more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Odoi should never play for us again

Started by sunburywhite, September 28, 2020, 06:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Classic94 on September 29, 2020, 10:46:59 AM
Odoi isn't good enough but he's hardly to blame. The fact he's still a go-to option speaks volumes about our defensive recruitment - or lack of.

Agreed. The fact that he has gone 90 minutes in all 3 Premier League games thus far says everything we need to know about the quality of our current back 4.

This thread is filled with reasonable, sound opinions about Odoi and the club's defense. The problem is there is only 1 man who can correct the issue and he continues to add to the evidence that he can't do it.

sonnyjim

Quote from: toshes mate on September 28, 2020, 10:16:57 PM
Oh so you clueless people blame Denis Odoi everytime ... what is wrong with you?

Did you watch the game at all? He was at fault for all three goals so I am a bit unsure why you're calling us clueless.

We Are Premier League

Quote from: blingo on September 29, 2020, 10:52:21 AM
Its not his fault he isnt prem quality, but why oh why give the guy a two year extension on his contract? He should have been sold so he could enjoy his football at his level. He is a nice guy, but all we have done is compound his misery.

I trashed his performance yesterday but i would agreed with the decisionto extend the contract. He is not very expensive, knows the clubs and the payers insideout and it is hard to find someone that can be 3rd choice LB, 3rd choice RB and (hopefully soon) 5th choice CB. He serves a purpose in the squad but it is not as a strarting CB.

toshes mate

Quote from: Sonnyjim on September 29, 2020, 12:24:51 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on September 28, 2020, 10:16:57 PM
Oh so you clueless people blame Denis Odoi everytime ... what is wrong with you?

Did you watch the game at all? He was at fault for all three goals so I am a bit unsure why you're calling us clueless.

I got that bit the first time you people posted.  Odoi is a solid professional and doesn't deserve to be accused of stuff which involves the whole team (note the word whole) ...

sonnyjim

Accused of what? I've just watched all three goals back and he was at fault for all of them. I don't know what you all see in him.

cwindsor

Whether Odoi is a nice guy, a solid professional, a hard worker, or any other number of superlatives, is hardly the issue.
He has started and played the full 90 minutes of all three defeats and has been shown up for what he is not - a premier league footballer. He has no place, in any team, playing at this level. Harsh but true.

Denzil Dexter

Tete pointing to tell him where to go sums it all up

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Gezza

Quote from: The Swan on September 28, 2020, 06:56:07 PM
Odoi is a waste of space. He has just given away a free kick which Villa have scored another goal.

Can you give the guy some respect. He did after all, among many things , score the goal against Derby which got us to Wembley.

S.F.Sorrow

I was positive to extending Odoi's contract but I was thinking more like a resonably cheap way to get a 2nd/3rd choice RB/LB and a 5th choice emergency CB. Playing Odoi for 90 minutes every game in the Premier League was never going to end well. Don't get me wrong, I really like Odoi and everything he has done for the club. He is a true professional and the way he stepped up when Kalas was injured and TK had failed to provide any cover whatsoever at CB makes him a Fulham legend IMO. Well, that plus the goal against Derby. And of course that spectacular move he did against Newcastle with the ball on his back!

But as much as I like Odoi he just isn't good enough for the Premier League except as a backup LB/RB on the cheap. He isn't getting any younger and we can't expect him to outjump players 20cm taller than himself anymore. Being forced to play Odoi at CB in the Premier League because TK has failed at his job AGAIN is beyond belief.

Jim©

I find the lack of respect to one of our players who has played 200+ games really OTT.
Kicking off at our own players helps who? The poster by getting it off their chest perhaps, little else.
I agree he's been performing poorly, you can see that the fella knows it too. But all this is a bit harsh on someone who is very very versatile and, along with the rest of the back 4/5/6 needs to improve not just become a virtual punchbag for some keyboard warriors.

Pluto

Also don't agree with some of the personal comments in this thread. Odoi has been great for us, but at this stage of his career and his current level of ability, his role in a premier league squad should be as a versatile utility man with a good attitude off the field who can fill in a few different roles in a pinch/injury crisis. Great guy to have in the squad for that purpose and not his fault he's being asked to perform as a starting premier league level centre back.

Gezza

Quote from: Jim© on September 29, 2020, 05:17:48 PM
I find the lack of respect to one of our players who has played 200+ games really OTT.
Kicking off at our own players helps who? The poster by getting it off their chest perhaps, little else.
I agree he's been performing poorly, you can see that the fella knows it too. But all this is a bit harsh on someone who is very very versatile and, along with the rest of the back 4/5/6 needs to improve not just become a virtual punchbag for some keyboard warriors.

Couldn't agree more.

sonnyjim

He's 32 years old. When is he going to improve? He's not good enough and yeah I feel bad for saying it but it's making me angry looking at the starting 11 every game and seeing his name.

He might of done a lot of good things for the club but we can't keep dropping points, it's embarrassing.

I don't know why Parker keeps picking him. Pick someone else, give a youngster a chance if the worst comes to the worst.

If we started the game with 10 men we'd have more of a chance to be honest.

Burntheashes

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on September 29, 2020, 05:12:56 PM
I was positive to extending Odoi's contract but I was thinking more like a resonably cheap way to get a 2nd/3rd choice RB/LB and a 5th choice emergency CB. Playing Odoi for 90 minutes every game in the Premier League was never going to end well. Don't get me wrong, I really like Odoi and everything he has done for the club. He is a true professional and the way he stepped up when Kalas was injured and TK had failed to provide any cover whatsoever at CB makes him a Fulham legend IMO. Well, that plus the goal against Derby. And of course that spectacular move he did against Newcastle with the ball on his back!

But as much as I like Odoi he just isn't good enough for the Premier League except as a backup LB/RB on the cheap. He isn't getting any younger and we can't expect him to outjump players 20cm taller than himself anymore. Being forced to play Odoi at CB in the Premier League because TK has failed at his job AGAIN is beyond belief.

100% this.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sonnyjim on September 30, 2020, 07:12:02 AM
He's 32 years old. When is he going to improve? He's not good enough and yeah I feel bad for saying it but it's making me angry looking at the starting 11 every game and seeing his name. He might of done a lot of good things for the club but we can't keep dropping points, it's embarrassing.

I don't know why Parker keeps picking him. Pick someone else, give a youngster a chance if the worst comes to the worst. If we started the game with 10 men we'd have more of a chance to be honest.

Denis Odoi is one of the four best centre-backs at the club, and if you don't like MLM then he plays in a back three. Our youth defenders (apart from S.Sess) are miles behind Denis Odoi, who are struggling in Premier League 2 (u23).

Whitestone

Giving Denis Odoi a new 2 year deal was a poor decision, particularly when we already had Cyrus Christie as back up to Tete. Odoi should have been released at the end of his last contract. Denis struggles in the Premier League, we saw that in 2018/19. There isn't any place for sentiment where Premier League survival is concerned. To make matters worse the manager has repeatedly selected him in the opening games this season. It's like Groundhog Day.  When will the club learn from past mistakes ?

toshes mate

Quote from: Whitestone on September 30, 2020, 07:51:16 AM
When will the club learn from past mistakes ?
When the Club and its supporters stops pointing fingers at victims of the one big mistake of having an inferior DoF lousing up every single good thing that happens.  Odoi will play when and wherever he is asked to because he is that kind of guy.  It is not his fault that we have an amateur determining our recruitment policy period.  Point your finger where it needs to be pointed and don't try to pin the blame on those who are doing their best to turn things around.  Just as a starter our defence appeared to be a more cohesive and better moving unit when MLM came on in place of Hector and so what is the logic in that?

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Sonnyjim on September 29, 2020, 03:48:01 PM
Accused of what? I've just watched all three goals back and he was at fault for all of them. I don't know what you all see in him.
Watch again.

1st goal, Cav makes an ineffective challenge, ball breaks to McGinn who puts in a good ball to capitalise on Grealish's clever run, Odoi is caught unaware/flat-footed.  Credit to Villa. (Hate to say it)

2nd goal Tete, TC, BDR and Anguissa all point at various things/places. Then so does Hector. Odoi tracks Watkins, holds him up near the touchline.   Tete gets drawn in, loses his man (Grealish), Hector gets drawn out to cover, Anguissa doesn't get close to his man.

3rd goal.  Odoi fouls 35yards out on the touchline.  Decent free kick, Hector marks Mings but barely moves.  Mings does.

So, are all 3 goals Dennis Odoi's fault?  Or as a group are the players organised?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

fulhamfever

100% Odoi is not Premier League quality

We do not have a squad fit for this league.

Denzil Dexter

I'd play MLM ahead of him. That says something. No doubt Odoi will be playing against Portugal on Sunday after Tony fails to sign anyone.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk