watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Which is worse?

Started by bog, October 01, 2020, 09:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Which is worse:- Facing this season with no more defensive signings or dropping to 91st and losing 2-1 to the bottom club Torquay?

For me being 91st and looking at going out of the football league.  At least we will only drop down one division now in an embarrassing manner but back then to possible non-league oblivion. 

092.gif

Mince n Tatties

bog

bill taylors apprentice

Of course being 91st is far worse and I'm sure we can both think of many more worse situations our clubs been in over the years.

This current situation must be a tiny bit like the perceived "trauma" fans of the likes of ManU & Arse create for themselves with their feeling of entitlement.

In our case though we are not aiming for the stars, just the moon will do for us and despite even that being difficult enough we keep shooting ourselves in the foot!

Jim©

I think there's a big lack of perspective in what we are seeing now to those dark days.
We knew, 100%, that things would be tough this season and the last 3 league games have pushed a sizeable chunk of support to claim all sorts of crazy stuff.
Amazing how fickle some supporters are unfortunately.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Jim© on October 01, 2020, 09:21:08 AM
I think there's a big lack of perspective in what we are seeing now to those dark days.
We knew, 100%, that things would be tough this season and the last 3 league games have pushed a sizeable chunk of support to claim all sorts of crazy stuff.
Amazing how fickle some supporters are unfortunately.

Yes there has been some crazy reactions from some like calling for Scotty's head.
I think it's more down to fear that what happened 2 years ago is going to happen again.

Lighthouse

I was far more emotionally involved in those days. It was frankly devastating and makes our present struggles seem insignificant.

But it is just a shame that now the same mistakes are being made over and over again at every level. In the days of being bottom of the league we were fighting impossible odds and frankly it seemed hopeless. But now we seem to be making decisions and failing and the awful failure at this level looks to be partly our own doing.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

No doubt those days, so close to losing league status, were by far the worst ever of watching Fulham.
I actually wrote to Jimmy Hill at the time and had a response from him explaining the financial problems he faced and assuring me that everything thing possible was being done to improve matters but in all honesty he could make no promises.
Oh for a man like Jimmy Hill right now as Director of Football with all of the finances to back him.

It is because of those bad times that we jealously guard premiership status, we really don't want to start a slide down the ladder again.

blingo

Carborundum

Neither is as bad as not being able to go to games.  I'm not passionate about watching football on TV -  I'll decide what to look at thank you not the cameraman or director.  Playoffs on TV were compelling, but league games not so much and quite often I prefer radio.

No more defensive signings would mean a go-through-the-motions season followed by a rebuild which is always interesting.  Getting relegated is never fun, but the Conference can be a lot of fun, so the other scenario isn't quite the apocalypse.

HV71

Big is obviously right - and appalling times like that should never be forgotten as they add real perspective. Lighthouse ( as often only he can ) delivers a point that is probably at the heart of our current sense of hopelessness when he says

" But now we seem to be making decisions and failing and the awful failure at this level looks to be partly our own doing."

... which probably wasn't the case back then

HV71

I Ronic

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Carborundum on October 01, 2020, 09:47:01 AM
Neither is as bad as not being able to go to games.  I'm not passionate about watching football on TV -  I'll decide what to look at thank you not the cameraman or director.  Playoffs on TV were compelling, but league games not so much and quite often I prefer radio.

No more defensive signings would mean a go-through-the-motions season followed by a rebuild which is always interesting.  Getting relegated is never fun, but the Conference can be a lot of fun, so the other scenario isn't quite the apocalypse.
:plus one: My feelings exactly.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

bog

Quote from: HV71 on October 01, 2020, 10:12:12 AM
Sorry Bog - Big was predictive text

No problem, I've been called far worse....

Kent Cassandra

Yes Mike, bad days, but we never gave up hope.
I remember playing Brighton away when they had no ground to speak of and
standing on the touchline with my wife watching our the manager Micky Adams
who was forced to play himself directing operations from the wing.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

bog

The bottom line is we are all Fulham supporters. 67 years me.  Through thick and thin and it is pretty thin right now. When the thick moments come along don't we appreciate and really enjoy them! (The draw that took us up with Mickey Adams, The white wall and Hamburg square as some) :clap_hands:  :yay:  So sod it we aint the unfortunate and saddening Bury or Macclesfield good luck to them.

COYW!  049:gif 

Yes Terry what times they were. Hope all is well

ALG01

we all know in the grand scheme of things that was worse.

But the old adage two wrongs and all that.

We had no money then and faced the abyss

we have money now but are squanbndering the opportuniity to kick on. There are real long term dangers for us now if we do not sort out the playing side properly.