who have genuine quality at the top level but are humble and work hard. There's always this unknown quality to them which leaves us exposed.

Good post, General.  I particular like the above quote which is a well made point about a football scene that often appears lacking in such characters. and yet, if you get them, don't they just give you total value for your money and extras.

Beamer

I think it would be a good idea to start a 'Players Fulham are not linked with' thread which would be much quicker to scan and likely to be more accurate.

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on August 27, 2020, 11:19:03 AM
No.

Excited that we're being linked with highly-rated young players like Lemina and Luis

Mildly disappointed that we haven't got another two or three over the line yet, and they we haven't really been linked with any forwards (except Babel and perhaps Wilson, and actually, those are pretty uninspiring IMO)

Agree 100% good post
STH H3