watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

3rd Goal offside?

Started by Enfield, September 30, 2020, 04:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enfield

Looked at this lots of times, IMO Mings was offside, in front of our defenders before the ball is kicked.
What I find difficult to understand is why it was not reviewed by VAR, when every other decision is subject to
the upmost scrutiny.     (Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I've not seen it.)

Also incomprehensible to me is why our goal was not allowed,  at 1-2 its a different game with  possibly
a different outcome.

bobbo

Oh I noticed that also, I just couldn't believe it wasn't looked at.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

junior white

All goals are reviewed, so it must have been deemed good, i thought it looked it but it was close

Moltobueno

Mings was clearly onside. Mitrovic covers it.

Our goal was disallowed because Mitrovic fouled their player in the box.

Matt10

They did check it though? The commentator even said so "The check is complete...and the goal is given", right at the 48:05 match-time mark. Just because it doesn't go to VAR on-screen doesn't mean it wasn't checked. As soon as Hourihane kicks, you can see Mitro holding onto Watkins, and is keeping Mings onside.

For our goal, Mitro is pushing the defender in the back and twists him all around.

I wish these weren't all true, but the video doesn't lie. 

filham

The Villa number 7 is yards offside but he was walking away from our goal and I imagine is deemed not to be interfering with play.
What a silly rule that is.

andyk

What's the purpose of the No7 standing offside? He's clearly there for some tactical reason. Probably to interfere with the defenders trying to cover the flight of the ball  Just coz he doesn't try to attack the ball doesn't mean he's not interfering with play.

grandad

Quote from: andyk on September 30, 2020, 06:37:36 PM
What's the purpose of the No7 standing offside? He's clearly there for some tactical reason. Probably to interfere with the defenders trying to cover the flight of the ball  Just coz he doesn't try to attack the ball doesn't mean he's not interfering with play.

Alardyce started this when at Bolton. He had a player right in front of the GK. This tactic should have been banned then.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Enfield

Quote from: Matt10 on September 30, 2020, 04:33:53 PM
They did check it though? The commentator even said so "The check is complete...and the goal is given", right at the 48:05 match-time mark. Just because it doesn't go to VAR on-screen doesn't mean it wasn't checked. As soon as Hourihane kicks, you can see Mitro holding onto Watkins, and is keeping Mings onside.

This( and the one above) is a great pic, many thanks for posting, but if I were the video judge I would like to see
a few frames before this, when the ball is first kicked, as in this frame the ball has already travelled a foot or so.

Matt10

Quote from: Enfield on September 30, 2020, 07:53:06 PM
Quote from: Matt10 on September 30, 2020, 04:33:53 PM

This( and the one above) is a great pic, many thanks for posting, but if I were the video judge I would like to see
a few frames before this, when the ball is first kicked, as in this frame the ball has already travelled a foot or so.

I think Moltobueno's pic is as close as one could get another frame, but I tried:

Enfield

[/quote]

Wow, that's impressive Matt, many thanks for this.
OK I'm wrong onside by Mitro's ankle !

I think Moltobueno's pic is as close as one could get another frame, but I tried:

[/quote]

Black, White and Fred

So it looks like we are trying to play a high line to play them offside but Mitro and Ream are both out of position. Can forgive Mitro but thats really poor from Ream
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Matt10

Quote from: Black, White and Fred on October 01, 2020, 12:07:28 AM
So it looks like we are trying to play a high line to play them offside but Mitro and Ream are both out of position. Can forgive Mitro but thats really poor from Ream

How is that poor from Ream if you are trying to play a man offside? He's literally lagging behind Mings when the ball is kicked. He's in line with Anguissa, Cairney and Bryan.

In order, it would be Mitro, Odoi and Hector to play Mings onside.

It's team defending. If Mitro isn't holding onto Watkins and Hector is more in-line with Ream, Anguissa, Cairney and Bryan - then we still have Odoi barely.

In the end, the communication on set-pieces need to improve. Someone who has the full view should've said something. From that angle, it should've been Bryan - but "shoulda, woulda, coulda" is the song.