watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (01/12/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 01, 2010, 07:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6541292,00.html?

Senderos recovery on track
Defender staying positive following Achilles injury

Fulham defender Philippe Senderos has confirmed his recovery from a ruptured Achilles tendon is on schedule.

Senderos suffered the injury in training just days before the start of the Premier League season and was ruled out for six months.

The 25-year-old joined the Cottagers from Arsenal on a free transfer and he is making progress towards his debut for Mark Hughes' side.

A firm date has yet to be decided for the centre-half's return, but Senderos is happy with the way his rehabilitation is going.

Pleasing

"The cast is off now and I'm walking without crutches again which feels great," said Senderos. "The rehabilitation is going well and I'm on schedule, which is pleasing.

"I've had my share of injuries down the years but that has always been the way I have looked at it. You have to try and be positive.

"Of course it can be hard, especially for a new player because all you want to do is be part of things and to fit in. You have to do all you can to keep feeling like you are part of the team.

"I know I will be back stronger than ever and I can't wait to run out there in the white shirt of Fulham."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6541315,00.html?

Hughes challenge for Pantsil
Fulham boss wants full-back to prove his worth

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has challenged John Pantsil to battle his way back into his first-team plans.

Pantsil made his first appearance for over a month in the weekend draw with Birmingham, as he came on for the injured Carlos Salcido.
Now Hughes has urged Pantsil to maintain his place in the side after confirming he understands the full-back's frustration.

"John's been great, he's had to wait his time," Hughes told the club's official website.

"I thought he did really well in fairness; he's made a real case to play next week as well.

"That's what you need to do, bide your time and when you get an opportunity, you've got to take it.

"I would expect him to be frustrated because he wants to play - every player at every Premier League club wants to play.

"But you can't always get into the side, and that's what happened to John. He had a little loss of form at the start of the season and lost his place but now he's got an opportunity to stay in the team."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/SEATMascotCompetition.aspx?

Arsenal v Fulham Mascot Competition

To celebrate the announcement of Fulham's new 'Official Car Partner', SEAT are offering one lucky child the opportunity to be the official Fulham match day mascot for the Club's match against Arsenal on Saturday 4th December at The Emirates Stadium.

This once in a lifetime experience will see the lucky winner meet their Fulham heroes and accompany them onto the pitch to take part in the pre-game warm up.

All entries must already have a ticket to the match however a full Fulham kit will be provided.

How to enter:

Simply email your name, address, contact number and the name and age of your child to [email protected]

Please note: to enter your child must be between 5-12 years old. The competition will close at 15:00 on Wednesday 1st December.  Terms and Conditions apply.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/SEATMascotCompetition.aspx?#ixzz16qPMItJb

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/47556/Forgotten_man_reveals_The_cast_is_off_and_rehab_is_going_well.aspx?

Forgotten man reveals: The cast is off and rehab is going well

Fulham defender Philippe Senderos is making good progress in his recovery from an Achilles heel injury. The Swiss international has yet to play a competitive game for the Cottagers since making the permanent switch from Arsenal in the summer.

Snapped up by Roy Hodgson, before the tactician left for Liverpool, the 25-year-old was tipped to form a strong partnership alongside Brede Hangeland but suffered the fitness setback just days before the start of the season.

Having racked up seven years experience at both Highbury and the Emirates, as well as loan spells with Everton and AC Milan, the imposing stopper should still have a bright future at Craven Cottage although a definitive return date has yet to be set.

"The cast is off now and I'm walking without crutches again which feels great," said Senderos. "The rehabilitation is going well and I'm on schedule, which is pleasing.

"I've had my share of injuries down the years but that has always been the way I have looked at it. You have to try and be positive.

"Of course it can be hard, especially for a new player because all you want to do is be part of things and to fit in. You have to do all you can to keep feeling like you are part of the team.

"I know I will be back stronger than ever and I can't wait to run out there in the white shirt of Fulham. "

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=223268

Another Frustrating Saturday Afternoon
So yet another home against a team we would think the team has the quality to beat, but yet again they have come away with yet another frustrating draw. The inability to turn these draws into wins is becoming quite worrying. As of today, the club sit just outside the relegation zone, largely thanks to West Ham beating Wigan, which has arguably made things even closer in the lower echelons of the table.

The next four fixtures seem to be crucial. Two away trips to Arsenal and Liverpool look tough on paper but the optimist in me hopes for a sneaky point at Anfield. It is the next two home fixtures that are the definition of must-wins. Sunderland and West Ham are two more teams who we would hope the team should beat at the Cottage. If the team fail to win these two home matches then it is safe to say we will not even be averaging a point a game at the midway stage of the season.

The main point of frustration is that two months on from his injury, Mark Hughes has still yet to find a plan B in the absence of Bobby Zamora. Diomansy Kamara looked poor upfront and it took a scrappy goal from Clint Dempsey to rescue the point.

There was one major positive from Saturday. That was the return of John Pantsil. Frozen out by Mark Hughes, he looked energetic and capable of making something happen when he replaced Carlos Salcido. With Pantsil at right back with Chris Baird at left back, the team looked a lot more solid at the back and more dominant overall. Hopefully Hughes will have noticed Pantsil's evident quality and enthusiasm.

If the team can pick up six points from the next four games, then we would be in a more secure league position with a more optimistic outlook heading into the January transfer window.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=223268#ixzz16qPvrAX4

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/on-mark-hughes/?

On Mark Hughes
Filed under: General — rich
Next we're going to look at Mark Hughes' time at Blackburn.  We'll do this quickly and concisely, using the power of charting.

Here's him and the two seasons either side of his time in charge.   While most of our fans would probably baulk at the suggestion (I think some feel that we should be a perennial 7th place team, and that failure to 'push on' shows a 'lack of ambition' – as if things were that simple when you're being bankrolled by a private individual – read this excellent piece on Bolton's debts to see just how silly the whole thing has got.   We simply don't generate the money to 'push on'.) , Blackburn have been a bit better than us over the years, bouncing up and down the league with fairly pleasing symmetry.

Indeed, in the nine years we're considering, Blackburn have a pleasing baseline of 10th, which they've placed three times.   They've had three seasons above this and three below.    Mark Hughes took the team to some decent placings, but they finished well before him and did okay after him, too, so I think it's fair to say that Hughes did what he'd have been expected to do when he was hired:  Rovers were about as strong under Hughes as could reasonably have been expected.

Which was the case for Fulham under Roy Hodgson, too.    Hughes has shown that he can take a fair to middling club and get results.   If you think that managerial competency can be applied to more than one environment (I assume it can) then really there's no reason to think that Hughes can't do a job at Fulham.   It's the same thing he had to do at Blackburn, but with some added rebuilding (Hodgson had a "type" of player and Fulham now have a lot of these types; Hughes probably wants something different but Hodgson's players aren't great on re-sale value, so Hughes is in a bit of a spot and must hope he does enough to convince the Chairman to spend more money; selling to buy really isn't an option).

We haven't had the best of starts, but given the injuries, what we're seeing is well within the bounds of normal.    Hughes and his team just have to keep at it – results should come.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/SEATandFulhamTeamUp.aspx?

SEAT and Fulham Team Up

Fulham Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of SEAT as its Official Car Supplier.

The two-year deal will see SEAT supply the Whites club with a number of vehicles for use.

A variety of new SEAT models feature in the deal including the luxurious Exeo saloon, accomplished Exeo ST and capacious new seven-seat SEAT Alhambra MPV.

SEAT is an increasingly well-known name in football circles thanks to a host of UK and European sponsorships, most notably its three-year UEFA Europa League agreement which sees the Spanish brand grab the limelight as presenting sponsor of the pan-European tournament.

Here in the UK, SEAT has been proudly associated with a number of Premier League sides. This year has also seen the staging of the inaugural SEAT FIVES tournament to put amateur teams to the test in the quest for the grand prize of a 'money can't buy' VIP trip to Hamburg for the UEFA Europa League Final which took place in May.

The latest deal, with London's oldest top-flight side, sees SEAT link up with a club that can trace its roots back more than 130 years.

Led by charismatic chairman Mohamed Al Fayed the club has a history of big-name players, too. Johnny Haynes, George Cohen, Jimmy Hill, Bobby Robson and George Best are just a few of the legends to have donned the black and white shirt over the decades.

Welcoming the opportunity to forge a new association with Fulham FC, SEAT UK's Head of Marketing Steve Robertson said: 'This deal fits perfectly with our ongoing mission to develop strong and consistent links with football teams, and their fans.

'We all admired Fulham's exceptional success in the SEAT-sponsored Europa League last season, and I very much hope we'll be seeing more great performances from the Whites as this season progresses.'

Fulham Football Club Chief Executive, Alistair Mackintosh, added: 'I am delighted to welcome SEAT as Fulham's official car partner.

'The Club has made significant strides since reaching the Europa League final last May which include an associate membership of the esteemed European Club Association. Our partnership with SEAT, a very well-respected European brand, will assist in maintaining Fulham's presence as an established Premier League Club, with European ambitions, to international markets.'

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/SEATandFulhamTeamUp.aspx?#ixzz16qQhZSpm

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/AgentsFees.aspx?

Payments to Agents – 2009/10

As a requirement of the Football Association Agents' Regulations, it is necessary for each club to publish the total Agents' Fees paid during the period 1 October to 30 September each year.

The following is Fulham's disclosure:

Total payments 09/10: £2,087,373.55

Fees relating to purchases & contract renegotiations pre-09/10: £1,232,628.64

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/AgentsFees.aspx?#ixzz16qR0DUKo

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1334481/Premier-League-clubs-reduce-spending-agents-fees-3m--figure-tops-67m.html?

Premier League clubs reduce spending on agents' fees by £3m - but figure still tops £67m

Chelsea paid more than £9million in agents' fees despite signing only two players, according to figures revealed by the Premier League last night.

Blackpool spent just £45,000 but the total amount paid out by clubs in the year to September 30 was still a massive £67m. The figures will cause fresh concern among those who feel the sport is haemorrhaging its profits to agents.

Chelsea topped the list after spending more than £9m for the second year in a row but big-spending Manchester City halved their outlay.

Manchester United's relative lack of activity in the transfer market was reflected by their modest contribution of £2.3m, although it does not include Paul Stretford's cut of the Wayne Rooney's £250,00-a-week deal.

Chelsea's payments are all the more surprising because coach Carlo Ancelotti only signed Ramires at £18m from Benfica and paid Liverpool £6m for Yossi Benayoun. Nicolas Anelka and Michael Essien both secured lucrative new contracts in the summer, from which their representatives will have received a cut.

Joe Cole's free transfer from Stamford Bridge to Anfield is one of the reasons behind Liverpool's total of £9m, with his agent pocketing a share of his signing-on fee and £90,000-a-week four-year deal.

Liverpool also incurred fees connected with the decision to part company with Rafael Benitez and replace the Spaniard with Roy Hodgson, who subsequently signed Raul Meireles, Christian Poulsen and Paul Konchesky in addition to Cole. The figure includes earlier deals to sign Milan Jovanovic and Maxi Rodriguez.

Premier League newcomers Blackpool spent just £45,000 thanks to a policy of making players foot the bill for most of their agents' fees.

Chief executive Karl Oyston said at the time: 'I don't think any deal should be about the agent. It should be about the player, about giving them a platform to perform on one of world's best stages. Agents are sometimes denying their clients that chance.'

PREMIER LEAGUE Total
Arsenal £3,660,199 Aston Villa £2,279,536.50 Birmingham City £1,518,529.09 Blackburn Rovers £1,623,232.92 Blackpool £45,000 Bolton Wanderers £3,549,316.72 Chelsea £9,293,751.48 Everton £3,599,040.51 Fulham £2,087,373.55 Liverpool £9,032,528.49 Manchester City £5,952,261.33 Manchester United £2,312,726 Newcastle United £2,417,776 Stoke City £2,196,968.50 Sunderland £4,421,990.72 Tottenham Hotspur £5,361,229.87 West Bromwich Albion £614,195.73 West Ham United £3,419,089.99 Wigan Athletic £2,461,500 Wolverhampton Wanderers £1,291,794
Total £67,138,040.40

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1334481/Premier-League-clubs-reduce-spending-agents-fees-3m--figure-tops-67m.html#ixzz16qRO6n9c

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/11/the_greatest_show_on_earth_par.php?

The Greatest Show on Earth Part II

BBC Panorama's over-hyped expose of shady figures and dirty laundry at FIFA HQ has been and gone. It told us nothing we didn't know, but it's timing can only do harm to England's bid

Civilizations have not crumbled and the earth remains on its axis. The most telling phrase I've heard repeated in the last 48 hours, "FIFA has put its house in order." Hmm...indeed. Sounds like an admission of past wrongdoing to me. There's also been a return of £3 million of inappropriate payments. Certain big figures have been named, most notably Issa Hayatou, head of the African Federation.

The unfortunate timing of both the Sunday Times 'revelations' and Panorama's follow up has somewhat blurred the vision of England's real chances of gaining the 2018 World Cup, with recriminations ready-made for Thursday's announcement, should it go against us. And I think it will.

Our failed bid in 2006 came with a degree of arrogance redolent of those heading up the English game at the time. A gaggle of inadequates at the top had got the financing of the new Wembley spectacularly wrong and considerably reduced our standing in world football. I well remember seeing the English bid team around the world handing out toy red busses while Beckenbauer obliterated them with his dazzling smile, persona and linguistic skills. Englishmen do not mingle comfortably with foreigners, insularity is in our genes.

Now we have Becks, Cameron and our next king all in Zurich hoping to win hearts and minds at the death. Why bother sitting down with the snake-oil salesmen, the deals have been done.

England say they have the fans, the grounds and the infrastructure to warrant success. Really? The Germans built an impressive list of huge grounds for 1974. For 2006 they went out and did the whole programme again, only better. Integrated metro stations, open space sites, an outdoor cafe culture of a kind the UK has never embraced, superb road and rail networks.

England's blueprint boasts none of this. We put forward a list of old and small inner-city grounds, utterly unsuitable when aligned to our creaking transport system. "England has the fans and the passion." Well who doesn't? This is empty PR rhetoric. Are we going to shed our inhibitions by 2018 and welcome the world with a handshake? More likely to greet Johnny Foreigner with the same blast of World War 2 tunes we boorishly sung to hordes of bemused locals around Cologne, Frankfurt and Hamburg in 2006. Detestable.

Spare our blushes FIFA. Russia may be challenging - chaotic and corrupt, dodgy transportation, shortage of decent hotel rooms, large distances to cover...but they will put on a sporting show and their natural resources mean they can afford it. Spain and Portugal may both be heading for the poor house but the ambience would be great, and they have friends in high places. Belgium/Holland apparently had the worst inspection report and look to be be the outsiders.

All wil be revealed from Zurich on Thursday. Are you holding your breath?

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1334529/Fulham-consider-5m-January-Boltons-loan-ranger-Ali-Al-Habsi.html?

Fulham consider £5m January move for Bolton's loan ranger Ali Al Habsi

Fulham are weighing up a January transfer bid for Bolton goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi despite his £5million valuation. The 28-year-old is enjoying a stellar spell at Wigan where he is on loan.

Fulham are monitoring a couple of keepers as they wait on Mark Schwarzer signing a new contract but are also wary he is due to join up with Australia in January for the Asia Cup.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1334529/Fulham-consider-5m-January-Boltons-loan-ranger-Ali-Al-Habsi.html#ixzz16qSDiBRT

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/Advent1-AirMalta.aspx?

Win with Air Malta

Win two flights to Malta, courtesy of Air Malta our Official European Airline Partner!

In the first of our great Christmas offers you can win two flights to Malta courtesy of Air Malta, our Official European Airline Partner.

Malta, thanks to a strong British heritage, is a nation of football enthusiasts and an excellent short-break destination to catch some Mediterranean sun, without missing out on any fixtures. Offering daily flights from Gatwick and Heathrow, 5 weekly flights from Manchester and twice-weekly flights from Birmingham, hot, sunny weather is just a short three-hour flight away.

For your chance to win this great prize, enter our free prize draw below. By entering your details, you agree to allow the Club to contact you by e-mail regarding Club news and offers.

Christmas Competition from Fulham FC

Name* 
Email* 
Client Ref No (if known) 

By participating in this competition, you are agreeing to receive email communication from Fulham Football Club. We will not pass on your details to any third parties and you will be able to unsubscribe at any time.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/Advent1-AirMalta.aspx?#ixzz16qSY3hyZ

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-move-trump-wigan-bolton-keeper-al-habsi-1291481?

Fulham move to trump Wigan for Bolton keeper Al Habsi

Fulham are preparing an offer for Bolton Wanderers goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi.

The Daily Mail says the Cottagers are weighing up a January transfer bid for Al Habsi despite his £5million valuation.

The 28-year-old is enjoying a stellar spell at Wigan where he is on loan.

Fulham are monitoring a couple of keepers as they wait on Mark Schwarzer signing a new contract but are also wary he is due to join up with Australia in January for the Asia Cup.

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/3171/5/fulham-eye-£5million-cisse-solve-striker-woes

Fulham eye £5million Cisse to solve striker woes

Fulham are ready to pay Freiburg £5m for free-scoring striker Demba Cisse.

The Senegalese striker has hit 10 goals in 14 games for the Bundesliga side this season, alerting a string of top European clubs.

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has had major injury problems in attack this season with Mousa Dembele, Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson all suffering problems.

So, according to the French newspaper L'Equipe, Hughes is lining up a January offer for Cisse, 25, in a bid to boost his goalscoring options.

Tom

Quote from: WhiteJC on December 01, 2010, 08:05:02 AM
http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-move-trump-wigan-bolton-keeper-al-habsi-1291481?

Fulham move to trump Wigan for Bolton keeper Al Habsi

Fulham are preparing an offer for Bolton Wanderers goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi.

The Daily Mail says the Cottagers are weighing up a January transfer bid for Al Habsi despite his £5million valuation.

The 28-year-old is enjoying a stellar spell at Wigan where he is on loan.

:dead horse: :dead horse: :dead horse:
Fulham for life!

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/HolidayCoursesSmashRecords.aspx?

Holiday Courses Smash Records

A record number of players took part in the Foundation's Holiday Courses over the October half-term.

Almost 600 boys and girls aged between 3 and 14 attended courses at venues across South London and Surrey, learning lots of new skills and improving their technique. All players participated in tournaments every afternoon and some even had the chance to put their skills to the test in the 'Coach vs Kid Challenge'!

Run by qualified and experienced Foundation coaches, the courses provide a great introduction to football for beginners, through fun activities and games, as well as individual challenges and team activities for those more experienced, developing their skills.

All players that booked in advance and attended the course for the whole week received two free tickets to see Fulham beat Wigan at Craven Cottage and also received the new Foundation Holiday Course medal!

The Christmas Holiday Course dates have now been released, with courses running from Monday 13th December 2010 to Wednesday 5th January 2011. We hope to see you there!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/HolidayCoursesSmashRecords.aspx?#ixzz16rJJHhbh

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/FFCEnterprise.aspx?

FFC Enterprise

The Enterprise Programme, launched by the Foundation in January 2010, is successfully educating young people into the inner workings of our Premier League Football Club.

Throughout the programme students complete modules focusing on different departments within the club and complete real-life challenges that our football club staff face on a day-to-day basis.

Those who have participated in the programme have developed an understanding of how a business operates and improved their enterprise skills, resulting in increased educational attainment and raised pupil-aspirations.

The OCR accredited course, delivered by the Foundation's qualified teachers, is taught in a 10 module programme and emphasises a cross-curricular link to many other subjects including literacy, numeracy and ICT. It also has a strong emphasis on teamwork, respect for others, responsibility and communication, thus having a positive impact in the lifestyle of those involved.

After a successful first year the Fulham Football Club Foundation are looking for opportunities to expand our Enterprise Programme. If you are interested or have any questions please contact the Foundation on 0870 442 5432.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/FFCEnterprise.aspx?#ixzz16rJWnd00

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/cottagers-monitor-man-utd-keeper-1128045.html?

Cottagers monitor Man Utd keeper

Fulham are monitoring Bolton Wanderers goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi and Tomasz Kuszczak - who has been told he can leave Man Utd.

The Cottagers are weighing up a January transfer bid for Al Habsi, currently enjoying a loan spell at Wigan, despite his £5million valuation.

The 28-year-old no longer wants to be a number two, while Kuszczak has been relegated to number three at Old Trafford following their recent acquisition of Anders Lindegaard.

Fulham are monitoring both players as they wait on Mark Schwarzer signing a new contract but are also wary he is due to join up with Australia in January for the Asia Cup.

WhiteJC

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/club-dedicates-fulham-game-to-centrepoint?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arsenal-news+%28News+Feed%29

Club dedicates Fulham game to Centrepoint

Arsenal Football Club is dedicating its Premier League match against Fulham Football Club to its Charity of the Season, Centrepoint, London's largest youth homeless charity.

As part of the day, players and Directors will be donating a day's wages to help raise funds for the charity, while supporters are also encouraged to get involved and give what they can to contribute to the Club's 'Be a Gooner. Be a Giver.' campaign, which aims to raise £500,000 throughout the season to create a state-of-the-art facility for homeless young people at a refurbished centre in Soho.

A host of fundraising initiatives will take place in and around Emirates Stadium at the match and a number of volunteers will be collecting at Emirates Stadium giving supporters the chance to give what they can. 50 pence from every matchday programme sold will go to the charity and fans can also get their hands on a limited edition co-branded Arsenal and Centrepoint bobble hat, which will be on sale before the match at the All Arsenal and The Armoury stores and on the podium outside the stadium.  They will be £10 with all proceeds going to the charity.

Supporters are also invited to enter a fundraising competition to win a trip for two to Dubai in a charitable text-to-win raffle. The prize has been generously donated by Arsenal's Brazilian midfielder Denilson, with flights courtesy of Club sponsor Emirates Airline. Fans can enter by texting ARSENAL to 83023 for their chance to win. Texts cost £3 with at least half the money from each text being donated to Centrepoint. Club partners Citröen will be at the stadium creating a bespoke piece of artwork using remote controlled cars, which will be auctioned off in support of the campaign.

Speaking ahead of the dedicated matchday, Arsenal manager, Arsène Wenger, said: "Centrepoint do some fantastic work with young homeless people across London, helping them to develop essential life skills to get back on their feet and stay off the streets permanently. We are delighted to be showing our support by donating a day's wages, which will enable Centrepoint to continue their important work in the capital."

"Having been involved with our Club's charities for a number of years now, I am always struck by the amazing generosity shown by our supporters, so I hope that they will join us yet again in supporting this worthy cause and dig deep on Saturday to help raise essential funds towards the 'Be a Gooner. Be a Giver. campaign."

Arsenal Football Club CEO, Ivan Gazidis, added: "Centrepoint do some fantastic work with young homeless people across London, helping them to develop essential life skills to get back on their feet and stay off the streets permanently.

"We're delighted to be showing our support today in a number of ways which will enable Centrepoint to continue their important work in the capital and raise awareness of what they do. We encourage all supporters to get behind this campaign in the same way they always have done for our work in the community and with the Charity of the Season partnership.  Their help and support is vital to the success of this initiative."

Arsenal will also give 19 year-old Kareem Leigh the opportunity to carry the match ball out onto the pitch alongside the two teams before kick-off. Kareem became homeless after suffering a series of setbacks and family problems. He is currently supported by Centrepoint who are helping him to secure a positive future and a chance to stay off the streets permanently.

Seyi Obakin, Chief Executive of Centrepoint, added: "We are very much looking forward to Centrepoint's dedicated matchday and are grateful to the players, Directors and supporters for helping us towards our target of raising £500,000 to refurbish one of our services for homeless young people in Soho. The money will make a huge difference to the lives of homeless young people in London, helping them reengage in education and work and gain essential life skills to help them look forward to a brighter and more confident future.'

For more information on the Charity of the Season partnership and to donate, visit www.beagoonerbeagiver.org

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/SenderosOnTrack.aspx?

Senderos On Track

A ruptured Achilles tendon a month into his arrival was far from an ideal start to life at Fulham for Philippe Senderos.

The first of the Club's summer transfer acquisitions, the free signing from Arsenal was an impressive capture with some seven years of Premier League and international experience behind his imposing shoulders.

In 2006 it was a combination of his power and Kolo Touré's pace that did much to help the Gunners reach the Final of the Champions League, meanwhile, since making his Switzerland debut in March 2005, he has played at two World Cup Finals.

An FA Cup winner too, he has also spent time on loan at AC Milan and Everton. At 25, Senderos has seen and done much in the game – he is a more than capable top-flight performer.

"I do have quite a bit of experience and I've played at the top for a while now," agrees Philippe. "I think that was a reason why I was brought to the Club. It's funny because I sometimes feel that people forget just how long I have been playing professional football.

"The move to Fulham was an appealing proposition for me. I've long held the Club in high regard and on the back of the season they had last year it was an exciting opportunity for me. It's just a shame that my early time here hasn't gone how I would have hoped."

Senderos is, of course, referring to the injury he suffered during one of his first training sessions at Motspur Park - one that has subsequently kept him out of action for more than four months.

Like any new signing, he had been champing at the bit to impress his new team-mates and coaches; eager to make his Fulham bow, so it came as quite a blow when that opportunity had to be put on hold.

Injuries can never come at a good time for a club or a player, but for one looking to make an immediate impact in new surroundings, it is particularly crushing. So too is it for a young hopeful looking to make his way in the game, which is what also happened to Senderos when he spent his debut season in England watching his team-mates go unbeaten in the league whilst he sat injured on the sidelines.

"Injury is just part of the game, albeit a cruel one," he says philosophically. "You just have to look at it as an obstacle that you need to overcome and as an opportunity to come back stronger.

"I've had my share of injuries down the years, but that has always been the way I have looked at it. I think you have to try and be positive, although admittedly that is very difficult.

"Of course, it can be hard, especially for a new player because all you want to do is be part of things and to fit in. I'm in the gym or with the physio, while the others are out on the training pitch.

"But you have to do all you can to keep feeling like you are part of the team – it's important. I have tried to make sure that I am being seen working hard because, like them, I am committed to taking this team forward.

"The cast is off now, and I'm walking without crutches again which feels great. The rehabilitation is going well and I'm on schedule, which is pleasing. The Club has been very supportive, and I'm very fortunate to be working with such a dedicated and experienced medical team. I know I will be back, and stronger than ever."

Having watched the season so far unfold from the Cottage balcony, the thoughtful Senderos makes a considered and interesting assessment when discussing Fulham's current standing.

"It is hard for me to talk too much about performances and results," says Philippe. "I haven't been out there and involved in the action. But I think I share the same opinion as most: That we are solid, working hard and playing good football.

"The only thing that is missing are the three points, but that will come. Believe me, it is easier to turn that around when you're playing well; when you're not, that is when there is a problem.

"I don't think we should be panicking. The players and coaches are focused on getting the Club where they belong – and that is in the top half of the table."

Over the years Senderos has called some of the game's greats team-mates and friends, with the likes of Ronaldinho, Kaka and Alessandro Nesta joining Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira and Dennis Bergkamp in an illustrious band of individuals.

Recognising when he is in the company of quality, it came as no surprise to hear Philippe talk so positively when assessing the pedigree of Fulham's central defensive partnership.

"Aaron Hughes and Brede Hangeland are two of the best in the Premier League," he confirms. "It's a partnership that works very well; they are composed, good on the ball and excellent readers of the game.

"No matter who they go head-to-head with, they are never fazed. What impresses me most is the fact that you can go through whole games and not really notice them – that for me is a sign of a very good defender.

"But there is a lot of quality in this team, and that was another reason behind my decision to join Fulham. It was something that motivated me. These are top players, ones that play good football, and that's something that I want to be part of."

Philippe's career has so far taken him from Arsenal's Highbury and Emirates Stadium, to international arenas and via European destinations such as the Stadio Delle Alpi, Bernabeu and the San Siro, to our very own home on the edge of the River Thames.

And it is a journey he is looking forward to extending.

"I have played at some the best stadiums in the world," he says. "But there are very few places that are as special as Craven Cottage. It's a unique setting and a place I always liked as a visiting player.

"A lot of the stadiums that you see today could be anywhere in the world. But one look at Craven Cottage and you know exactly where you are. This is what people refer to as a proper football ground.

"I can't wait to run out there in the white shirt of Fulham. This is a club that has achieved a lot in recent seasons and I want to add to that and make up for my lost time."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/SenderosOnTrack.aspx?#ixzz16rKOVs3N