News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

C Ronaldo has Covid... Again, International Football, Why ?

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, October 13, 2020, 07:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeeeeeeeeed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54528942

Was in Paris a few days ago playing France, now he has tested positive for Covid.

Stop international football now, it's ridiculous.

bencher

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on October 13, 2020, 07:05:58 PM

Was in Paris a few days ago playing France, now he has tested positive for Covid.

While I agree in principle, the problem is, where do you draw the line? You could equally make the case to stop club football.

Denzil Dexter

Does he though? These tests sound like a lottery

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Steeeeeeeeeed

Quote from: bencher on October 13, 2020, 07:07:23 PM

While I agree in principle, the problem is, where do you draw the line? You could equally make the case to stop club football.

I think international travel is the issue at the moment. Domestic football can carry on.

jarv

I agree with Steeeeeed....international means lot of travel. Besides, club football is the life blood of the game. Internationals are a nice spectacle to enjoy but have no relevance right now.

Statto

Quote from: Denzil Dexter on October 13, 2020, 07:54:51 PM

Pretty sure the accuracy rates are generally over 99%.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Denzil Dexter on October 13, 2020, 07:54:51 PM

The UK government published a document back in June which estimated that national PCR testing for COVID-19 has a median false-positive rate of 2.3% (or a range of 0.8% - 4.0%). For example if the UK completed 285,000 tests today we would expect a median of 6,555 of those results to be false positives (false-negatives would be expected as well).

These numbers won't be relevant to the testing of Cristiano Ronaldo, but if they were nonetheless true I don't think they'd be a reliable gauge for footballers as since Project Restart we'd have expected to see a lot more positive cases confirmed among Premier League footballers. It could be that PCR testing is a lot more clear-cut for professional athletes (who train outside, are less likely to use public transport, more likely to not yet have children etc) than society in general (for example office workers or teachers).

A positive test also does not necessarily mean that you've been infected or are infectious - it could be that dead traces of the virus have been detected, or live traces of the virus have been detected but these have not transmitted in to your system.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: bencher on October 13, 2020, 07:07:23 PM

The problem is you take players from a dozen or more clubs across multiple countries and place them together for 1-2 weeks. They may also travel to 2 or 3 different countries in that span. So that is possibly hundreds of new potential exposures. You take those players and 10-12 days later reintroduce them to their club squads which in many instances have several to a dozen players exiting the same circumstance. If you were looking for a scenario to undermine club football seasons, this could be pretty effective.

horse1031

I got sick and tested negative early September.  I was pretty sure I had it so I took and antibody test last week and I was positive.  Those tests are very sketchy.

Statto

Quote from: horse1031 on October 14, 2020, 02:57:20 AM
I got sick and tested negative early September.  I was pretty sure I had it so I took and antibody test last week and I was positive.  Those tests are very sketchy.

But there are plenty of explanations for that which are far more likely than either test being wrong. For example, that you had symptomless Covid earlier in the year (highly likely given numbers were high and most cases were symptomless) and had something else in early September (highly likely given numbers were much lower then).

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

This PLANdemic is a joke. The powers that be don't know what they're doing, almost like, they make it up as they go along.

I do wonder who all those northern numpties that voted this shower in, feel now the northern towns are being hammered yet again.

Twig

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

horse1031

Quote from: Statto on October 14, 2020, 08:55:24 AM

But there are plenty of explanations for that which are far more likely than either test being wrong. For example, that you had symptomless Covid earlier in the year (highly likely given numbers were high and most cases were symptomless) and had something else in early September (highly likely given numbers were much lower then).

definitely some truth to that Statto.  The only thing I can say is that the numbers where I am are WAY higher now and in Sept then they have been the rest of the year ie March or April.  Oh, i forgot to say my wife got sick 4 days after I started my symptoms and she tested POSITIVE.  So it all points to me having it when i tested negative.  This is the same narrative I hear from others in my area.

Statto

Quote from: horse1031 on October 14, 2020, 03:43:28 PM

definitely some truth to that Statto.  The only thing I can say is that the numbers where I am are WAY higher now and in Sept then they have been the rest of the year ie March or April.  Oh, i forgot to say my wife got sick 4 days after I started my symptoms and she tested POSITIVE.  So it all points to me having it when i tested negative.  This is the same narrative I hear from others in my area.

Fair enough. Take it you're up North? TBH I was really just objecting to a different post (not yours) above that seemed to me to be repeating some of the fake news currently going around that all these latest positive test results are just false positives.

horse1031

Quote from: Statto on October 14, 2020, 04:08:18 PM
Quote from: horse1031 on October 14, 2020, 03:43:28 PM

Fair enough. Take it you're up North? TBH I was really just objecting to a different post (not yours) above that seemed to me to be repeating some of the fake news currently going around that all these latest positive test results are just false positives.

there is a ton of false negatives but i think the positives are pretty accurate.

yup, upper midwest - everyone has it up here.  my dad has it right now

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RufusBrevettatemyhamster on October 14, 2020, 10:10:59 AM
This PLANdemic is a joke. The powers that be don't know what they're doing, almost like, they make it up as they go along.

I do wonder who all those northern numpties that voted this shower in, feel now the northern towns are being hammered yet again.

Who allowed Piers Corbyn on this site.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite