watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Question

Started by Peabody, September 05, 2020, 04:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Who knows who Ebeneezer Cobb-Morely is? The important date is 26/10/1863 and it is slightly Fulham related.

rebel

He is regarded as one of the fathers of the Football Association (FA) and modern football, born in Barnes. More to follow.

Peabody

Well done. Ebeneezer has gifted us the opportunity to be able to support our team and for that, I am grateful

rebel

Just a aside, apparently football's origins are Scottish, but there the origins might actually be Chinese. No doubt 'caveman' kicked small stones around, the kids surely would of.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuju#:~:text=Invented%20in%20the%20Han%20dynasty,in%20Korea%2C%20Japan%20and%20Vietnam.

kiwian

Quote from: rebel on September 05, 2020, 06:20:43 PM
Just a aside, apparently football's origins are Scottish, but there the origins might actually be Chinese. No doubt 'caveman' kicked small stones around, the kids surely would of.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuju#:~:text=Invented%20in%20the%20Han%20dynasty,in%20Korea%2C%20Japan%20and%20Vietnam.
According to the movie I watched last night (Early Man), the game was invented by a tribe of stone age hunters who challenged bronze age city dwellers to a game to save their ancestral lands. They also wanted to improve their hunting skills to be able to eat mammoths rather than rabbits.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

rebel

Quote from: kiwian on September 06, 2020, 09:29:01 AM

According to the movie I watched last night (Early Man), the game was invented by a tribe of stone age hunters who challenged bronze age city dwellers to a game to save their ancestral lands. They also wanted to improve their hunting skills to be able to eat mammoths rather than rabbits.

Becareful, a Mammoth posts on this site. 

toshes mate

When did 'football' become 'football' is one of those pointless questions that has no real answer other than the arrival of the word 'football' (with the English meaning - foot and ball) in any other language. A lot of people must have kicked things around throughout history but the crucial thing someone eventually did was to find something that was reasonably round and could be kicked without risking injury.  The Mayans did have a courtyard sport involving 'balls' and 'goals' but it seemed to resemble basketball rather than football and didn't have a happy ending for some players.  Identify the first 'ball' ever used and you'd probably find the first person who kicked it too.

Peabody

Quote from: toshes mate on September 06, 2020, 09:46:12 AM
When did 'football' become 'football' is one of those pointless questions that has no real answer other than the arrival of the word 'football' (with the English meaning - foot and ball) in any other language. A lot of people must have kicked things around throughout history but the crucial thing someone eventually did was to find something that was reasonably round and could be kicked without risking injury.  The Mayans did have a courtyard sport involving 'balls' and 'goals' but it seemed to resemble basketball rather than football and didn't have a happy ending for some players.  Identify the first 'ball' ever used and you'd probably find the first person who kicked it too.

No, Ebeneezer didn't binvent Football, it was his proposal to form the FA. Which meant that a Football became organised

Peabody

Was that film the Flintstones?

filham

Interesting post Peabody ,thanks.
PS. The word "Football" has yet to arrive in the States.

rebel

As aside, I invented the word 'internet', I was watching the girls play 'netball' at school, I said 'In-the-net', what we now call the 'internet'; would you 'adam and eve' it!! The rest is history.   

rebel

Quote from: Peabody on September 06, 2020, 09:58:16 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on September 06, 2020, 09:46:12 AM

No, Ebeneezer didn't binvent Football, it was his proposal to form the FA. Which meant that a Football became organised

Peabody wasn't talking about 'origins', I introduced 'origins'.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: rebel on September 06, 2020, 10:50:49 AM
As aside, I invented the word 'internet', I was watching the girls play 'netball' at school, I said 'In-the-net', what we now call the 'internet'; would you 'adam and eve' it!! The rest is history.   
You were "watching girls play netball at school"??
Yeah....maybe keep that to yourself Rebel !!!😉👍
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

rebel

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on September 06, 2020, 10:55:11 AM
Quote from: rebel on September 06, 2020, 10:50:49 AM
You were "watching girls play netball at school"??
Yeah....maybe keep that to yourself Rebel !!!😉👍
COYW

I was watching them netball whilst I was at school, happy to admit it.
I was voted the 'sexist boy' in the whole school by the girls in my year, they spent most of their time watching me.
Do you know the difference between 'netball' amd 'basketball'?

Fulham Tup North

[/quote]
...apart from the players....being about 3 foot taller you mean??
😄

rebel

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on September 06, 2020, 12:17:53 PM

...apart from the players....being about 3 foot taller you mean??
😄
[/quote]

The Rules.

Fulham Tup North

Netballers stand still with the ball....basketballers run with it (apart from when they are travelling of course)... that's about my limit....👍😄

RaySmith

Football becoming organised is the crucial thing, as Peabody says.

Is the  growth of organised sport as we know it today, to do with the Victorians and the growth of cites and factory production methods? Men working together in a team in a factory, and i their leisure time they  played together in organised sport with rules, like  number of players per team, and time limits, as in a factory. 'Play' as a  kind of work, good for you.
Before   I think  there were  various games with a ball, where the whole town would turn out, maybe drunk, battling to get a ball from one village to the other, as you still get in some places carried on traditionally on a Bank Holiday.

There  was also the growth of public health awareness - the idea of 'a healthy mind in a healthy body' -
exercise was good for you in mind and body, instead of sitting around getting drunk in the pub.
Also a good way to direct the masses' energy, away from public disorder and crime, or ideas of revolution.

kiwian

Quote from: Peabody on September 06, 2020, 09:59:43 AM

Was that film the Flintstones?
No it was called Early Man, a claymation film for kids (and the young at heart).
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?