watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mitrovic

Started by Plodder, September 28, 2020, 07:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plodder

As the end of last season showed, we are a team that seems to play better without Mitrovic.  He has excellent qualities, and it isn't his fault (although his attitude could be better in terms of spending less time in pursuing personal battles on the pitch and arguing with the referee) ; it's just that with him up front, the rest of the team seems fixated on getting the ball wide and firing in a cross, without instinctively relying on other varied methods of attack, and that isn't their strength.  I think we will go down irrespective, but I think someone like Watkins (a more mobile, channel running forward) would suit us better than Mitrovic.  The latter also has a big persona which seems to loom over most of the rest of the team, many of whom (sub-consciously?) seem to regard their primary role as feeding Mitrovic rather than taking responsibility themselves

FFCsince64

FFC1987

I don't necessarily agree but I would say I'd bench him after today.

rebel

Quote from: Plodder on September 28, 2020, 07:54:30 PM
As the end of last season showed, we are a team that seems to play better without Mitrovic.  He has excellent qualities, and it isn't his fault (although his attitude could be better in terms of spending less time in pursuing personal battles on the pitch and arguing with the referee) ; it's just that with him up front, the rest of the team seems fixated on getting the ball wide and firing in a cross, without instinctively relying on other varied methods of attack, and that isn't their strength.  I think we will go down irrespective, but I think someone like Watkins (a more mobile, channel running forward) would suit us better than Mitrovic.  The latter also has a big persona which seems to loom over most of the rest of the team, many of whom (sub-consciously?) seem to regard their primary role as feeding Mitrovic rather than taking responsibility themselves

It's a flaw in the teams 'DNA', we are back to everything has to go through Mitro, defenders 'double up' on him.

Mince n Tatties

Looking at his face at the end,i think if someone comes in for him,he will be off in a flash.

hovewhite

If levy opens his heart oops mean wallet he'll  be gone

blingo

We wouldnt even be in the prem if Mitro hadn't played.

milis

The tactics were wrong from the start. You can't put a slow single target-men to combat two full backs, you need either a good false 9 (stronger and smarter than De Cordova-Reid or Onomah), or another PL quality striker to pull away some of defenders to his side.

Plodder

Quote from: blingo on September 28, 2020, 08:36:10 PM
We wouldnt even be in the prem if Mitro hadn't played.
If you look at our end of season run, the results without him were excellent.

Arthur

We tried to play to our attacking strength tonight: i.e. Mitrovic's aerial prowess. But tonight also showed this to be 'low-percentage' tactic. We bombarded Villa with crosses, but not one of them led to our forcing their goalkeeper into making a save worthy of mention. What else can we do that will be more threatening? I don't see an attacking player in a white shirt who has Premier League quality in his feet.

andyk

Most teams in the bottom half and quite a few in the top half play counter attacking football. They are not that bothered about possession and sit back waiting for a mistake. Then they use pace to create a chance.  Mitro can't play that game coz he's slow, carthorse slow.
So we take all the possession and wait for an opportunity to lob the ball in to Mitro, who is being marked by two 6ft 4 central defenders.
Sorry to say, but I think the best tactical decision would be to get rid of Mitrovic.

rebel

Quote from: milis on September 28, 2020, 08:40:22 PM
The tactics were wrong from the start. You can't put a slow single target-men to combat two full backs, you need either a good false 9 (stronger and smarter than De Cordova-Reid or Onomah), or another PL quality striker to pull away some of defenders to his side.

Mitro got his head to a lot of crosses , but how many of them could have been headed to his team mates in the box?, some, but none were, that might have been a better option then going for goal.

TC's Sporran

after 15mins i could tell our main tactic ie cross it to mitro was not gonna work

maybe if every third attack you cross it then yes, but surely you mix it up a bit? keep the oppo guessing?

otherwise the defenders know all they have to do is double up on mitro and ignore the rest

attacking runs into the box were needed last night

much in the same way villa attacked us

cross to a big slow number 9 is too easy to nullify

look up,  if he is unmarked or moving into space then cross it to him

cant believe we didnt have a plan b

St Eve

Mitro is the least of our problems. Start with the entire defence, them look at Cairney , then Cav

Mr K.Dilkington

Mitrovic deserves better than this team. I just feel bad for him really
Foolish ham

john dempsey

play him as centre back
big strong aggressive

Bassey the warrior

Tactics is Parker's remit, it's up to him to get us to mix it up.

Last season we had nicer build up play when he wasn't playing but all too often there was no one in the box. We won a number of games because we scored a worldie long range goal. That's not a reliable tactic in the Premier League.

So no, for me we're a better team with Mitrovic in it, we just need to support him better.

bog

We seem one dimensional just aiming for him all the time. We need a player alongside him. Ollie Watkins would have done but he would never come here.

092.gif

FFC In Oz

Right, let's get rid of Mitro.  Bench him.  Play BDR or AK.

Mitro and Anguissa are our only bona fide PL quality players

filham

Goals win football matches, we have no one other than Mitro threatening to score goals, give him a pacey partner with an eye for goal and we could come good.
Post Lockdown without Mitro we scraped home in a number of games by the odd goal and then Kebano hit scoring form in a few matches but over the season we relied on Mitro's goals.
Yes, our tactics are too rigid but the solution to that fault is not dropping Mitro.