watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 08/09/20...

Started by WhiteJC, September 07, 2020, 11:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Mikel Arteta's thoughts on Mesut Ozil and his Arsenal future ahead of Fulham game

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta brought Mesut Ozil back into the fold in their 3-2 defeat against Aston Villa on Saturday - seemingly indicating the German midfielder will stay in north London this season

Mikel Arteta is resigned to Mesut Ozil seeing out the final year of his contract at Arsenal after bringing him back into the fold over the weekend.

Ozil, 31, has entered the final year of his eye-watering Gunners contract, which sees him rake in a club-high £350,000 per week.

And after being left in the cold by Arteta at the back end of last season, the German midfielder looked almost certain to be on his way out of the Emirates this summer.

According to the Evening Standard, though, Ozil is now set to stay at Arsenal and see out the final year of his contract.

Arteta brought the Gunners' top earner back in from the cold in Saturday's 3-2 friendly defeat against Aston Villa, having not used him at all during Project Restart over the summer, as he is now resigned to keeping him.

His last appearance was in their 1-0 win over West Ham all the way back in March.

He received a staggering financial offer to join Al-Nassr earlier this summer, with Turkish outlet Fanatik claiming the Saudi Arabian club offered to pay him £15million per year.

The Riyadh-based side reportedly told him: "We want to make you the new Prince of Saudi Arabia and we will not spare any sacrifices for this."

But following his start against Villa, Ozil is now poised to stay in north London for at least another 10 months.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored both goals for the hosts in the friendly, but his brace was unable to inspire them to victory.

Jacob Ramsey also netted twice for Dean Smith's side, while Douglas Luiz also got on the scoresheet.

Arsenal are set to get the 2020/21 Premier League campaign underway against Fulham this Saturday.

Scott Parker's newly-promoted outfit will welcome the likes of Ozil and Aubameyang to the Craven Cottage for the lunchtime fixture, which will be the first match of the new top-flight season.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/mesut-ozil-arsenal-mikel-arteta-22643960

WhiteJC

Tottenham Hotspur: Jose Mourinho wants to keep Ryan Sessegnon at the club this season

Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho wants to keep Ryan Sessegnon at the club this season and will veto any potential loan offers for the youngster.

That is according to a report from Football Insider, which claimed that the Spurs boss has earmarked a bigger role in the side for the 20-year-old in the upcoming campaign.

Newcastle, Ajax and his former club Fulham had all been linked with potential loan moves for the left-sided player in recent weeks.

Tottenham signed Sessegnon from fellow capital club Fulham in a £25m deal (as per BBC) but his first season with Spurs has been a difficult one, with only 12 appearances in all competitions and having to bear the brunt of criticism from some supporters over some unconvincing performances.

While he has so far cost £2.08m per appearance, the youngster's cause was not helped by a hamstring injury which prevented him from making his Spurs debut until November, at which time he was still a teenager.

Although Sessegnon had only a fraction of the game-time that he enjoyed in the two previous seasons at Fulham, he still performed better for several metrics last term in comparison to his time at Craven Cottage. His match averages for tackles won (one to 0.6), clearances made (1.7 to 1.1) and passes per game (26.5 to 19.6) all improved in 2019/20 compared to the previous term, as did his passing success rate (77.4% to 73.4%). [via WhoScored]

Also, Mourinho is not awash with trusted left-back options in his current squad. Ben Davies played in just 18 league games last season, missing three months of the campaign with an ankle injury, while Danny Rose has returned from a loan spell at Newcastle and is someone who Spurs are reportedly keen to offload, according to The Guardian.

Sessegnon's first season at Tottenham did not go as he or the club would have wanted but, at 20, he still has more than enough time to come good on the promise which convinced Spurs to shell out £25m for him as a teenager.

Mourinho, who hasn't been afraid to publicly castigate young players in the past, seems to want the ex-Fulham man in his side for 2020/21, and that show of faith ought to inspire the youngster to justify his manager's belief in him and prove that last season was a mere aberration.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/tottenham-transfer-rumours/spurs-mourinho-faith-sessegnon-loan-rumours/

WhiteJC

Know Your Opponent: Fulham - Transfers, Form, Series History & Stats
The Gunners open the new campaign with the playoff winners.

It's back! After that long break since the 2019-20 season ended (in August) with another FA Cup for Arsenal, fans have been eager for Mikel Arteta's first full season in charge to get started. That excitement has only increased following Arsenal's PK shoot-out victory over Liverpool in the Community Shield and the arrivals of Willian, Gabriel and William Saliba. Now with the start of the 2020-21 season we bring back the 'Know Your Opponent' series.

After 15 seasons in the top flight Fulham were relegated in the 2013-14 season, spending the next four years in the Championship. A return to the Premier League for the 2018-19 season was short lived as Fulham were immediately relegated again. After a strong run to close out last season the team dubbed as Fulhmerica by many in the US are back. True to their name we could see two American defenders in the starting XI come opening day.

Last Season: Entering the season with hopes up jumping straight back up, Fulham stayed in the playoff chase for the duration of the season. Finishing the regular season with 81 points, just two away from automated promotion, they topped Cardiff City in the opening round of the playoffs 3-2, before securing a spot in the Premier League thanks to an extra-time winner from defender Joe Bryan in the Final. Fulham were knocked out of the FA Cup in the 4th round by Manchester City and the League Cup in the 2nd round by Southampton.

Last Trophy: Won the Championship in 2000/01 season. Or if you want to get creative, in 2002 Fulham won the UEFA Intertoto Cup, an old European summer competition.

Manager: Former Premier League player and English international Scott Parker, including over 100 appearances for Fulham, ended his playing career at Craven Cottage. He took over the manager role prior to the start of last season.

Ground: Craven Cottage, in southwest London. Previously had a capacity of 25,700 and is undergoing work to increase the capacity to 30,000 by the end of this season.

Series History: 39 wins - 10 draws - 8 losses. Arsenal have won the last five, outscoring Fulham 15-3 during that stretch.

Transfers In: Winger Anthony Knockaert from Brighton, American left-back Antonee Robinson from Wigan, midfielder Harrison Reed from Southampton (after spending last season at Fulham on loan), & a new loanee from Southampton in midfielder Mario Lemina, who plays with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang on the Gabon national team.

Transfers Out: A very limited list that features mainly U-23 players, but includes right-back Cody Drameh to Leeds United and a loan for American right-back Marlon Fossey to Shrewsbury Town.

Injuries: Aleksandar Mitrović appears to be ready for the start of the season. Expect team news closer to the weekend and in our match preview.

Form: They ended their seasons on a run of 3W-1D-1L in their final five matches, scoring 11 goals and conceding six.

Last Match: Ended in style with a win in the 'World's Richest Match' as they won the Championship Play-off Final over Brentford 2-1 and earned promotion to the Premier League.

Player Stats: Last season Aleksandar Mitrović led Fulham in goals with 26, defender Joe Bryan led the team in assists with eight, while Portuguese midfielder Ivan Cavaleiro racked up six goals and seven assists.

Arsenal kick off their 2020-21 Premier League season this Saturday morning. You can watch the match on NBCSports at 7:45 am ET / 4:45 am PT.

https://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/2020/9/7/21425206/know-your-opponent-fulham-transfers-form-series-history-stats-arsenal-premier-league

WhiteJC

Fulham fixture list for 2020-21 Premier League season

Fulham's return to the Premier League gets off to a difficult start with a London derby at home to Arsenal in their opening match, before a trip to face fellow newly-promoted side Leeds United in what will be their opponents' first home top-flight game in 16 years.

Arsenal are the only member of the 'big six' that they face before December, but the festive period could not get off to a much tougher start with Manchester City away followed by Liverpool at home.

The Cottagers host Chelsea in the West London derby in January and then make the short trip to Stamford Bridge at the start of May - the last of three consecutive derbies which also see Fulham take on Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur.

SEPTEMBER
12: Arsenal (h)

19: Leeds (a)

26: Aston Villa (h)

OCTOBER

3: Wolves (a)

17: Sheff Utd (a)

24: Crystal Palace (h)

31: West Brom (h)

NOVEMBER

7: West Ham (a)

21: Everton (h)

28: Leicester (a)

DECEMBER

5: Man City (a)

12: Liverpool (h)

15: Brighton (h)

19: Newcastle (a)

26: Southampton (h)

28: Tottenham (a)

JANUARY

2: Burnley (a)

12: Man Utd (h)

16: Chelsea (h)

26: Brighton (a)

30: West Brom (a)

FEBRUARY

2: Leicester (h)

6: West Ham (h)

13: Everton (a)

20: Sheff Utd (h)

27: Crystal Palace (a)

MARCH

6: Liverpool (a)

13: Man City (h)

20: Leeds (h)

APRIL

3: Aston Villa (a)

10: Wolves (h)

17: Arsenal (a)

24: Tottenham (h)

MAY

1: Chelsea (a)

8: Burnley (h)

12: Southampton (a)

15: Man Utd (a)

23: Newcastle (h)

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/feature/fulham-fixture-list-for-2020-21-premier-league-season_413394.html

WhiteJC

REPORT: Steven Sessegnon to Join Bristol City on Loan

Steven Sessegnon of Fulham during the Sky Bet Championship match between Fulham and Barnsley at Craven Cottage, London on Saturday 15th February 2020. (Photo by Jacques Feeney/MI News/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Fulham full-back Steven Sessegnon is expected to join Bristol City on a seasonal loan, according Dan Kilpatrick of the Evening Standard

Bristol City to Secure Steven Sessegnon Loan
Chance for First Team Action

Sessegnon broke into the senior side last season. However, the newly-promoted Premier League club is keen for its talented right back to gain more first-team experience.

The 20-year old was handed his league debut by Scott Parker in a 2-1 victory at Huddersfield last August. He made 15 club appearances last season. Yet, was mostly used as a replacement in the closing months of the campaign

The London club intends to balance their books ahead of their return to the Premier League. Resulting of this is a move for the youngster on loan. The Robins are claimed to have defeated a number of other clubs in the race to sign him.

With new manager Dean Holden preparing to play 3-5-2 this season, Sessegnon will step in well as a fresh right wing-back should they complete the move. Now that the Pedro Pereira loan has finished, the Robins will be prioritizing the right-back position ahead of the season.

Sessegnon will want to emulate brother Ryan's success after he achieved a move to Tottenham last summer. Now becoming out of favour, he'll be eagerly waiting for the progression of the deal.

Bristol, a club constantly looking to strive towards the premier league, could be the ideal place for Steven Sessegnon to gain more experience as they push for promotion.

Bristol City's Promotion Bid.
New Boss Holden has  continued adding to his squad  despite not officially sealing the signing of Sessegnon as of yet.

The capture of  Alfie Mawson has been confirmed. Experienced goal poacher Chris Martin has also joined the fold ass well as tenacious midfielder Joe Williams from Wigan. Sessegnon's determined and persistent displays will not go a miss at Ashton gate and could see him become one of the championship's stand out players.

Fulham will be eagerly anticipating Sessegnon's performances to see whether he is ready for the step up to the Premier League.

https://lastwordonsports.com/football/2020/09/07/steven-sessegnon-to-go-on-loan/

WhiteJC

Bettinelli braced for Middlesbrough loan move

Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli is set to join Middlesbrough on a season-long loan, according to reports this evening.

The 28 year-old, who came through the Fulham youth set-up, lost his place as Scott Parker's number one last autumn and has been offered the opportunity to play regular first-team football under Neil Warnock. Bettinelli, who was twice called up to the England senior squad by Gareth Southgate the last time Fulham were in the top flight, has made 120 first-team appearances in just over ten years at Craven Cottage.

This is the second time he has been a number two in a Championship promotion-winning side, although he did win his place back from David Button in time to keep a clean sheet in the 2018 play-off win over Aston Villa. Fulham brought in two goalkeepers that summer and, despite a brief spell in the first team before Slavisa Jokanovic was sacked, Bettinelli spent much of a dismal season watching from the sidelines. The loan deal taking him to the Riverside is expected to be announced later this week.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/09/bettinelli-braced-for-middlesbrough-loan-move/

WhiteJC

Alphonse Areola: Fulham in talks over PSG goalkeeper
Newly-promoted Premier League side want France international on season-long loan

Fulham are in talks to sign former Real Madrid goalkeeper Alphonse Areola from Paris Saint-Germain on a season-long loan.

Areola spent last season on loan at Real Madrid as part of the deal which took Keylor Navas to the Parc des Princes but has now returned to the French club.

A statement on the Madrid web site last month said: "The club would like to thank Areola for his dedication, professionalism and exemplary conduct this season and wishes him the best of luck in this new chapter.

"Real Madrid also thanks PSG for the chance to have had Alphonse Areola as part of our squad."

Areola made nine appearances for Madrid last season with former Chelsea man Thibaut Courtois predominantly used as the club's first-choice goalkeeper.

Fulham have made two close-season acquisitions following their return to the Premier League, with Mario Lemina joining on a season-long loan and Harrison Reed signing on a permanent basis after spending last season on loan at Craven Cottage.

Lemina, who joined Southampton for £15.4m from Juventus in August, 2017, spent last season on loan with Turkish side Galatasaray.

Fulham have an option to make Lemina's loan move permanent if he impresses at Craven Cottage.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12691/12066248/alphonse-areola-fulham-in-talks-over-psg-goalkeeper

WhiteJC

'I can't wait to get going with City' - Sessegnon

An excited Steven Sessegnon is looking forward to enjoying his football as he embarks on a season-long loan in BS3.

He became the latest player to tour the Ashton Gate roof on Monday (September 7th), as has become the norm for new announcements at the club.

The 20-year-old right-back, on loan from Fulham, is keen to get going in his new surroundings and he is already looking forward to seeing supporters back in the stands when it is safe to do so.

"It took a while but I'm happy to be here," Sessegnon said. "It's an exciting team with brilliant players and with how the league looks this year I don't see why we can't be up there, I'm looking forward to getting going.

"I want to thank the supporters for having me and I can't wait to get going. When the time comes I can't wait to see them fill up the stadium, make the noises they make and see the Cider Army!

"He (Dean Holden) told me his plans and I look forward to it. It's an exciting setup here, I think I will have fun and enjoy my football."

He is also reunited with Assistant Head Coaches Paul Simpson and Keith Downing, both of whom have worked with Sessegnon during his involvement with the England youth teams in recent years.

"I spent about a year each with them and each time with them on England trips I enjoyed it. I always looked forward to seeing them so I'm excited to work with them again," he said.

And if there's one thing the England Under-21 international wants to achieve while with the Robins, it's add another promotion to his already impressive CV.

"I had it in my first season with the [Fulham] first team (2017/18)  and again last season. I look at the [Bristol City] squad this year and it's a brilliant club with brilliant players so I don't see why not.

"I learnt a lot in both promotions with two sets of teams. For different reasons I experienced playing and being at the back of the room, but both were brilliant promotion campaigns and ones I won't forget."

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/i-can-t-wait-to-get-going-with-city-sessegnon/

WhiteJC

City secure Sessegnon loan

Steven Sessegnon has joined the Robins on a season-long loan from Premier League outfit Fulham.

The 20-year-old right-back arrives ahead of the Robins' 2020/21 Sky Bet Championship campaign, which kicks off against Coventry City this Saturday (September 12th, 3pm KO).

Sessegnon, an England Under-21 international who won the Under-17 FIFA World Cup three years ago, becomes Dean Holden's fifth signing of the summer transfer window, following the arrivals of Joe Williams, Chris Martin, Alfie Mawson and Chris Brunt.

Bristol City CEO Mark Ashton said: "Steven is a highly thought of, exceptional young talent, who has had a glowing reference by Paul Simpson and Keith Downing, and we're pleased to have secured him."

City Head Coach Dean Holden said: "We have been tracking Steven for a while and we are excited about what he will bring to the squad. He will fit into the way we want to play and give us an attacking option down the right side."

Sessegnon has spent his entire career with Fulham, where he progressed through the Academy before making his debut in a 2-0 Carabao Cup win over Wycombe Wanderers in 2017.

The West London side won promotion in that 2017/18 campaign but he wouldn't make his Championship debut until last season, where he played 14 times to help secure Fulham's successful promotion bid.

Sessegnon has represented England age groups from Under-16 to Under-21, lifting the Under-17 World Cup in 2017.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-secure-sessegnon-loan/

WhiteJC

Fulham discussing Areola loan deal

Fulham are holding discussions with Paris Saint-Germain about a potential loan move for goalkeeper Alphonse Areola, according to a Sky Sports News report.

The Whites are poised to send Marcus Bettinelli on loan to Middlesbrough this week and are now in the market for an experienced back up to Marek Rodak, who is expected to be their number one in the Premier League this season. Areola, who has won three senior caps for France, spent last season on loan at Real Madrid as part of the deal that took Keylor Navas to PSG, making nine appearances in total for the Spanish giants.

The 27 year-old was a highly rated goalkeeper in youth football, who had forged a big reputation as he came through the youth ranks at PSG. He made his league debut in 2013 and spent successive season-long loan spells with Lens, Bastia and Villarreal. Areola has made 107 senior appearances for his boyhood club, helping them win back-to-back titles in 2016/2017 and 2017/18, although he eventually lost his place in the side to summer signings.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/09/fulham-discussing-areola-loan-deal/

WhiteJC

2020/21 KITS RELEASED

FULHAM'S EAGERLY ANTICIPATED 2020/21 HOME AND AWAY KITS ARE LAUNCHED TODAY, WITH FANS ABLE TO PRE-ORDER FOR DELIVERY FROM 17TH SEPTEMBER.

Capturing the heart of the Club with an unmistakable white and black design, the 20/21 Home Shirt is a modern outfit fit for wearing on the pitch or for supporting the team.

Manufactured by Club partner adidas, the shirt features a v-neck collar with inner red lining, while the black sleeves and shoulders are reminiscent of the strip worn a decade earlier during Fulham's memorable and historic Europa League run.

The reverse of the 20/21 season shirt includes a unique detail to the Club; celebrating our iconic home Craven Cottage and showcasing the intricate detail of the ironwork located on the Cottage balcony.

Tailored for the Premier League; Fulham will wear their 20/21 Home Kit for the first time this weekend at Craven Cottage, for our season-opener against Arsenal.

Fulham's 20/21 Away Kit is an all-yellow outfit, the first entirely yellow strip worn by the Club since the 08/09 campaign.

The 20/21 Away shirt includes a detailed faded hexagon graphic across the shoulders and is made from recycled Polyester, as part of efforts to help save resources and reduce emissions.

This season's kits are part of the adidas AEROREADY range which include a structured, soft and lightweight fabric, designed for fast drying and, of course, both kits feature the iconic adidas three stripes branding.

Coinciding with the announcement of Main Team Partner BetVictor, both Home and Away strips will feature the BetVictor logo on the front of all adult shirts, as well as the playing shirts of the Club's First Team and Women's side.

Fans can pre-order the Home and Away Kits from today, available at shop.fulhamfc.com.

Shirts will be distributed from Thursday 17th September, with fans also able to purchase instore at Craven Cottage from this date.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/september/2020-21-Kits-Released/

WhiteJC

Sessegnon seals Bristol City loan switch

Young Fulham right back Steven Sessegnon has joined Bristol City on a season-long loan, it has been confirmed tonight.

The 20 year-old defender moves to Ashton Gate in order to gain regular first-team football having broken into the Fulham side at the start of last season. Sessegnon was handed his senior Fulham debut by Scott Parker in the Whites' 2-1 win at Huddersfield last August and made fifteen first-team appearances last term, but was largely used as a late substitute towards the tail end of the campaign.

The Robins, who signed Alfie Mawson on a similar loan deal earlier this week, beat off significant competition from elsewhere in the Championship to earn Sessegnon's services. Blackburn Rovers, Reading and Swansea were all keen to take the right back on loan, but Sessegnon opted to join Bristol City, chiefly due to his relationships with the club's new assistant coaches Paul Simpson and Keith Downing, who both managed the youngster during his time representing various England age group sides.

Sessegnon told the Bristol City website tonight:

"It took a while but I'm happy to be here. It's an exciting team with brilliant players and with how the league looks this year I don't see why we can't be up there, I'm looking forward to getting going.

"I want to thank the supporters for having me and I can't wait to get going. When the time comes I can't wait to see them fill up the stadium, make the noises they make and see the Cider Army!

He (Dean Holden) told me his plans and I look forward to it. It's an exciting setup here, I think I will have fun and enjoy my football."

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/09/sessegnon-seals-bristol-city-loan-switch/

WhiteJC

Fulham close to clinching Tete deal

Fulham are close to completing an audacious swoop for Lyon full back Kenny Tete, according to reports across Europe tonight.

The Whites have been searching for reinforcements at right back ever since they beat Brentford in the Championship play-off final last month. They have been heavily linked with a loan move for former Chelsea defender Ola Aina and the Torino full-back is reported to have travelled to London to conclude the deal ahead of this weekend's big kick off against Arsenal. But the move for Dutch international Tete, who was an unused substitute tonight as Holland face Italy in the Nations League, seems to have come as a big surprise.

The 24 year-old, who has won thirteen senior caps for his country, came through the Ajax youth academy having joined the Amsterdam club aged ten. Tete made 55 first-team appearances for Ajax, scoring once, and helping them reach the Europa League final in 2017 before moving to Lyon for £3.6m that summer. He has made 80 appearances for the French side, including coming on as a substitute when they knocked Manchester City out of the Champions' League at the semi-final stage this year, but has largely been a second choice. He came off the bench as Lyon began their league campaign with a 4-1 over Dijon last week.

Tete, who is apparently keen to test himself in England, is expected to have a medical in London over the next couple of days ahead of a rumoured £1.9m move.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/09/fulham-close-to-clinching-tete-deal/

WhiteJC

Where are the centre backs Fulham desperately need?

Fulham released their new kits on Monday, marking the surest sign that the 2020/21 campaign is right around the corner. But the early-season optimism and excitement is dampened by a depressing realisation – Fulham will be facing Premier League attacks with a Championship defence.

Our current failure to meaningfully strengthen at the back is an inexplicable disaster. With just four days left before the Cottagers face Arsenal, we appear set to start the season with a squad that is simply not up to the task.

Perhaps most frustrating is that the need to significantly bolster our backline was clear for all to see from the very moment we clinched promotion. The centre-back and right back positions were areas of glaring weakness. Every supporter knew we needed to invest in those areas if Fulham were to avoid a repeat of our disastrous 2018/19 campaign.

Instead, with less than a week before we kick off our return to the Premier League, our options in the heart of defence remain appallingly weak.

Michael Hector is the best of the lot, but while his steady performances at the back steered us to promotion, he has never played a minute in the top flight. The other options are poor. Tim Ream, a true club legend, flailed in the Premier League in 2018/19, even after coming off a player of the season display in 2017/18. Now two years older, Ream will be hopelessly outmatched against the division's best.

Denis Odoi was best at the right back position in the Championship last year, but was exposed two seasons ago and little suggests anything will change this time around. Rounding out the list is Maxime Le Marchand, whose cheeky chant cannot outweigh his kamikaze defending and Scott Parker's assessment that he wasn't good enough for the Championship.

And just this week, the centre-back ranks were thinned even further following Alfie Mawson's season-long loan to Bristol City.

With the exception of Arsenal on the opening day, Fulham have a series of winnable fixtures in the first month and a half of the season. While the club very well may strengthen in the next month before the window shuts on October 5, it may come too late for the Cottagers to settle in the new signings and seize on crucial matches against the likes of Aston Villa, Leeds, West Brom, Crystal Palace, and Sheffield United.

Of course, Tony Khan and the recruitment department were dealt a tough hand this summer. In a season transformed by the pandemic, there was an absurdly short time span between the end of the 2019/20 season and the start of the 2020/21 season. Made even worse was Fulham's promotion through the play-offs, granting us even less time.

To give Fulham credit, we have signed Antonee Robinson and are heavily linked with a number of right backs. But there can be no ignoring the dereliction of duty in a lack of centre-half reinforcements.

With a backline like this, Fulham will be heading straight back to the Championship. The Cottagers' weakness last time out was our inability to stop goals going in, undone by individual errors and defenders who could not handle the Premier League's elite attacks.

The sad reality is we are heading back into the lion's den with an unprepared defence. In 2018/19, we were demolished. Two years later, the defence doesn't look much better.

And for all the outrage at pundits predicting our relegation, the current state of our backline is reason enough for those dismal predictions. For now, it remains to be seen if the club can prove the doubters wrong in the coming weeks and address our defensive gaps before it is too late.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/09/where-are-the-centre-backs-fulham-desperately-need/

WhiteJC

Colchester United could hand Martell Taylor-Crossdale his debut

COLCHESTER United could hand a debut to new signing Martell Taylor-Crossdale tonight.

And head coach Steve Ball believes the striker's loan move to the U's represents a big opportunity for the youngster.

Ex-Chelsea youngster Taylor-Crossdale has joined Colchester on a season-long loan from Premier League new boys Fulham.

The 20-year-old, who has represented England at under-20, under-18, under-17 and under-16 level, is hoping to make his U's bow in his new side's EFL Trophy Group A opener at Portsmouth tonight and Colchester head coach Ball is looking forward to seeing his new signing in action.

Ball said: "It's a big chance for Martell.

"He's a young boy and he's got to get used to the physical league very quickly but that's why I signed him, to come here and get involved.

"He's an on-the-shoulder striker who runs in behind and stays central.

"He scored loads of goals for Chelsea at youth level and he now just has to translate that into league football."

Colchester will be looking to reproduce their impressive first-half performance at Reading for the whole of the 90 minutes at Portsmouth tonight.

The U's led their Championship hosts 1-0 at the Madejski Stadium thanks to Jevani Brown's opener, before Lucas Joao's hat-trick sent the Royals through.

Colchester's trip to Fratton Park is the second game in a busy week for the club and boss Ball admits that will influence his thinking when he picks his starting line-up to take on Pompey.

He said: "There's three games in seven days and I'm managing the squad very carefully.

"With the depth of the squad, there will be players who play those three games.

"But I'm going to look to make changes on Tuesday night, for sure and keeping working the squad as much as I can for the game on Saturday.

"I go into this game having seen lots of things (at Reading) that give me a really good feeling about it.

"We had a bit of a deep press; not too deep but a 30-yard trigger point to go and press them and I thought we frustrated them.

"The plan was working well and it's great when you see the work on the training pitch come to fruition.

"I think we're good at that, when you look at the games we had last year against the big teams like Tottenham, Palace, even Man U for an hour.

"It's nice to have that because I think we're that fluid team going forward but also having that defensive quality is also so important.

"I gave Miquel Scarlett is full debut, Noah Chilvers started too and we brought on Marley (Marshall-Miranda).

"I'm not going to put them in, if they're not good enough.

"That's really come out of me so far; these boys have taken their opportunity really well in pre-season and that will continue."

Luke Gambin is set to return to the Colchester squad having been away with Malta on international duty but Luke Norris, Tom Lapslie and Diaz Wright are all sidelined through injury.

A Colchester XI will travel to play Maldon and Tiptree in a pre-season friendly tonight.

The U's will visit Park Drive to take on the Jammers, kick-off 7.30pm.

The number of spectators permitted for the game will be capped at 400, in line with the Government's Covid-19 guidelines.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/18703085.colchester-united-hand-martell-taylor-crossdale-debut/

WhiteJC

BetVictor agrees Fulham front-of-shirt sponsorship

Fulham FC has confirmed that Gibraltar betting group BetVictor will serve as its 'main team sponsor until the summer of 2022'.

Agreeing terms on a two-year sponsorship, the BetVictor brand will be displayed on the front of Fulham's first team and women's playing kits.In addition, the bookmaker will be named as the club's main team partner, with its logo also being displayed on adult replica shirts.

Fulham FC will kick-off the Premier League's 2020/2021 season, playing against Arsenal at Craven Cottage this Saturday (12.30 – BT Sport 1).

BetVictor CEO Andreas Meinrad commented: "We're really excited to be teaming up with Fulham FC and are confident of a successful season ahead for both of us.

"The Premier League always provides compelling drama. We know how much football means to our customers and we share their enthusiasm for the beautiful game. It's all eyes on Craven Cottage for Saturday's big kick-off."

Further to being featured on the playing kits, BetVictor branding will also be displayed around Craven Cottage during match days as well as across the club's website and social media platforms.

Alistair Mackintosh, Fulham CEO, added: "We welcome BetVictor on board as our Main Team Partner and look forward to working with them this season as we begin our Premier League campaign against Arsenal at Craven Cottage this weekend.

"BetVictor shares our passion for success and we hope to develop our relationship further throughout the duration of the partnership, in order to achieve and exceed our goals."

https://www.sbcnews.co.uk/marketing/2020/09/08/betvictor-agrees-fulham-front-of-shirt-sponsorship/

alfie

Quote from: whitejc on September 08, 2020, 09:22:30 AM
Where are the centre backs Fulham desperately need?

Fulham released their new kits on Monday, marking the surest sign that the 2020/21 campaign is right around the corner. But the early-season optimism and excitement is dampened by a depressing realisation – Fulham will be facing Premier League attacks with a Championship defence.

Our current failure to meaningfully strengthen at the back is an inexplicable disaster. With just four days left before the Cottagers face Arsenal, we appear set to start the season with a squad that is simply not up to the task.

Perhaps most frustrating is that the need to significantly bolster our backline was clear for all to see from the very moment we clinched promotion. The centre-back and right back positions were areas of glaring weakness. Every supporter knew we needed to invest in those areas if Fulham were to avoid a repeat of our disastrous 2018/19 campaign.

Instead, with less than a week before we kick off our return to the Premier League, our options in the heart of defence remain appallingly weak.

Michael Hector is the best of the lot, but while his steady performances at the back steered us to promotion, he has never played a minute in the top flight. The other options are poor. Tim Ream, a true club legend, flailed in the Premier League in 2018/19, even after coming off a player of the season display in 2017/18. Now two years older, Ream will be hopelessly outmatched against the division's best.

Denis Odoi was best at the right back position in the Championship last year, but was exposed two seasons ago and little suggests anything will change this time around. Rounding out the list is Maxime Le Marchand, whose cheeky chant cannot outweigh his kamikaze defending and Scott Parker's assessment that he wasn't good enough for the Championship.

And just this week, the centre-back ranks were thinned even further following Alfie Mawson's season-long loan to Bristol City.

With the exception of Arsenal on the opening day, Fulham have a series of winnable fixtures in the first month and a half of the season. While the club very well may strengthen in the next month before the window shuts on October 5, it may come too late for the Cottagers to settle in the new signings and seize on crucial matches against the likes of Aston Villa, Leeds, West Brom, Crystal Palace, and Sheffield United.

Of course, Tony Khan and the recruitment department were dealt a tough hand this summer. In a season transformed by the pandemic, there was an absurdly short time span between the end of the 2019/20 season and the start of the 2020/21 season. Made even worse was Fulham's promotion through the play-offs, granting us even less time.

To give Fulham credit, we have signed Antonee Robinson and are heavily linked with a number of right backs. But there can be no ignoring the dereliction of duty in a lack of centre-half reinforcements.

With a backline like this, Fulham will be heading straight back to the Championship. The Cottagers' weakness last time out was our inability to stop goals going in, undone by individual errors and defenders who could not handle the Premier League's elite attacks.

The sad reality is we are heading back into the lion's den with an unprepared defence. In 2018/19, we were demolished. Two years later, the defence doesn't look much better.

And for all the outrage at pundits predicting our relegation, the current state of our backline is reason enough for those dismal predictions. For now, it remains to be seen if the club can prove the doubters wrong in the coming weeks and address our defensive gaps before it is too late.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/09/where-are-the-centre-backs-fulham-desperately-need/
Totally agree but, are there any decent cb's available that are better than what we have, the word to emphasise here is "available"
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't