watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Nfr American football help

Started by fulhamben, September 25, 2020, 09:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

Ok so just watched Tony and I'm presuming he was at the jags ground. So I looked how they were doing, not well is the answer. Then I looked at their fixtures, how the hell does it work, there are four groups of four but then the jags played Miami who aren't in their league so I thought maybe they play everyone once, but then it looks like they are playing the titans 3 times this year. So can anyone tell me how on gods earth it works. 
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: fulhamben on September 25, 2020, 09:22:05 PM
Ok so just watched Tony and I'm presuming he was at the jags ground. So I looked how they were doing, not well is the answer. Then I looked at their fixtures, how the hell does it work, there are four groups of four but then the jags played Miami who aren't in their league so I thought maybe they play everyone once, but then it looks like they are playing the titans 3 times this year. So can anyone tell me how on gods earth it works. 

There are 4 divisions in each conference. You play the other teams in your division twice, so 6 games. Then you traditionally play all the other teams who finished in the same place in the entire conference once (2), then you get every team in two other divisions(8). This rotates every 3 years.

It looks like the Jags are playing the NFC North and AFC North this year w the Chargers and Dolphins being the same placed teams.

Long story short, NFL schedules are never fair.

love4ffc

Quote from: WolverineFFC on September 25, 2020, 09:33:11 PM

There are 4 divisions in each conference. You play the other teams in your division twice, so 6 games. Then you traditionally play all the other teams who finished in the same place in the entire conference once (2), then you get every team in two other divisions(8). This rotates every 3 years.

It looks like the Jags are playing the NFC North and AFC North this year w the Chargers and Dolphins being the same placed teams.

And way too complicated. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

fulhamben

thanks.

MayoDomo

NFL schedules are not perfectly fair like the Premier League.

Only 16 games, you play everyone in your small group (division) twice, and then from there you play 10 other games that as far as I know are somewhat random. I think there's a focus on certain divisions lining up to play games against each other.

Unless I'm mistaken, they only play the Titans twice, not thrice.

For Fulham News, Opinions, and Streaming Updates Follow me at https://twitter.com/MayoDomo!

WolverineFFC

Quote from: love4ffc on September 25, 2020, 09:34:52 PM
And way too complicated. 

I have no idea what they are planning with a 17 game schedule.

AnOldBrownie

Here's a good youtube video explaining it  (yes, compared to the EPL season it's complicated)

32  teams in the League

2 Conferences

4 Divisions each conference

4 teams in each division

Each team plays against their division opponents (3 of them) twice (home and away)

Then...each division team  also plays 4 games against another division (same conference) (it rotates annually, but I'm not exactly sure how)

Then each division team also plays each team from another division (difference conference)  which also rotates annually

That leaves two game... and it's too complicated for me to figure out how those two games are decided.  (And I've been watching American football for over 45 years)

Penfold

It's a sport for Americans (because they can be the best at it) and less of an international sport than cricket.

fulhamben

Why not just play everyone in your side of the 16 once. Alternate every year if you play the team home or away.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: fulhamben on September 25, 2020, 09:49:30 PM
Why not just play everyone in your side of the 16 once. Alternate every year if you play the team home or away.

College football...lower division football, is kinda like that.    I think it has a lot to do with wanting home and away games against the three teams in your division.   That's only 6 games.   Helps build rivalries between specific fans.

To be honest...it's all about revenue.   And giving fans of say...the Pittsburgh Steelers to possibly see their team play in Los Angeles every now and then.   

NJFulham

From 1999-2001, there were 31 teams. No Texans. Bye weeks were throughout the season. The Eagles had a week 16 bye week in 1999.

NJFulham

The theory I think is that games are "meaningless" if there's no "division title". The league was also Eastern and Western divisions until the 70s to consolidate travel a little.

fulhamben

Quote from: NJFulham on September 25, 2020, 09:56:27 PM

The theory I think is that games are "meaningless" if there's no "division title". The league was also Eastern and Western divisions until the 70s to consolidate travel a little.
you could still have the division titles this was and have the last game 16 as first vs second and third vs fourth from the mini divisions

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: fulhamben on September 25, 2020, 10:00:40 PM
Quote from: NJFulham on September 25, 2020, 09:56:27 PM

you could still have the division titles this was and have the last game 16 as first vs second and third vs fourth from the mini divisions

Most of this was set up prior to my watching American football (1977).   Most of it has been set in stone and only modified slightly throughout the years.

SoCalJoe

When playing the other 3 teams in your division twice, it creates the NFL version of a derby. I'm a Seattle fan, and nothing bigger then playing San Francisco twice. Also because of the 3 hour time difference from west to east coast (the divisions are arranged for the most part by geography) having as many games in your time zone is optimum.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

YankeeJim

Does anyone really care about steroid ball?
The average career is 3.3 years. The last 35 years the average lifespan of NFL players is 59.6 years.
The players average less than a million bucks a year and that is inflated by the contracts given the name players.
A bad sport that is extremely hard on the players and chews them up like ground beef.

I wish some of those very athletic running backs would have gone into real football so the US Nats could have a midfield of 6'2" men with 10 flat 100 meter speed and agile 6'6" speedy CBs with 40 inch vertical jump ability.  :wow:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.