https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 18/09/20...

Started by WhiteJC, September 17, 2020, 01:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bencher

Quote from: whitejc on September 17, 2020, 01:35:18 PM
Female football pundit sparks sexism row by calling Fulham manager 'total fox'

Fox Sports analyst and ex-Arsenal ladies star Heather O'Reilly, 35, was branded "inappropriate" after gushing over the 39-year-old dad-of-four Scott Parker on social media

A female football pundit has sparked a sexism row after calling Fulham manager Scott Parker "a total fox".

Ex- Arsenal ladies star Heather O'Reilly, 35, was branded "inappropriate" after gushing over the 39-year-old dad-of-four on social media.

The mum-of-one Fox Sports analyst's tweet drew mixed reactions from fans who claimed feminists would be "calling for her head" if she was male.

She said: "I know I'm a married woman and I don't mean any disrespect. But Scott Parker is total fox. #arsenal #fulham"

Many agreed with her and she replied "drip drip" after ex-England ladies star Eniola Aluko commented: "Thirsty."

Linda Gancitano wrote: "You are not kidding! Handsome!"

Christine Diana added: "Very much yes."

But others branded the ex-Arsenal Ladies star's tweet "inappropriate".

Arsenal fan Graham Williams told The Sun: "If Alan Shearer commented on how fit a woman footballer was, you'd have feminists storming the Match of the Day studio calling for his head."

Meanwhile, the Government has been urged to tackle "deeply misogynistic behaviours" in British sport.

Pontypridd MP Alex Davies-Jones told the Commons: "I am particularly concerned that fears around misogyny is having an impact on the number of women participating in sport.

"If we are to reduce misogyny and sexism within sport, then we must do more to encourage variety at the first opportunity. A huge part of this battle lies with us all – we all have a responsibility to call out misogyny and sexism."

Women in Sport estimates 1.5 million fewer women than men participate in sport at least once a month.

The charity also reports on gender gaps in the number of women working in sport at every level.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/female-football-pundit-sparks-sexism-22697476

Maybe we ought to bring Parker out of retirement and play him up front; we could certainly use a fox in the box

General

Quote from: whitejc on September 18, 2020, 08:40:27 AM
Michael Owen states his prediction for Leeds United v Fulham
Michael Owen is backing Leeds United to secure a comfortable win against Fulham at Elland Road on Saturday afternoon

Michael Owen is backing Leeds United to secure a comfortable win against Fulham at Elland Road on Saturday afternoon.

Leeds lost 4-3 to defending Premier League champions Liverpool FC in their first top-flight fixture in 16 years following their promotion.

Although Marcelo Bielsa's side suffered a narrow loss to the Reds at Anfield, the Championship winners were widely praised for their plucky performance.

Leeds will take on a Fulham side that lost 3-0 to Arsenal in their first Premier League fixture as Scott Parker's team endured a chastening return to top-flight football.

The Cottagers were 1-0 winners against Ipswich Town in the League Cup on Thursday night, while Leeds United suffered a defeat by Hull City on penalties.

Fulham lost 3-0 to Leeds United in this fixture in the Championship last term as the Yorkshire side won the title with a 10-point cushion.

Former Liverpool FC striker Owen is backing Leeds United to secure a comfortable win against Fulham at Elland Road on Saturday afternoon.

"Leeds announced their return to the Premier League with a bang!" Owen told BetVictor.

"They were very impressive indeed against Premier League champions Liverpool and only an 88th-minute penalty from Mo Salah denied them a point that many will say they deserved.

"With their style of play, Marcelo Bielsa and his men will cause problems for any team in the Premier League and it's going to be hugely entertaining to watch their progress this season.

"Fulham were another of three promoted sides to face defeat in their opening game after a chastening 3-0 loss to Arsenal.

"Scott Parker will be keen to get his new signings involved as well as getting Aleksander Mitrovic back to full fitness as a lack of goals upfront and a leaky defence at the back are quite frankly, a Premier League recipe for disaster.

"I fancy another lively display from Leeds in this one and I'm going for a 3-1 victory to the Whites in their first Premier League home game since 2004."

Fulham were 2-1 winners against Leeds United at Craven Cottage last term, before the Elland Road side secured a 3-0 victory over the west London side in the Championship last time.

The Cottagers have won two of their last 10 games against Leeds United, while the two sides have shared the spoils on seven occasions during this run.

Leeds United will make the trip to Sheffield United in their final Premier League fixture in Sunday 27 September, while Fulham will host Aston Villa at Craven Cottage on Monday 28 September.

https://www.thesportreview.com/2020/09/leeds-united-v-fulham-prediction-michael-owen/

Is it just me who thinks it's extremely strange that everyone's having Leeds down to thrash us? We lost to them 3-0 in the second game back after lockdown (and had lost to Brentford just before that), but as proven by the playoff final - there's a huge difference to the team who lost the two games and then went on an unbeaten run afterwards.

Leeds haven't improved their squad that much (i'd argue we've improved more) and as this article says and implies, we've only lost 1 in our last 10 against them.  I know they seem to be the media darlings (like we were when we went up and like Brentford were before the playoff final), but the hype does seem just a bit over the top.

Have no idea how the game will go, but if Tete starts for instance (which is looking very likely) and perhaps Lemina and Anguissa, we're already a markedly different and arguably better team. Plus when we lost to Arsenal, Mitro didn't start. They also gave away two penalties, which in any normal context would've been deemed disastrous defending by most sets of fans.

WhiteJC

Fresh details emerge as Nottingham Forest edge closer to signing of Premier League player

According to Football Insider, Cyrus Christie is set to join Nottingham Forest on a loan deal, with the full-back set to undergo a medical ahead of a move to the City Ground.

BBC Radio Nottingham broke the news yesterday that Forest are close to completing the signing of Christie, who won promotion to the Premier League with Fulham last term.

The 27-year-old made 30 appearances for the Cottagers last season, helping Scott Parker's side make an immediate return to the Premier League via the Championship play-offs.

But the right-back now looks set to join Forest, as Sabri Lamouchi looks to replace Matty Cash following the full-back's recent £16million move to Aston Villa.

Football Insider have now provided fresh details on Christie's impending move to the City Ground, with BBC Radio Nottingham failing to reveal whether he'll be arriving on a permanent basis or on a loan deal.

They claim that Christie will be joining Forest on loan from Craven Cottage, with a medical set to take place before the weekend.

It remains to be seen whether Forest will have an option to buy Christie at the end of his loan spell, with the Reds including the option to do so when recently signing Luke Freeman on loan from Sheffield United.

The Verdict

It wouldn't surprise me if Forest do sign Christie on a loan-to-buy basis – that seems to be a safe option.

Christie only has one year left on his contract at Craven Cottage, so there is every chance that Forest could get him for a cut-price.

They already have Jordan Gabriel, Tendayi Darikwa and Carl Jenkinson at the club, but Christie is a player who knows how to win promotion.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fresh-details-emerge-as-nottingham-forest-edge-closer-to-signing-of-premier-league-player/

The Rock

Quote from: General on September 18, 2020, 02:20:46 PM
Quote from: whitejc on September 18, 2020, 08:40:27 AM
Michael Owen states his prediction for Leeds United v Fulham
Michael Owen is backing Leeds United to secure a comfortable win against Fulham at Elland Road on Saturday afternoon

Michael Owen is backing Leeds United to secure a comfortable win against Fulham at Elland Road on Saturday afternoon.

Leeds lost 4-3 to defending Premier League champions Liverpool FC in their first top-flight fixture in 16 years following their promotion.

Although Marcelo Bielsa's side suffered a narrow loss to the Reds at Anfield, the Championship winners were widely praised for their plucky performance.

Leeds will take on a Fulham side that lost 3-0 to Arsenal in their first Premier League fixture as Scott Parker's team endured a chastening return to top-flight football.

The Cottagers were 1-0 winners against Ipswich Town in the League Cup on Thursday night, while Leeds United suffered a defeat by Hull City on penalties.

Fulham lost 3-0 to Leeds United in this fixture in the Championship last term as the Yorkshire side won the title with a 10-point cushion.

Former Liverpool FC striker Owen is backing Leeds United to secure a comfortable win against Fulham at Elland Road on Saturday afternoon.

"Leeds announced their return to the Premier League with a bang!" Owen told BetVictor.

"They were very impressive indeed against Premier League champions Liverpool and only an 88th-minute penalty from Mo Salah denied them a point that many will say they deserved.

"With their style of play, Marcelo Bielsa and his men will cause problems for any team in the Premier League and it's going to be hugely entertaining to watch their progress this season.

"Fulham were another of three promoted sides to face defeat in their opening game after a chastening 3-0 loss to Arsenal.

"Scott Parker will be keen to get his new signings involved as well as getting Aleksander Mitrovic back to full fitness as a lack of goals upfront and a leaky defence at the back are quite frankly, a Premier League recipe for disaster.

"I fancy another lively display from Leeds in this one and I'm going for a 3-1 victory to the Whites in their first Premier League home game since 2004."

Fulham were 2-1 winners against Leeds United at Craven Cottage last term, before the Elland Road side secured a 3-0 victory over the west London side in the Championship last time.

The Cottagers have won two of their last 10 games against Leeds United, while the two sides have shared the spoils on seven occasions during this run.

Leeds United will make the trip to Sheffield United in their final Premier League fixture in Sunday 27 September, while Fulham will host Aston Villa at Craven Cottage on Monday 28 September.

https://www.thesportreview.com/2020/09/leeds-united-v-fulham-prediction-michael-owen/

Is it just me who thinks it's extremely strange that everyone's having Leeds down to thrash us? We lost to them 3-0 in the second game back after lockdown (and had lost to Brentford just before that), but as proven by the playoff final - there's a huge difference to the team who lost the two games and then went on an unbeaten run afterwards.

Leeds haven't improved their squad that much (i'd argue we've improved more) and as this article says and implies, we've only lost 1 in our last 10 against them.  I know they seem to be the media darlings (like we were when we went up and like Brentford were before the playoff final), but the hype does seem just a bit over the top.

Have no idea how the game will go, but if Tete starts for instance (which is looking very likely) and perhaps Lemina and Anguissa, we're already a markedly different and arguably better team. Plus when we lost to Arsenal, Mitro didn't start. They also gave away two penalties, which in any normal context would've been deemed disastrous defending by most sets of fans.

That Leeds match was the last one with Mitro when he got suspended for his shove on Ben White - so essentially we are the same side, with a few changes as you have noted. Bielsa had us sussed. I'd expect a different approach from SP tomorrow having learnt from our last meeting. If not we will lose 3-0 again. I am not sure we can adapt and overcome that differential from our last meeting and do think it will be closer, 2-1 Leeds perhaps.

Time will tell.