watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thoughts on Areola

Started by bencher, September 30, 2020, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finnans Right Peg

Defo upgrade on betts but Rodak shuld not have been dropped as he did nothing wrong

junior white

Quote from: Denzil Dexter on September 30, 2020, 07:32:33 PM
Quote from: The Old Count on September 30, 2020, 07:29:54 PM
Why do we always seem to sign goalkeepers when they are low on our list of priorities?

Clearly high on master tactician Tonys
Was Second on my list after a centre back, we needed a keeper to at least push Rodak, Betts wasn't that person.

bahay18

Ive not seen anything to suggest he is a top keeper . Cant buy into 'losing confidence because of a bad back 4'he is only been there 2 games and with his experience he should be the one giving confidence to them . Talking , directing etc . Look at the first goal at leeds , man unmarked on the back post .A good keeper organises that and its happened several times since , another goal like that will be conceded . Goal conceded to Bamford , positioning was poor he left way too much of the goal . First goal against villa it just looks too easy to score , starting position is likely wrong. point made earlier about wanting your keeper to keep you in the game , that was one of those moments . that in itself breeds confidence . Second goal , again his positioning isn't great , large area exposed but granted not a lot he could do really . If you want to defend with that high line on the free kick , keeper needs to be dominating that space (as ultimately its his decsion where the defensive line is . ) either by direction or physically . Whole thing a shambles , you look to your keeper.

To sum up , looks like we found another keeper where every shot goes in . This is a world cup winner , confidence shouldn't be an issue he should be demanding more from his defenders and driving them on , surely that was the reason he was signed ? He knew what club he was joining .

Milo

My views are:

1. Hasn't warranted dropping
2. Young talent
3. In a team that needs so many changes elsewhere but is afraid of making too many wholesale changes at once due to previous mistakes... why change what isn't broken!

..FOF..

I saw that it seems Areola actually pushes Rodak to be much better, FASTER.

Both will improve I'm sure. Looking forward to be having 2 world class keepers.

Bronaldinho

Hard to judge any goalkeeper this season.

The defence has been a shambles.

You need cohesion at the back, and that includes good relationships with the goalkeeper.

I agree, Areola was introduced far too soon - but we all could predict that.

Think Schwarz, Hughes and Brede - They were 3 big characters, loud and had faith in eachother.

We haven't got that at the moment.

Areola is a great goalkeeper, so is Rodak - but right now there's no cohesion or faith place between anyone at the back.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

toshes mate

Either Scott Parker is playing his preferred 'keeper, all things considered, or he is not.  That is a similar situation to the lengthy criticisms, on here and elsewhere, of Jokanovic's picks in 2018, and Parker's selection of central defenders where he has much less choice than the 'keeper.   I wouldn't like to say who is best out of Areola or Rodak because a) it depends on who you have in front of you, and, b) how do you best protect your idea of the better 'keeper from total destruction of confidence when you are waiting for the invisible additions to central defence to arrive.  We have been here before and that is what really hurts.

There has to be sensible teamwork throughout FFC even if there is absolutely nothing else that will get us off the hook and that means everybody pulling in the same direction because otherwise we will pull ourselves apart.         

JimOG

Quote from: Milo on September 30, 2020, 09:32:23 PM
My views are:

1. Hasn't warranted dropping
2. Young talent
3. In a team that needs so many changes elsewhere but is afraid of making too many wholesale changes at once due to previous mistakes... why change what isn't broken!

I can only assume that the major reason is Rodak's, at times, very poor kick outs. Scott may be slavishly following the fashion of ball playing keepers to keep possession more. Not a combination of Rodak & God would suffice this year but I'd have Rodak starting because he's a great shot-stopper and organiser

bencher

Perhaps we can just save everyone's blushes and play both of them. Drop Cavaleiro as he offers nothing. Less goals conceded (I'd assume!) and we then have a fighting chance.

WindyCity

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 30, 2020, 06:57:12 PM
Rodak has to warrant reselection soon...
If I was Rodak I would be fuming.

Yep, agreed.....I have not been impressed by Areola so far.  Supposedly a 'world class' keeper.  Im sorry, I just haven't seen that so far.