watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

1-0 full time ...my thoughts

Started by jayffc, September 16, 2020, 09:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayffc

A little underwhelming in terms of excitement but we controlled the game and dominated without really creating anything to write home about.

Some seem to disagree but I've actually been enthused by Lemina's will to move the ball quickly and forward as much as possible. He holds himself like a player with class, hopefully, with fitness- he backs that up... A bit wayward at times with his passing but his first game of the season, at least he tries some unexpected balls forward and seems able and willing to create from deep. Something we lack is an eye for a splitting pass and I think he may have that in his locker. I suspect there's more to come from him and like the idea of persevering with him and Frank for a bit. We may well start with Reed and Frank in the next game but I wouldn't mind him getting another run out.

Tete seems tidy enough in defence, heard he's more that than he is an attacking full back so that's about all we can ask for, plus a great assist for the goal. Not bad on his debut. In the games when we need more forward momentum perhaps we'll see Aina play.

For someone who cuts inside and shoots so much you'd think Knock were learn how to keep the ball below the crossbar, yet it happens 9.9 times out of 10.

Frank has the class of a top baller about him, let's hope he stays and locks down the DM/CM role.

We definitely need a CB, Odoi, god love his effort, ain't it an accident and game costing misplaced past waiting to happen, I understand hes a good utility player but a new extended deal to him seems way off for me, I guess it's just reward for helping us get promoted but he should be versatile back up we hope not to have to use and nothing more this season. MLM solid enough against Ipswich but again, hasn't proved the answer before.

BDR....still yet to do anything that justifies what we paid for him, a huge waste of funds for me. Shame, he came with a decent reputation.

Thought Robinson was OK, can't explain it but gut instinct was he just felt very championship level to me, put in some balls into decent areas but not anywhere near where our actual players were... At least he tried to get forward, looked a little un match fit so jury is out until he's firing on all cylanders. Didn't have lightening pace, moves reasonably quickly but nothing that will terrify top-level full-backs. I've seen plenty worse debuts and he showed something at least, willing to get forward. Certainly seems Bryans spot to lose though on tonights showing.

In honesty, once we sign a CB I feel like we need an entirely new attack.
CAM and 2 wingers.

Cairney - Far too negative and lacking in intent these days, feels very stale
Knockaert - tries hard, but end product non existant
Kebano-I love him , but he was shocking tonight and is a long, long way from a Prem standard player imo, if we are startin Kebano in the Prem come the end of the window, TK deserves a large aount of stick.
Cav- file under hugely underwhelming so far.
Josh O - Improved towards the end of the last season but the jury is still out on if he can step up.

That's not a threatening looking attack as things stand.

That means we're relying FAR too much on Mitro to do it all on scraps. Yikes.

I genuinely would sell any of Knock, Cav and BDR at this point if an offer came in that allowed us to put it towards improving those positions. None of them have impressed me for any sustained period and think we can do better. Not one for this whole "keep em together for morale" shtick...if they weren't good enough last year together, nothing is suggesting that's changing any time soon.

Be it Cabral, Lookman, King, The Norwich kid etc We simply HAVE to improve going forward or we're going to be doomed. No wonder we've been so focussed on praying for improvements at the back as we look so lacklustre going forward that we are needing to concede so much less to have any hope of winning games in the Prem.

IF we sign Tah or another high level CB. A Back 7 of -

Areola
Tete, Hector, Tah/?? ,Bryan
Anguiss Reed/Lemina

actually feels good enough for me. But god help us going forward with these options outside of Mitro- and even he can go for long periods of stagnation when he's not getting any support.

Over to you Scot Tony and the scouting team. Surely they have to see what we all can at this point

onwards
COYW

blingo

bill taylors apprentice

Jim©

Thought kebano looked 20 times better than Mitro tonight,,despite his goal. His touch was off, he didn't get close to one of the ten balls whipped across.
Need much more from him, perhaps competition will be good for him too.

AnOldBrownie

Fair...thought you were a bit harsh on Antonee considering that other than Mitro he's trying to get the ball into Knock or BDR, who we both agree aren't good enough at the EPL level, and weren't impressive in the Championship last season.

Oh,  and Antonee has way more pace than Joe.    It just happens that Ipwich is quick on their right flank.

Good breakdown though.  I'm going to have to go back and watch Lemina exclusively.  Maybe I was too harsh.

We Are Premier League

From Arsenal too Leeds, I would only make 2 changes.

Mitro and Tete in
Kebano and Odoi out

General

Quote from: Jim© on September 16, 2020, 09:23:49 PM
Thought kebano looked 20 times better than Mitro tonight,,despite his goal. His touch was off, he didn't get close to one of the ten balls whipped across.

He's lacking match fitness - he hasn't played a full game in a while.

Deeping_white

I agree that we need a proper attacking mid - why I'm keen on Boetius because he's an attacking midfielder who can also play out wide if needed. I also have a feeling they'll use Aina further forward so that might solve some of the winger issues. Would agree that currently we need a Josh King type & attacking midfielder plus a winger if we can find one without breaking the bank, after we've got two good CB's. I just don't see Kebano and Knocky making runs that penetrate the opposition, so many times Lemina brought the ball out from deep and essentially looked up and thought f*ck me there's no movement from out wide to make a penetrating pass.

Also think that as much as he tries to break the lines and link the front 3 and midfield, BDR won't cut it at the PL level. We need someone with high energy who can create chances and pop up in pockets of space to stretch teams, and I think with Anguissa and Lemina tonight you had two CM's capable of finding someone making those spaces.

jayffc

Agree to a point, yet when the ball does Mitro in the box, he's lethal and that's why he's there. But agree his movement. atm could improve, that said I think he's always been best when he has wingers that bomb to the byline and cut back to his feet or head. That's the best formula for success with him (as seen when we had Fredericks) and that's just not a thing we've been doing for years.

Sadly I thought Kebano did next to nothing going forward and wether he was better than another player who also underperformed (but still scored) is neither here nor there in the discussion of where we need to improve. Granted, he is a threat from freekicks and that was his best moment tonight coming close again...But outside of that he's not going to worry many defences in the Prem this year.

Bryanthebroom

I want to say that you're being harsh - but can't really disagree with anything.

Having gone back and watched the Arsenal game again, I think I was a bit harsh on Cairney. He's not driving into the box so much anymore, but maybe that's because he's playing a different role?

Agree with AnOldBrownie, thought you were being a bit harsh on Antonee. Thought he looked different class going forward, even if his balls didn't find anyone.

I want to get on the Zambo wagon, but I'm not quite there yet. He'll muscle someone off the ball, or carry off a great bit of skill - then give a 5 yard pass away cheaply. Maybe he's just not quite match fit - but think that kind of thing is really going to hurt us in the prem.

EDIT: Also, I agree that we need another attacking mid. For me, Onomah was our worst player at the weekend. Rubbish at closing down and didn't offer much on the ball. Coasted through the game.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: We Are Premier League on September 16, 2020, 09:26:02 PM

Mitro, Anguissa, Robinson and Tete in
Kebano, Onomah, Bryan and Odoi out

That's what I'd change.  If it's about getting our best players on the pitch...overall I rate Anguissa and Robinson over Onomah and Bryan.

Mind...I hope at some point Onomah takes Tom's spot...but right now I think Tom can play well with Anguissa.

jayffc

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on September 16, 2020, 09:25:31 PM
Fair...thought you were a bit harsh on Antonee considering that other than Mitro he's trying to get the ball into Knock or BDR, who we both agree aren't good enough at the EPL level, and weren't impressive in the Championship last season.

Oh,  and Antonee has way more pace than Joe.    It just happens that Ipwich is quick on their right flank.

Good breakdown though.  I'm going to have to go back and watch Lemina exclusively.  Maybe I was too harsh.

I think Lemina was a little sloppy at times and did get caught out in moments, but for me he showed flashes of a player with a "great footballing brain" trying out passes that, had they come off, would see us move defence to attack in a more dynamic way than we do far too often. So I'm hopeful. As he's not been playing too regularly I'm definately interested to see him given more chances. Not perfect and some of those sloppy passes may be punished in the prem but I'd rather he was given a chance V Leeds than Man City to dust off the cobwebs!

I hear you about Antonee, I don't think he was poor, I just didn't feel particularly excited by him considering the opposition we were up against...which I was really hoping to. Jury is out and I'm rooting for him to get to the level that saw Milan interested. Hopefully that happens, but for now I don't know that he necessarily did enough to see Bryan dropped just yet. Would love to be wrong on my initial gut feeling, interested for him to get a shot if Bryan falls short and well up for him proving he's a top level talent. So we shall see with match fitness how that goes.

jayffc

Quote from: We Are Premier League on September 16, 2020, 09:26:02 PM

Mitro and Tete in
Kebano and Odoi out

I'd make the above changes.
+ start Anguissa
+ I wouldnt be mad if we gave Lemina another shot alongside Frank. If it's not working out Reed (who played brilliantly last year but had a stinker vs Arsenal) comes straight back in. As I say, Happy for Reed to hold his place, but just would understand trying to get the best out of Lemina, because if he finds the heights of what I suspect he's capable of - he could turn out to be an absolute steal.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: General on September 16, 2020, 09:27:10 PM

Mitro played 180 minutes for Serbia during the international break, which is why he was deemed unable to start for us vs. Arsenal. Which makes it odd to play him today in a low-meaning cup match with a league match three days from now, but that's another story.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: jayffc on September 16, 2020, 09:16:27 PM
A little underwhelming in terms of excitement but we controlled the game and dominated without really creating anything to write home about.

Some seem to disagree but I've actually been enthused by Lemina's will to move the ball quickly and forward as much as possible. He holds himself like a player with class, hopefully, with fitness- he backs that up... A bit wayward at times with his passing but his first game of the season, at least he tries some unexpected balls forward and seems able and willing to create from deep. Something we lack is an eye for a splitting pass and I think he may have that in his locker. I suspect there's more to come from him and like the idea of persevering with him and Frank for a bit. We may well start with Reed and Frank in the next game but I wouldn't mind him getting another run out.

Tete seems tidy enough in defence, heard he's more that than he is an attacking full back so that's about all we can ask for, plus a great assist for the goal. Not bad on his debut. In the games when we need more forward momentum perhaps we'll see Aina play.

For someone who cuts inside and shoots so much you'd think Knock were learn how to keep the ball below the crossbar, yet it happens 9.9 times out of 10.

Frank has the class of a top baller about him, let's hope he stays and locks down the DM/CM role.

We definitely need a CB, Odoi, god love his effort, ain't it an accident and game costing misplaced past waiting to happen, I understand hes a good utility player but a new extended deal to him seems way off for me, I guess it's just reward for helping us get promoted but he should be versatile back up we hope not to have to use and nothing more this season. MLM solid enough against Ipswich but again, hasn't proved the answer before.

BDR....still yet to do anything that justifies what we paid for him, a huge waste of funds for me. Shame, he came with a decent reputation.

Thought Robinson was OK, can't explain it but gut instinct was he just felt very championship level to me, put in some balls into decent areas but not anywhere near where our actual players were... At least he tried to get forward, looked a little un match fit so jury is out until he's firing on all cylanders. Didn't have lightening pace, moves reasonably quickly but nothing that will terrify top-level full-backs. I've seen plenty worse debuts and he showed something at least, willing to get forward. Certainly seems Bryans spot to lose though on tonights showing.

CAM and 2 wingers.

Kebano-I love him , but he was shocking tonight and is a long, long way from a Prem standard player imo, if we are startin Kebano in the Prem come the end of the window, TK deserves a large aount of stick.
Josh O - Improved towards the end of the last season but the jury is still out on if he can step up.

I genuinely would sell any of Knock, Cav and BDR at this point if an offer came in that allowed us to put it towards improving those positions. None of them have impressed me for any sustained period and think we can do better. Not one for this whole "keep em together for morale" shtick...if they weren't good enough last year together, nothing is suggesting that's changing any time soon.

Be it Cabral, Lookman, King, The Norwich kid etc We simply HAVE to improve going forward or we're going to be doomed. No wonder we've been so focussed on praying for improvements at the back as we look so lacklustre going forward that we are needing to concede so much less to have any hope of winning games in the Prem.

Areola
Anguiss Reed/Lemina

actually feels good enough for me. But god help us going forward with these options outside of Mitro- and even he can go for long periods of stagnation when he's not getting any support.

Over to you Scot Tony and the scouting team. Surely they have to see what we all can at this point

onwards
COYW

Agree with most of this, but I think you're a bit harsh on Kebano. He's the only player we have that can dribble past players. Definitely no worse than Knockert, BDR or Cav.

jayffc

Quote from: Bryanthebroom on September 16, 2020, 09:32:21 PM
I want to say that you're being harsh - but can't really disagree with anything.

Having gone back and watched the Arsenal game again, I think I was a bit harsh on Cairney. He's not driving into the box so much anymore, but maybe that's because he's playing a different role?

Agree with AnOldBrownie, thought you were being a bit harsh on Antonee. Thought he looked different class going forward, even if his balls didn't find anyone.

I want to get on the Zambo wagon, but I'm not quite there yet. He'll muscle someone off the ball, or carry off a great bit of skill - then give a 5 yard pass away cheaply. Maybe he's just not quite match fit - but think that kind of thing is really going to hurt us in the prem.

EDIT: Also, I agree that we need another attacking mid. For me, Onomah was our worst player at the weekend. Rubbish at closing down and didn't offer much on the ball. Coasted through the game.

Fair do's, I'm by no means writing him off, just didn't find him to be as explosive as I was hoping he might be I guess. Perhaps if I watched it back again I'd feel differently. The balls into the box for instance that were lauded by the commentators- I thought were great crosses -had anyone been making that run, or even seen to be making that run, but there didnt appear any indication that those runs were what the forward players were looking for so the crosses werent actually anywhere near where our players were. Appreciate its subjective who is to blame for that I suppose. First game and perhaps as they get to know eachother that will change. I'm hopeful that he'll have what it takes and never one to write a player off completely so early.

Sting of the North

Quote from: General on September 16, 2020, 09:27:10 PM

Didn't he play two full games for Serbia very recently?

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 16, 2020, 09:51:13 PM

CAM and 2 wingers.

Areola
Anguiss Reed/Lemina

onwards
COYW

Agree with most of this, but I think you're a bit harsh on Kebano. He's the only player we have that can dribble past players. Definitely no worse than Knockert, BDR or Cav.

Agree.  Unfortunately I think we need a much better version of exactly what Kebano provides...on BOTH wings.    :012:

jayffc

CAM and 2 wingers.

Areola
Anguiss Reed/Lemina

onwards
COYW

I love this guy as a character, and he works hard for the club, great fulham man, but considering this was Ipswich, he struggled to be productive (yes as did the others mentioned). Again, comparing him to Knockaert or BDR or Cav is neither here nor there when I feel that all of those are also poor (or certainly have been to this point) thats kind of my point in fairness. If Kebano is the best we have I don't think that bodes well for a season in the Premier League. Do you? Again it pains me to say that because I think he's a great character and works his socks off and has contributed well enough when called upon over the years (especially towards the end of last season) and I hope he suddenly becomes unplayed in the prem, but I just don't really see that happening

jayffc

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on September 16, 2020, 09:56:13 PM

CAM and 2 wingers.

Areola
Anguiss Reed/Lemina

onwards
COYW

Agree.  Unfortunately I think we need a much better version of exactly what Kebano provides...on BOTH wings.    :012:

Are Cabral and Lookman the answer? I hope so but know only limited things about both.
Agree, I like what kebano tries to do, take on players and make things happen, but we need someone who can do it consistantly at the top level.