watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Record Sale of £33 Million for a Championship Player

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, September 09, 2020, 12:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeeeeeeeeed

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8713673/Aston-Villa-complete-stunning-33m-signing-Ollie-Watkins-Brentford.html

If you had a time machine you could go back 20 years and buy Zinedine Zidane for less.

That's a heck of a lot of dosh for a Championship Player.

copthornemike

Still an excellent striker, and if he scores regularly will be worth it to them.
Scores with either foot & headers as well so more difficult for teams to organise defensively.

fulhamben

I'm gonna dispute that. Didn't Newcastle sell a player for like 50 million. Yes they had just been relegated but were technically a championship team
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

FFC1987

Quote from: copthornemike on September 09, 2020, 12:22:37 PM
Still an excellent striker, and if he scores regularly will be worth it to them.
Scores with either foot & headers as well so more difficult for teams to organise defensively.

We'll see. I think thats a staggeringly high sum for him personally. Think he'll struggle.

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 09, 2020, 12:26:10 PM

We'll see. I think thats a staggeringly high sum for him personally. Think he'll struggle.
must make mitro 40 plus

Andy S

That is a lot of pressure and he might take a long time to adjust. However if they have money to risk and it is a big risk then they could easily come unstuck. When we went up two years ago Mitro was I; that position and it didn't save us. All you can say is good luck

Statto

If he was five years younger and/or had done it in consecutive seasons, I'd understand. But to have had one good season, in a team where goals came very easily, and he still wasn't even the most prolific striker in the division, sorry but Villa have had their trousers pulled down there.

Also worth noting Matt Smith and Cauley Woodrow both got 13/14 goals this season, and Smith scored more goals/minute than Watkins. Got to assume one of them would have got 20+ goals in that Brentford team

Tabby

Quote from: fulhamben on September 09, 2020, 12:30:10 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on September 09, 2020, 12:26:10 PM

must make mitro 40 plus
Newcastle paid that for Joelinton. £40 million strikers aren't what they used to be.

bill taylors apprentice

Almost makes Ross McCormack look a good deal for £12 million!

General

If it works out for them then it will be worth it. He's young and can score with both feet and his head. I would've liked to have seen us sign him as I think with the right service he'll get goals.

That said £33m is a lot and he's a risk. I assume dean who manages villa and who's managed Watkins at brentford must know they can work well together. If they continue to stay up it could also be worth it.

Have a feeling he could do well partnering with Grealish.

We still need to sign a premiership quality winger, striker, Cb and rb.

Don't know what Tony is doing but he's clearly missed out on a lot of deals that we were reported to have been in discussions with. Do we want to stay in the league?

Statto

Quote from: General on September 09, 2020, 12:39:52 PM
Don't know what Tony is doing but he's clearly missed out on a lot of deals that we were reported to have been in discussions with. Do we want to stay in the league?

Really? Where I've heard specific rumours from reputable journos, we've either signed the player, or the negotiations appear to still be underway.

Bill2

Quote from: General on September 09, 2020, 12:39:52 PM
If it works out for them then it will be worth it. He's young and can score with both feet and his head. I would've liked to have seen us sign him as I think with the right service he'll get goals.

That said £33m is a lot and he's a risk. I assume dean who manages villa and who's managed Watkins at brentford must know they can work well together. If they continue to stay up it could also be worth it.

Have a feeling he could do well partnering with Grealish.

We still need to sign a premiership quality winger, striker, Cb and rb.

not sure he didn't Impress me in the play off game once you understood their playing style.

rebel

ChesterTheTabby

Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

gang

Well, what would Frank Large cost today?
😂🤣😂

NJFulham

Exeter has a 20% sellon clause. That's why it's so high.

fulhamben

Quote from: NJFulham on September 09, 2020, 01:20:57 PM
Exeter has a 20% sellon clause. That's why it's so high.
wow, good for them. 6 and a half million Brucey for them. Hope the chairman doesn't pocket it

ALG01

Lordedmundo

Quote from: ALG01 on September 09, 2020, 01:35:58 PM
I wanted watkins but do feel the fee is excessive.

That's an understatement! Apparently the fee is 'only' around £28m before add ons. He is worth £10-12m tops! Makes the amount we paid for Seri almost seem reasonable..

deadcowboys

Am i right in thinking Villa signed the last "great" Brentford striker Hogan? Don't think that went too well!