watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Director of Football

Started by blingo, September 29, 2020, 10:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

No thanks to Roy, but I would be delighted if we offered the position to Ray Lewington, a real Fulham heritage, and knows the game inside out,
Ray Lew would be a great appointment.

Craven Mad

Roy's skill is rigidly drilling players into tight unit; he brings stability to unstable teams.

His skill in identifying talent - especially young talent - is less impressive. Great manager but wouldn't have him as a DoF (albeit, he'd be an upgrade on what we have in both roles right now!)

blingo

Didnt he bring in smalling from maidstone for 10 grand?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: 3-lions on September 29, 2020, 11:19:18 AM
Tony is the DOF isn't he? He'll never give it up as this along with other Shad 'Daddy' paid for investments are 'Toys for his boy'.

We as fans must acknowledge this and accept the 'good' and the 'bad' having The Shads as our owners. The good is obviously the $$$ factor. The bad is the learning curve a young Tony brings. TBH it is refreshing to see a DOF/HOF/GM engage at times with the fans. The ambition is clearly there for all to see, the vision of where we want as a Club to be at is also clear. Obviously the growing pains are the same as before and we may have to yo-yo one ore more times before Tony gets things right.

Certainly entertaining at least to see Tony try to rebuild the team and Scott frown at times.

King Canute had similar aspirations and thought he could turn back the tide and he was also a complete and utter failure.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fulham Joe

I just wish JC and TR would just stop talking about KD and YF all the time and get down to playing some  QP and LV for a while.

Makes no sense? yeh, well now you know how the rest of us feel trying to read all this initials crap all the time.

Bocanegra

Not too sure about this to be honest.

Feel as if we are merging his footballing philosophy (effective in the prem) with his ability to find players who would currently not suit the way we play.

For this to work, we would have to completely pivot from current play-style (something im not necessarily against) and changing manager to someone who would fit those players.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Fulham Joe on September 30, 2020, 02:34:00 PM
I just wish JC and TR would just stop talking about KD and YF all the time and get down to playing some  QP and LV for a while.

Makes no sense? yeh, well now you know how the rest of us feel trying to read all this initials crap all the time.

I agree, I wish they would all GL
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on September 29, 2020, 12:42:15 PM
Quote from: andyk on September 29, 2020, 10:43:22 AM
Our start is reminiscent of Crystal Palace in 2017, when they lost their first seven games and didn't score a goal.  We have, at least scored some goals, but otherwise we look even worse than that Palace team.
Of course, Palace sacked De Boer after 4 games and appointed Roy.
He's been their manager ever since and they look a strong, well established prem team.

The lesson is to appoint a manager who knows how to coach, how to train, how to motivate players.

Parker isn't the man and it is better to replace him now, than in November.

Get Chris Hughton in, or even Mick Mcarthy, but get someone who knows how to manage a team.

You know you weakened any argument as soon as you mentioned Mick McCarthy. Absolute joke of a suggestion.

We have Parker, he isn't going anywhere.
Mick Mcarthy sounds a solid suggestion to me, it would be the end of Parker Ball and pretty ,pretty football, our defense would look better overnight but really we have just gained promotion so we have to give Parker some new players and more time.

FFC1987

Quote from: filham on September 30, 2020, 03:29:04 PM
Our start is reminiscent of Crystal Palace in 2017, when they lost their first seven games and didn't score a goal.  We have, at least scored some goals, but otherwise we look even worse than that Palace team.
He's been their manager ever since and they look a strong, well established prem team.

The lesson is to appoint a manager who knows how to coach, how to train, how to motivate players.

Get Chris Hughton in, or even Mick Mcarthy, but get someone who knows how to manage a team.

You know you weakened any argument as soon as you mentioned Mick McCarthy. Absolute joke of a suggestion.

Mick Mcarthy sounds a solid suggestion to me, it would be the end of Parker Ball and pretty ,pretty football, our defense would look better overnight but really we have just gained promotion so we have to give Parker some new players and more time.

Out of interest, did you follow Mick's tenure much when he was at Ipswich? Because I did, my home town. He didn't do a lot 'wrong' but blimey don't be telling me they defended well......

HV71

DOF - do we actually have one? Seriously though- we have someone who runs the club ( without doubt ) who feels he can apologise for a teams performance but who doesn't take full responsibility for the position we find ourselves in .

He can't have it all ways - he either runs the show or not
Let me be absolutely clear- we are lucky to be owned by the Khans - that is unquestionable. However that doesn't mean that we do not need a qualified, experienced DOF who gives 100 % of their time to the job. End of . Amen 

Jims Dentist

Quote from: HV71 on September 30, 2020, 10:07:00 PM
DOF - do we actually have one? Seriously though- we have someone who runs the club ( without doubt ) who feels he can apologise for a teams performance but who doesn't take full responsibility for the position we find ourselves in .

He can't have it all ways - he either runs the show or not
Let me be absolutely clear- we are lucky to be owned by the Khans - that is unquestionable. However that doesn't mean that we do not need a qualified, experienced DOF who gives 100 % of their time to the job. End of . Amen 
✔✔✔

The Rational Fan

When Shahid Khan took over Fulham, he almost acknowledged that FFC has been a truly terrible investment not worth investing in its current path, but that he could do better. The idea that he do better is delusional, but great for us fans that he pours money into the club trying to do better.

The truth is "The Khans" probably cannot do better investing than MAF (and Roy Hodgson etc), but I hope Shahid Khan never realises "the Truth" like billionaire Ellis Short at Sunderland realised the truth that almost every DOF eventually losses money.

For example, Roy Hodgson's Crystal Palace lost £35m in 2018/19 season and overall he has lost money there. If Shahid Khan wants to minimise financial losses then very few DOFs have done better than Chris Coleman at Sunderland and that is the kind of DOF that I would expect to replace Tony Khan.

If fans want to stay in premier league, we need to either "keep Shahid Khan totally delusional that he can invest better than Roy Hodgson" or "enourage Shahid Khan to embrace his reckless hobby of giving his son money to buy players, knowing that throwing £20m down the toliet each year is a cheap hobby for a multi-billionaire".

All those fans that want Shahid Khan to wake up and stop delusionally investing in the current DOF, need to be careful what they wish for, because even getting Roy Hodgson as DOF to invest to achieve a profit is completely delusional. 

I suspect the minute Shahid Khan stops being delusional about his sons abilities, he will stop being delusional about the alternative DOFs also which are only slighlty less bad than Tony Khan, and at that moment (the moment Shahid Khan is not delusional anymore) FFC will be investing in League One players and thats probably where we will end up.

The Rock

Quote from: filham on September 30, 2020, 03:29:04 PM

I have always respected and liked MM. At Ipswich he only had so many resources and kept them up too for awhile. Sadly, with the Khans in control it doesn't really matter who the manger is. MM, Roy, nor anyone else will be a savior. We went from aspiring to be a "sustainable PL club" to a "I would take being a yo-yo club" club.

We are a bunch of yo-yo's.

The Rock

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 01, 2020, 01:10:26 AM
When Shahid Khan took over Fulham, he almost acknowledged that FFC has been a truly terrible investment not worth investing in its current path, but that he could do better. The idea that he do better is delusional, but great for us fans that he pours money into the club trying to do better.

The truth is "The Khans" probably cannot do better investing than MAF (and Roy Hodgson etc), but I hope Shahid Khan never realises "the Truth" like billionaire Ellis Short at Sunderland realised the truth that almost every DOF eventually losses money.

For example, Roy Hodgson's Crystal Palace lost £35m in 2018/19 season and overall he has lost money there. If Shahid Khan wants to minimise financial losses then very few DOFs have done better than Chris Coleman at Sunderland and that is the kind of DOF that I would expect to replace Tony Khan.

If fans want to stay in premier league, we need to either "keep Shahid Khan totally delusional that he can invest better than Roy Hodgson" or "enourage Shahid Khan to embrace his reckless hobby of giving his son money to buy players, knowing that throwing £20m down the toliet each year is a cheap hobby for a multi-billionaire".

All those fans that want Shahid Khan to wake up and stop delusionally investing in the current DOF, need to be careful what they wish for, because even getting Roy Hodgson as DOF to invest to achieve a profit is completely delusional. 

I suspect the minute Shahid Khan stops being delusional about his sons abilities, he will stop being delusional about the alternative DOFs also which are only slighlty less bad than Tony Khan, and at that moment (the moment Shahid Khan is not delusional anymore) FFC will be investing in League One players and thats probably where we will end up.

Rational fan, how much are the Khan's paying you?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: The Rock on October 01, 2020, 02:53:44 AM

I doubt the Khans like what I wrote either, but its the truth. Once we get a non-delusional owner (like Sunderland, Newcastle, ManU, Arsenal, Spurs, Cardiff and Norwich have got), we won't be aiming to spend big to stay in the premier league. Your criticism of "The Khans" maybe accurate, but like fans at Sunderland, Newcastle and ManU that have fairly criticised their owners, it hasn't helped the team. What would help the fans now is SK giving TK a cheque for £100m to spend on the best players TK can find, and hopefully those players won't be too crap so we come 17th. 

Asotosyios

To sum up, while Tony Khan is accused that he will end up into "panic" buying the CBs we need, the suggestions on here are:
- bring a manager currently at another Premier League club as our Director of Football
- bring an assistant manager currently at another Premier League club as our Director of Football
- make 73-year-old Harry Redknapp our Director of Football
- sack Parker and replace him with Chris Hughton or Mick McCarthy
- make Parker Director of Football after less than two years as manager and bring Sam Allardyce as manager

Some really cool heads on this board.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Asotosyios on October 01, 2020, 03:19:21 AM
To sum up, while Tony Khan is accused that he will end up into "panic" buying the CBs we need, the suggestions on here are:
- bring a manager currently at another Premier League club as our Director of Football
- bring an assistant manager currently at another Premier League club as our Director of Football
- make 73-year-old Harry Redknapp our Director of Football
- sack Parker and replace him with Chris Hughton or Mick McCarthy
- make Parker Director of Football after less than two years as manager and bring Sam Allardyce as manager

Some really cool heads on this board.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

Tony Khan just needs to bring in the best three £20m centre backs that he can.

• If no CB is any good, we go down and won't come back up anytime soon.
  • If one CB is good, we go down and then with Hector we struggle back up.
  • If two CB are good, we could stay up with winter reinforcements in attack.
  • If three CBs are good, everyone watching on the TV will be shocked its FFC.
The Khans don't need to panic, they just need to invest and hope it goes well.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rock on October 01, 2020, 02:53:44 AM

Ah yes, of course he must be paid bu the Khan's because surely there is only one way of looking at something. Great way to try to discourage an open discussion.

blingo

Have you considered that SK may be using FFC as a tax write off which suits his purpose?

Twig

Quote from: blingo on October 01, 2020, 08:22:19 AM
Have you considered that SK may be using FFC as a tax write off which suits his purpose?

Not sure how that would work given that pretty much all his net revenue is generated in the US and FFC is firmly in the UK?