more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Comparing Aston Villa to us.

Started by Riversider, September 30, 2020, 10:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Riversider on September 30, 2020, 11:51:10 AM
Sorry, I meant to mention Lewis Dunk in my original piece, he was all but ours all we had to do was close the deal, but no, we decided to haggle over a million and Brighton eventually told us to do one, Villa would have just paid the asking price and moved on,
Now thanks to the outburst of Tony Khan after the Villa game every club in Europe now knows we are desperate for a centre half, now every club we contact for a player they will automatically add £5 million because it's us,
Shocking way to do business.

I don't know that will be the case. There are a lot of teams hurting right now because of revenue decreases due to COVID. Some will be forced to lower their prices and take what's on offer or risk getting nothing when they need some cash. Let's judge on Monday evening what we did with the rest of this summer's plan, and then there's another 10 days or whatever to further consider Championship targets.

I think the question of how much money WE have/are willing to spend is a bigger question.

Arthur

Quote from: Riversider on September 30, 2020, 10:55:23 AM
After three games they already look assured of Premier League football...
How have Villa got it absolutely spot on...

Riversider,

No one would have said either of these things about Villa 12 months ago.

Just goes to show how things can change for the better within the space of a couple of transfer windows.

Two seasons ago, you posted something very similar to this. On that occasion, the club you praised for its acumen in the transfer market was Bournemouth. Like Villa now, Bournemouth were everything that we weren't.

Just goes to show how things can change for the worse within the space of a couple of transfer windows.

peter w

Quote from: Arthur on September 30, 2020, 08:43:41 PM

Riversider,

Just goes to show how things can change for the better within the space of a couple of transfer windows.

Two seasons ago, you posted something very similar to this. On that occasion, the club you praised for its acumen in the transfer market was Bournemouth. Like Villa now, Bournemouth were everything that we weren't.

Just goes to show how things can change for the worse within the space of a couple of transfer windows.

It was what was being said of us (Villa) 12 months ago. It wasn%u2019t until a poor run in December and then into the New Year did we drop away badly. Until then we were hovering around 15th or so.

I think there was a big difference between how you and then us approached out transfers after promotion. A lot of ours were simply because loans became transfers as well as having to replace those released or their contracts having expired. From the outside you appeared to try and add too many first into what was already a largely settled first team. Those players largely failed and you failed to build experience in any newly bought players.

Of those we bought many were in the squad on Monday - Targett; Mings; Konsa;Trezeguet; Nakamba, whilst there were also players that we had in the Championship- Grealish; McGinn; Hourihane; Elmohamady; Davis. Now these players look like they have had the experience of an extra season in the Premier League.

I do think there was a sizeable gulf between the two and the first was the lack of adaptability once plan A wasn%u2019t working. We started out looking to attack last season and the biggest benefit to us wasn%u2019t the ghost goal (%u2018scored%u2019 in the first half) as anything could have still happened in the game, but lockdown. We changed our style of play and allowed the opposition to have the ball and looked to counter. That%u2019s how we played agai st you and in all honesty it felt like a Carabao Cup game against a Championship side. We didn%u2019t extend ourselves because we didn%u2019t need to. Plus it was only the second league game for us so fitness levels not quite there.

I would worry for you because you do not look to have much other than the ball into Mitrovic. He needs runners off him and the back four needs better protection. Your midfield played pretty football in areas that couldn%u2019t hurt us but then failed to track back or protect the back three.

It%u2019s only 3 games in but you%u2019re way off where we were 3 games in last season and unless you change manager I think you%u2019re going to be in a lot of trouble.

Arthur

Quote from: peter w on September 30, 2020, 10:16:38 PM

Riversider,

It was what was being said of us (Villa) 12 months ago.

It seems I must amend my previous post:

No one but Villa fans wearing rose-tinted spectacles (who were clearly being overly optimistic, seeing as their team's P.L. status wasn't assured until the final whistle blew on the final game of their season) would have said either of these things about Villa 12 months ago.

The Rational Fan

Before we sing the praises of Aston Villa 2019 recruitment, let me remind you that Aston Villa only nine players had better statistics last season in the premier league than Maxime Le Marchand in 2018/19 (and his statistics were pretty poor), we had four outfield players with good statistics Mitro, Babel, Chambers and Anguissa.

The difference between our two teams statistically was Jack Grelish, John McGinn and Frédéric Guilbert that is all, these were the three best players statistically and were all at the club before the playoff final. We didn't have enough succesful players from the championship transition into top premier league players. Not all our signiong were good, but most of Aston Villas signings weren't good enough either, but they were carried by Grelish, McGinn and Guilbert.

Statto

Quote from: Arthur on October 01, 2020, 12:43:18 AM

Riversider,

No one but Villa fans wearing rose-tinted spectacles (who were clearly being overly optimistic, seeing as their team's P.L. status wasn't assured until the final whistle blew on the final game of their season) would have said either of these things about Villa 12 months ago.

0001.jpeg
:005:

peter w

Quote from: Arthur on October 01, 2020, 12:43:18 AM

Riversider,

Seeing that the final whistle wasn't blown on the season 12 months ago then yes you ought to amend your post. No problem if not being wrong is okay.

peter w

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 01, 2020, 02:36:22 AM
Before we sing the praises of Aston Villa 2019 recruitment, let me remind you that Aston Villa only nine players had better statistics last season in the premier league than Maxime Le Marchand in 2018/19 (and his statistics were pretty poor), we had four outfield players with good statistics Mitro, Babel, Chambers and Anguissa.

The difference between our two teams statistically was Jack Grelish, John McGinn and Frédéric Guilbert that is all, these were the three best players statistically and were all at the club before the playoff final. We didn't have enough succesful players from the championship transition into top premier league players. Not all our signiong were good, but most of Aston Villas signings weren't good enough either, but they were carried by Grelish, McGinn and Guilbert.

Guilbert? You loon.

SP

Mane, one of Liverpool's best players has Covid & is in quarantine. Villa really seem to have Lady Luck on their side.

I Ronic

Quote from: Mr K.Dilkington on September 30, 2020, 11:20:24 AM
Quote from: DevonFFC on September 30, 2020, 11:11:04 AM
Villa just signed Ross Barkley, not sure why we can never sign a prem ready and experienced player
Big agree! I don't know why we have such an aversion to tried and tested players. I get the feeling TK never watched us in our 14yr PL stint,so can't understand what made us successful.

Maybe the tried and tested players have an aversion to us.

toshes mate

I belive, getting back to Riversider's OP, that football folk, as in those who run clubs, manage clubs, play for clubs and so on have reasonably effective memories and that means they will not have forgotten our DoF's spending spree, his sacking of two managers he had sought out and appointed when the fault was demonstrably the lack of appropriate players for a PL squad and what followed from that.  All of it was and is simply bad publicity for this Club.  Remember the three players from the wrong end of the Fulham Road who toured Motspur Park and turned us down?  Something is rotten in the State of Fulham and until it is removed the stench will stick around us.

Obviously this cannot happen until the transfer window is completely closed but I do hope Khan Senior can exercise his better judgement and command an incoming replacement for Javier with a view to upgrading them to DoF (with full management responsibility for coaching too) a.s.a.p.   Perhaps then we will see some harmony and positive improvement all around us and a Parker with a good supporting voice to listen to and learn. 

Riversider

As I was saying, they look a decent side to me, anybody want to change their opinion ? 😁

rebel

Quote from: Riversider on October 04, 2020, 08:14:21 PM
As I was saying, they look a decent side to me, anybody want to change their opinion ? 😁

It's early days, this isn't a typical 'Liverpool Performance'.

Nero

Quote from: rebel on October 04, 2020, 08:37:54 PM

[/quote
Quote from: rebel on October 04, 2020, 08:37:54 PM

Liverpool have look shakey all season at the back but have managed to win. Thing a lot of laurel sitting going on. Think they must need two more CB there DOF must be inexperienced and useless

TC's Sporran

maybe no one wants to get close due to covid?

but defending is poor everywhere this season in the prem

FFC1987

This Villa team is absolutely full of pace and grafters. I'd be very excited to be a fan especially after the Barkley signing. REally changed my opinion knowing they have a quick and strong Watkins and quick, athletic ballers like Grealish and Barkley feeding him. I've also been a massive admirer of Konsa and was gutted when we didn't get him. Everyone talks about Mings but Konsa for me, is the real player in that backline.

NewYorkYank

Targett, Cash, Traore, and Watkins.  Four players with whom Fulham was negotiating, if one believes the press, and the club could not sign one of them.  It says it all.

Sting of the North

Quote from: NewYorkYank on October 04, 2020, 11:49:08 PM
Targett, Cash, Traore, and Watkins.  Four players with whom Fulham was negotiating, if one believes the press, and the club could not sign one of them.  It says it all.

I believe the key part of your sentence is "if one believes the press"...

toshes mate

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 05, 2020, 08:08:46 AM

I believe the key part of your sentence is "if one believes the press"...
Ah, but, no statistical database would be complete without them ... and do you serioulsy believe we wouldn't, at least, have tested the water?

Statto

Not really. It just says they've had their pants pulled down, yet again. They paid £80-90m for those four and yet in Bryan/Robinson, Tete, Lookman and Mitrovic we have players that are at least as good, yet apparently we're going to relegated with less points than Derby.

Our squad will probably be as good as theirs in 14 hours from now - just need a couple of CBs and perhaps another attacker.